The 2023 Music Thread

GoGo Yubari

On 04/02/2023 at 13:11, RPS said:

The Men's album New York City was a nice rock album. Very heavy and crunchy. No real standouts for me.

Lil Yachtys album was enjoyable. I get the criticism of rappers turning away from hip hop to be taken seriously. But it's a good psychedelic pop album. 

RAYE's album titled My 21th Century Blues is a fun little pop album. Not life changing but personal and enjoyable. 

The best album I have heard this year is the Young Father's Heavy Heavy. I liked their last album. This one is in a similar vein. Straddles the line between hip hop, pop, and experimental music. 

Thank you for posting this. Just listened to it and I've been blown away by how much I dig this. A lovely mix of Neo-Psych, Neo-Soul, Art Pop, Gospel, Spirituals and Experimental Hip Hop. 

See I've listened to three of those and Young Fathers was my least favourite. Enjoyed Raye's album, thought The Men was middling, the Young Gathers one did nothing for me. Haven't gotten to Lil Yachty yet.

Mod Sun has jumped up to the top end of my list, but we're getting "new" Linkin Park music tomorrow so everything else is irrelevant to me.

So I'm listening to the new Shania Twain album while doing dishes today and low and behold, she's dropping F-Bombs in some of her lyrics... 2023, what a time to be alive.

(also some catchy tunes on that album, have to say). 

Also listened to the new Lukas Gram album, Pink... he knocked it out of the park. I mean, it's not better than his Purple Album which is truly one of my faves to listen to from start to finish (genius artist imo), but was a strong follow up.

This song first came out in 2021 but the Irish post-punk band's debut album came out this year. It's probably the best song on the album, overall a good listen.

Smithsonian Folkways put out a great album of songs played on the ekonting, a proto-banjo from Senegal and The Gambia. This one's my favorite.

I have listened to a lot recently. Most of it was good, but very little to rave over.

The Gorillaz album is pretty terrible. It feels uninspired. It feels like Damon Albarn has been reusing the same ideas since Plastic Beach and sounds like he's going through the motions. The Bad Bunny track was great but thats because Bad Bunny is the best pop star going right now. 

The Skrillex album Quest For Fire was a fun distraction.  

I listened to this EP by an electronic musician Santa Muerte. It's called Eslabon. Check it out if you want a breezy mix of genres.

Caroline Polacheks album is fantastic and flawless. Definitely the AOTY.  I'm still infatuated right now with it, so I'll probably write something more detailed when I'm out of my obsession. 

1 hour ago, RPS said:

Caroline Polacheks album is fantastic and flawless. Definitely the AOTY.  I'm still infatuated right now with it, so I'll probably write something more detailed when I'm out of my obsession. 

Thanks for this, I'd been listening to the EP for ages and hadn't even clicked there was an album coming.

I disagree on the Gorillaz album but I also think that almost by design it's a little too glossy for its own good. On a first listen it pretty much just completely washed over me leaving very little impression but the second time around I was really into the back half. When "Skinny Ape" was released on its own -- a bizarre decision, as were a lot of the decisions on the album's rollout -- I felt like the sudden shift in energy was a little sudden and unearned but with "Tarantula" and "Tormenta" coming directly before it it really works for me. That's kind of how Gorillaz usually works for me, I still remember going "that's it?" to both the self-titled and Demon Days back when.

I would say almost as a byproduct of there being as many Gorillaz albums in the last five years as there were in the first ten there's a lot more overlap now. It's led to certain things I really like -- as a live band they're great now, probably a byproduct of actually being able to keep a lot of the same people together without like a five year break -- but also a real desire to see the next album get away from this kind of increasingly sun-drenched feeling. On the plus side for me there's no hard skips in the way the first three albums had for me but there's also nothing that just gets lodged in my brain for a week straight the way all of those albums have, it's more of an album I'd want to have on during specific circumstances.

EDIT: also I'm listening to the Lil Yachty album for a second time. I guess I feel a little similarly about it that I'm enjoying it as a start to finish thing but not really going "oh shit, I love this specific song" (maybe "drives ME crazy!"), though it's definitely doing that type of album better than Cracker Island does.

EDIT II: and speaking of "drives ME crazy!", hilarious that even now rappers who were born in the mid-to-late '90s are dropping Ted DiBiase references.

• Like 1

Has anyone listened to Model/Actriz album Dogsbody. Wow. It was certainly an experience. It feels very inspired by early Liars. Intense melodies, intense vocals, scuzzy around the edges. I could imagine my husband would ask me to turn it off. 

15 hours ago, GoGo Yubari said:

EDIT II: and speaking of "drives ME crazy!", hilarious that even now rappers who were born in the mid-to-late '90s are dropping Ted DiBiase references.

Massive Dibiase Jr marks.

Gorillaz new album is a great return to form. The last few efforts have produced some great songs, but never a coherent album. This manages to have both and is probably their best effort since Demon Days. I think Plastic Beach was the last genuinely good album they did, but it's individual songs were weaker than this one. Really happy to be feeling this one because they're one of my favourite bands when they're at their peak.

• Like 2

The deluxe edition of Cracker Island with the bonus tracks has been put up on streaming and they definitely give me a bit of what I was missing on the main album. Best of all, after 20+ years Del tha Funkee Homosapien has finally guested on a Gorillaz track again and it has that "here's a short weird blast of energy" feeling that most of the older Gorillaz albums usually have one or two tracks of.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The new Algiers album is brilliant and definitely an album of the year contender for me. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, DFF said:

The new Algiers album is brilliant and definitely an album of the year contender for me. 

Algiers are a band I'm only aware of  because there's an Algiers who were a follow on from Dartz! (the greatest band ever to come out of Stockton) and I have to scroll past one to get to the other on Spotify. I'm assuming you're talking about the one with more than 90 monthly listeners...

19 hours ago, Colly said:

Algiers are a band I'm only aware of  because there's an Algiers who were a follow on from Dartz! (the greatest band ever to come out of Stockton) and I have to scroll past one to get to the other on Spotify. I'm assuming you're talking about the one with more than 90 monthly listeners...

These chaps: 

• Like 2

If anyone digs the crossroads of doom, stoner metal and heavy psych, I HIGHLY recommend the new album from REZN, entitled 'Solace'. No reinventing of any wheels. Just a brilliant 40 minute journey. Also, the artworking is banging. 

• Like 1