What is your view on Pete Rose?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. What is your view on Pete Rose?

• Hall of Fame as Player with reinstatement
    • Hall of Fame as Player and Manager with reinstatement
    • Hall of Fame as Player without Reinstatement
    • No Hall of Fame nor reinstatement
    • Other

I personally think that he should not be reinstated but be put into the hall of fame because he is the greatest hitter to have ever lived to this day? (Career 4256 hits I believe)

I mean what if Barry Bonds gets HR 756 but tests positive for steroids does he go into the Hall of Fame?

But not the MLB Hall of Fame.

Yes, he should be let in. Gambling is an addiction, much like drinking or drugs. Anyone who's ever had a gambling problem can testify to that. Anyone who doesn't gamble will never understand how bad it can actually be.

Rather than treating it like an illness, they treat it like a sin. They should recognize it as an illness, a mistake Rose made, but they can't ignore his on-field accomplishments.

Guest Bluesman

I think he should be in. Everyone talks about his past transgressions as if everyone in the hall is a saint. Look at Ty Cobb, who was an alcoholic and racist, along with just plain being an asshole. And, guess what, Cobb gambled on baseball as well. I'm sorry, but you can't make a legitmate argument to keep Rose out of the Hall of Fame while Ty Cobb sits there.

He deserves to be in the MLB Hall of Fame, or whatever you want to call it since the wording is so important.

The best statistical career hitter as far as numbers go. That's all that matters as far as the Hall goes.

As far as reinstatement...I'm up in the air on it. If I had to make a decision I'd put it up to the 30 owners of MLB teams. Every few years or so they can have a vote on it and if they vote him back in, he can come in. If he isn't voted in, better luck in a few more years.

I just had an idea for a realitiy series...

Pete Rose is given the manager role of the worst MLB team. If he brings the team from worst to best then he gets his H.O.F. Spot but if not, then he got shot by a firing squad.

Would be a pure classic and I would call it... Pete Rose:spot or shot

He has to be in the Hall of Fame because he is Baseball's leading hitter and I doubt he will ever be caught. I'm kinda on the fence about reinstating him but I found it very hypocritical of Major League Baseball that they used Pete Rose in the "Greatest World Series Moments" thing last year (being involved and being at one of the games invited by MLB) but claim to want to have nothing to do with him.

I definitely think he should be in the Hall, but I'm kinda iffy on whether or not he should be reinstated.

He's too old (and out of shape) to play, and he said when he was first banned that he wanted to manage again once he got reinstated.

Let him be reinstated, but banned him from ever working for a team in any capacity except in Public Relations or as a Scout. Meaning he can attend events, go to games, etc, but can't be a coach, manager, general manager, or anything where he could have any influence in what happens on the field.

I was really disappointed when Pete got banned. And not just because I'm a Reds fan. But because I thought Pete was one of the players who had real love for the game. He once said he'd walk through Hell in a gasoline suit just to play baseball, and he almost killed a guy just trying to score in an All-Star Game.

Edited by GhostMachine

But if you induct him into the hall of fame then whos to say that someone who is breaking records now (like Barry Bonds) can't start gambling and think its okay because Pete Rose did it and he is in the hall of fame now?

In other words:

Lets say Pete Rose gets inducted into the Hall of Fame...

In 2034 someone breaks Pete Rose's record...

He then feels that he is bigger than baseball and breaks a rule that can get him suspended because since he broke the record he should be in the H.O.F. because Pete Rose got inducted after breaking a rule.

Keeping him out sets a good example for anyone getting into MLB. It shows that no matter how many records you break, No one is bigger than baseball.

Edited by Slimg

Pete Rose is already in the Hall of Fame. They inducted him last year.

^^^^That is a top 10 quote of the year^^^^

IF he was inducted last year than why did he release a book confessing to him betting on baseball in january trying to apologize for his actions.

And why did ESPN just release a movie on Saturday showing why he is banished from baseball and not eligible for the hall of fame!!!!