Favorite Guitarists?

apsham

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow...I just listened to the guys George calls "fastest guitarist ever" and "fastest drummer ever".

George, my friend, those guys don't even get into Romero or Li's second gear :P (or in the drummer guy's case, Dave Mackintosh or Tony Costanza's second gear :P)

Maybe that's a bit unfair, sine I've only heard one song each, but still...you need an introduction to power metal. REAL fuckin' power metal. (I have to admit, that Malmsteen guy was pretty damn good. But he's definately no Romero OR Herman Li).

The Damnation Game, by Symphony X. Listen. Not the best example of Jellyfingers guitar playing, but the first one my MP3 player came up with :P

Edit: Ok, so Yngwie Malmsteen is pretty damn rocking actually. *buys stuff*

My point still stands though, Romero and the rest of Symphony X > *

Edit2: Just realised I forgot to pay homage to Herman.

So while you're listening to The Damnation Game (whch is far from the best example :P), find  My Spirit Will Go On, or..hell...ANYTHING by Dragonforce, and listen to that too. Some if it is kinda slow, but still awesome, but then there are some bits that make you wonder if these guys HAVE bones in their fingers.. :P

Stevie Ray Vaughn > *

My thoughts exactly.

With that out of the way, here are some of my other personal favorites:

1. Billy Zoom of X - Although he was in one of the leading punk bands of his time, make no mistakes about Billy, he played a great rockabilly sound. He played for years before joining X, I believe even sharing a stage with either Gene Vincent or Chuck Berry, I forget which at this time.

2. Ross the Boss of the Dictators - Simply a phenom on the guitar, it's a shame that not too many people know of him. Listen to the Dictators and prepare to be blown away by a guy who doesn't play guitar, but owns it.

3. Link Wray of Link Wray and his Wraymen - No list of guitar players is complete without Link Wray. The man laid out the blue prints for the power chord as we know it today. You may know his song "Rumble" from "Pulp Fiction", this song was banned from the airwaves in the late 1950s, being deemed as "too lewd" and "promoting gang warfare", despite not having any lyrics!

4. Sickie Wifebeater of the Mentors - A great guitar player who probably would have gained notoriety if the Mentors content didn't keep them off of public airwaves. No doubt in my mind, Sickie is/was one of the greatest guitar player you may never know about.

5. Johnny Thunders of the New York Dolls and Johnny Thunders and the Heartbreakers - I think he really came into his own when he went off on his solo venture and recorded "L.A.M.F". His sound and style is what you'd want from rock and roll. His sound was similar to that of something you'd hear from the Stooges or MC5.

Honorable mention: Wayne Kramer of the MC5, Paul Cripple of Reagan Youth, East Bay Ray of Dead Kennedys, Dick Dale of Dick Dale and the Deltones, Dr. Know of Bad Brains, Cheetah Chrome of the Dead Boys, and Robby Krieger of the Doors.

Romero? Sloppy? Riiight...

And..

I'm not a metal fan and far from it, reason why my guitarists aren't the fastest out there

Ummm, was it not you that, ten minutes ago, said:

4.- Yngwie Malmsteen

One of, if not the fastest guitarist ever.

That's one way to put it :P

Mostly fantasy stuff. It's so different to the type of thing everyone thinks of when someone says "metal", it almost doesn't deserve to be shoved into that category.

It's almost as different to Slipknot and Linkin Park as you can possibly get.

And just to reitterate, George, never once did I say anything derogatory about Steve Vai. The URL for the drummer dude didn't work though, so I don't have an opinion on him yet :P

Ok, here's a plea to George :P

http://www.noiserecords.com/downloads/Drag..._Will_Go_On.mp3

Perfectly legal, it's on their official site (well, linked to from their official site anyhow).

Download, listen, THEN, if you still think my music sucks, I'll shut up :P

I'm not trying for force my music down your throat, dude, but you have to hear it at least once :P

Ok, here's a plea to George :P

http://www.noiserecords.com/downloads/Drag..._Will_Go_On.mp3

Perfectly legal, it's on their official site (well, linked to from their official site anyhow).

Download, listen, THEN, if you still think my music sucks, I'll shut up :P

I'm not trying for force my music down your throat, dude, but you have to hear it at least once :P

Ugh.

I think I'll stick to Gorgoroth. :P

Good man, good man. Power metal loses itself into those guitar masturbation solos anyway... And dear god, why does the singer HAVE to sound like he is being pounded on his testicles with a sledgehammer?

Tristof also reminded me with two points:

1, Tristof, is I any good? I believe I have a chance to pick it up this Saturday if I hear some sort of even half-good reviews. Altough, as a huge Meshuggah fan, I would probably buy shit in a lunchbox with 'huggah's name on it.

2, Tomas Haake, the drummer of Meshuggah, is godly. Those who are not familiar with probably one of the top 3 bands to come out of Sweden in the past 10-15 years, I strongly recommend checking out their site at http://www.meshuggah.net and especially the discography section at http://www.meshuggah.net/disco/ - they seem to offer some mp3 samples of their work on the site.

Guest Booker T & The MG's

Im going to have to go with Johnny Marr of The Smiths. For that time The Smiths were together his work was amazing, it was so varied he played play so many styles, and overall as a musician during The Smiths was extremely talented.

For songs inparticular the start of "How Soon Is Now" and the start of "This Charming Man" are so varied but both are near unbeatable.

Meh, from the samples on the site, Meshuggah don't really sound any different to any other death metal/metalcore/whateveryouwanttocallthem band. That's the problem with that genre, I'm not opposed to it, but it's hard to sound different to any other band in the genre when all you're basically doing is shouting.

And Haake didn't seem to be anything out of the ordinary from the samples I heard :/ Nothing bad, but nothing that stands out from other bands.

I have some Caliban, Machinehead and God Forbid albums. At least you can hear something with them, it's not just noise. I actually quite like them (God Forbid are a bit "meh", but I got their album because I went to a Machinehead gig, Caliban opened and God Forbid were "the band in the middle that nobody really gave a shit about" so I felt sorry for them :P).

Edit: I just put Through The Ashes Of Empires on, because I haven't heard it for a while. I was so wrong about the whole "they all sound the same" thing. Machinehead > The "noise" that came out my speakers with the Meshuggah clips :P

Edit again: Woah, that's badass, you can listen to the whole album Here :) (the "Click here to releaunch...." link)

(In the unlikely event that you don't already have it Tristy :P We all know your musical taste is better than mine, so you probably have all six :P)

Edited by TheReilDeal