Official Liverpool Thread

FLiam

• Replies 847
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Liverpool supporters earned some small consolation for their Carling Cup defeat after setting a new record for the world's loudest fans. 

Cardiff Council officials measured the noise levels at both ends of the ground for the final and the Merseysiders roared ahead with a maximum reading of 130.7 decibels, four decibels higher than Chelsea and two higher than the current world record for the 'Loudest Stadium Roar' held by the Denver Broncos (128.74 decibels, set in October 2000).

The loudest point came when John Arne Riise put Liverpool ahead in the first minute with Chelsea only able to reach a high of 126.5 decibels.

Liverpool's average volume level was also higher at 93.5 decibels compared with Chelsea's 92.2 decibels.

Steven Gerrard's name recorded a decibel count four higher than any other player as the team line-ups were announced.

Benitez baffled by Kewell setback

Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez admits he is mystified by the injuries keeping Harry Kewell on the sidelines.

Benitez appears to be losing patience with the injury-plagued 26-year-old.

Kewell is out of the Champion League clash with Bayer Leverkusen and Benitez said: "One day Harry is okay, and the next he says he is unfit.

"We don't know exactly what the problem is. It changes each day. One day he says it's the groin, then it's ankle. Another day he says he can play."

Kewell limped off in the Carling Cup final defeat against Chelsea and was not fit for Saturday's Premiership defeat at Newcastle.

But Benitez was initially building his plans for this Champions League last-16 second leg in Germany around the prospect of Kewell being fit to play.

Instead, Kewelll was a late withdrawal - leaving Benitez with a threadbare strike force and only Milan Baros of his recognised strikers fit.

Kewell has struggled with groin, ankle and Achilles injuris in recent weeks.

Am I the only one who's getting pissed off with everyone saying that we beat a shitty team in Leverkusen? There was an article posted on redandwhitekop.net which summed it up really well;

Many of the broadsheets opted for the angle that on Wednesday night Liverpool met an incredibly poor German side, shorn of several key players. (Interestingly, many ignored the fact that Liverpool had a far longer list of absentees, with far more quality in their ranks of wounded and ineligible). Bayer were a side who had already beaten Bayern Munich 4-1 at home in the Bundesliga, and scored three goals in demolishing each of Real Madrid, Roma and Dynamo Kiev on their way to topping the 'Group of Death'.

Suddenly they were whipping boys, simply because we whipped them.

Benitez has led his threadbare collection of fit players to a stage in the competition where, after next week's delayed game between Inter and Porto, only seven other teams will remain. While no one will retain any credibility by suggesting the Reds are now a better side than Manchester United, Arsenal, Real Madrid, Barcelona and all the other top sides to have fallen before the Quarter Finals, the fact remains that they are all out, and the Reds are in the draw on Friday week. We may have had a slightly easier draw, but there was nothing lucky about the way the team performed over the two legs. Leverkusen's home record has been remarkable. There had to be a reason for that.

To put the win against Leverkusen into perspective, an entire team of players –– goalkeeper, defenders, midfielders and strikers –– were missing and, given there were no suspensions, it was either through injury or ineligibility.

Look at the list: Kirkland, Josemi, Pellegrino, Traore, Alonso, Kewell, Sinama-Pongolle, Mellor, Cissé and Morientes. (Okay, so it's a ten-man team). How many of those would have been in the 18-man squad –– the starting XI and seven subs allowed in Europe –– if they had been available to Rafa? Almost certainly all, with the possible exception of Mellor. Of the 18 Rafa did select, only half would have been certainties: Dudek, Carragher, Finnan, Hyypia, Riise, Gerrard, Hamann, Baros and Luis Garcia. So we were literally at half-strength.

Given the impressive Biscan (again enjoying a match in Europe) and Warnock (his best game for the club) would not be guaranteed a place in a European 18 if everyone was fit and eligible –– not to mention Smicer, Carson, Le Tallec, Mellor, and Nunez –– it goes to show that there is still a lot of quality and depth to the Liverpool squad (even if the side could use a couple more 'outstanding' first team players, and some of the squad players are playing for their futures). It also highlights how Benitez has never had the chance to select from anything remotely approaching his full squad. He won't yet know what his best side is, as he's not had the chance to select it.

well... you can't say leverkusen wasn't missing key players, cause they really were, and you can't say leverkusen aren't weaker than last season cause they really are, and they're weaker now than in the beggining of the season thanks to the injuries too. Still liverpool played a couple good games (also with absent players) and deserved to go through. So in my opinion liverpool is in the final 8 because they deserve it Period

But if you ask me if leverkusen are a great team currently, i can't say they are, and they're not on top form either.

When we don't finish fourth, we've only got ourselves to blame. I just fail to see how we can go from playing amazingly well to being awful against an average side.

Gerrard was average again, hopefully he'll buck up for Sunday but I'm not so sure he wants to be at Liverpool next season.

Baros and Morientes aren't working together at all, and Baros' miss was horrible.

Why Riise was left out, I'll never know. When he came on we actually looked like me might do something, whilst Smicer did nothing for 45 minutes.

Pellegrino is starting to look a bit better, whilst Warnock and Finnan were solid - I hope Benitez doesn't just throw Josemi or Traore back into the side.

Baros was utter shit tonight which was a let down because he proved in the CL match how good he can be. Liverpool just seem to be having that season like others have, where they do great in the CL but just above average in the premiership. I know fifth place is good but still for a team like Liverpool, I think they should be title challengers to be honest. I think they really need to make a change or two in the team and bring in maybe a new guy at the back and possibly a midfilder.

Either way I reckon they can take that final Cl place but it looks tough. Obviously they have to win this weekend against Everton, that game should be brilliant.

If we don't win tomorrow I may cry.

BENITEZ: PROVE YOU CAN COPE WITH PRESSURE

Paul Eaton 19 March 2005

Rafael Benitez has challenged his players to prove they can cope with the pressure of chasing Everton as he prepares his side for this weekend's 'must win' derby at Anfield. 

The Reds will kick off the 201st Merseyside derby seven points behind their city rivals, and with games starting to run out the boss admits the time has come to start clawing back that deficit.

And following Wednesday night's lacklustre draw with Blackburn, the manager wants to see signs this weekend that his men have the right mentality to overcome the pressure which is building in the race for fourth place.

"Always in the derby the supporters want to win. It's more than just three points," he said.

"If your neighbour is smiling across the fence from you then that shows it's more than just three points. For us, we know we need to win to reduce the gap.

"A derby is always important, but now even more so. At this moment, they have an advantage over us so it's important for us to win and eat into that. I hope my players have the character to cope with the pressure. We will find out.

"Everton are having a good season and they have been very consistent. They play the same system all the team and all work hard for each other.

"Maybe they will come to defend like Blackburn did in the week. If they do then we need to be more careful with our final pass to try and break them down.

"It's a big game for us, we know that. If we don't win then it will be difficult for us but I have confidence in my team."

He added: "I'm sure Everton will try to do the same as they did in the last game when they battled very hard. I know it will be similar test to the one we had against Blackburn so we will have to improve our level for this game and play a lot better than in the last derby and in midweek.

"We've tried to improve our defence, but in doing so we may have lost something in our attack. Now we need to get the right balance. I want to see more intensity. We've spoken to the players and told them what we need to do.

"The first derby was much as I expected. We know how important the game is, not only because of the league table, but also for the supporters.

"They are going into the game with a lot of confidence and I expect they will play a compact defence and counter-attack.

"Maybe this is our second cup final of the season. We're playing a side with a lot of confidence. We live for important games and this is very important."

Edited by pigeon

So were Everton gracious after being outplayed and outfought by their illustrious neighbours?

EVERTON PAIR GRACIOUS IN DEFEAT

Paul Rogers 21 March 2005 

David Moyes and his captain Alan Stubbs may not have been on the winning side in a game that was billed the most important Merseyside derby in 20 years but the pair have both been gracious in defeat. 

Rather than make excuses for the defeat which moves Liverpool to within four points of fourth place, both the Everton manager and his veteran defender admitted the best team won on the day.

David Moyes on the amount of injury time played

"It definitely wasn't three minutes. I couldn't believe it. We'll check it out. We might be wrong but, if we're not, we'll soon be letting them know."

Alan Stubbs on referee Rob Styles

"We were the only team that had bookings."

David Moyes on the amount of injury time played (again)

"It was just three minutes. We scored and then the ball is in the crowd and held by a fan, how long should you get for that?"

Alan Stubbs on Tony Hibbert's terrible tackle on Luis Garcia that led to the opening goal

"Continental players will go down a lot easier. Referees have to be big enough to see that but unfortunately they are not."

"I thought we were going to get the equaliser and if we would have had enough time then we might have."

Alan Stubbs on the importance of Sunday's derby

"This game was important but we won't lose heart because we lost it. We are still in the driving seat. The others still have to hope we drop points and they would gladly swap places with us."

"After we scored, they kicked the ball into the crowd and we did not have a ball to play with, never mind the substitutions and when Alan Stubbs was down injured."

Alan Stubbs on Liverpool's celebrations at the end

"Liverpool celebrated at the end as if they had taken fourth place but we will see how things stand at the end of the season."

David Moyes on how Everton didn't do anything wrong

"I don't think it was a matter of us doing anything wrong. It was more Liverpool did things that theyhave not been doing this season."

Alan Stubbs forgives Milan Baros for his mistimed tackle

"It was a ridiculous challenge. I would crucify myself if I made a challenge like that. It was a challenge that could finish a player's career. It was a s***bag's challenge. I won't have it that it was a striker's challenge; there is no such thing. I can accept players who turn their back and leave their foot dangling. But no player should look at another player, and leave their foot there and deliberately do it. No matter what, there is no place for that in football."

"I think the referee played three minutes. He didn't even play three minutes and a bit, he was right on the button."

Alan Stubbs admits the Baros tackle wasn't that bad really

"It will take a lot more than that to knock me down."

"The referee might be proven right and I'm not saying I'm right, but we will look at the videos and check it."

David Moyes insists he doesn't want to talk about referee Rob Styles

"I don't want to talk about the referee, but the authorities just have to make sure they pick the right ones for the big games."

David Moyes on referee Rob Styles

"The referees have got to be good enough for the games. Maybe today the referee wasn't."

David Moyes asks how anyone could criticise Nigel Martyn after his amazing season

"Who can criticise Nigel after how he has played for us this season?"

David Moyes on Nigel Martyn

"I think Nigel Martyn could have done better for both goals. There was perhaps a case today for Nigel to hold his hands up, and to be fair, he has done that. He has distinguished himself in the past and is a terrific keeper that has saved us many times in the past and hopefully it won't happen again."

David Moyes on referee Rob Styles (again)

"We didn't get a lot of protection and didn't get the decisions that mattered."

David Moyes on the race for fourth

"We didn't set out to be here and we don't have the finance to be in this position. Some people have spent 100 million to be in fourth." 

• 2 weeks later...

Liverpool striker Djibril Cisse could return early from a broken leg and play again before the end of the season.

Cisse, 23, suffered a double fracture against Blackburn in October 2004 but his recovery has progressed quicker than expected by the Reds.

"Cisse is now training again with the team," Benitez told the club's website.

"After talking with my assistant Paco Ayesteran, who controls the fitness coaching, we no longer believe it's impossible he'll play this season."

French international Cisse joined the Anfield club last summer for £14m but only played 15 games before his injury in the match at Ewood Park.

Benitez added: "I'm very happy with him. He's running well and doing a lot of hard work with the physios with the ball. On Wednesday, he completed a full warm-up.

"We have to listen carefully to the doctors.

"We know how much Cisse wants to play, but they will decide for us. But because there are still two months of the season left, we think there is enough time for him."

And Benitez paid special tribute to Cisse's attitude which he believes is the main reason for the forward's speedy comeback.

Benitez said: "He was determined to come back and play and this has helped him get better."