Official Liverpool Thread

FLiam

• Replies 847
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's always nice when all you can do to back up your arguement is laugh.

You won't be laughing when you lose the final and can't enter next season because you suck too much.

But of course, you're different in the Champions League.

The difference being, you won't be there next season.

There'll still be European games in Liverpool though I guess. You could always go and see them in that there Goodison place. I heard it's quite nice :shifty:

We dominated in the second half.

t's no use dominating a game if the opposition STILL manage to score. Just ask Chelsea.

The thing is, you guys have extra funds, but you guys don't have the CL incentive next season to attract players.

And I think if Everton can keep most of their players, they will make it to the group stages.

Rafa should play Stevie Gerrard in the central midfield. You can see why from the Arsenal game. In the first half, he was playing like a support striker, and was below par in his performance. In the second half, he improved, and so did Liverpool.

Fuck off are you. United are. Followed  by Arsenal. You're a LONG way behind in third.

I don't know how you guys think you can beat Milan either, considering you needed an Oscar winning performance from Luis Garcia just to get ONE GOAL against Arsenal, who aren't even the best in England, let alone Europe.

Edited by pigeon

I've just heard on Sky Sports News that Maldini has said that Liverpool can't attack. Now, I don't know whether he was watching the Juventus game or the Leverkusen games, but it brought a smile to my face.

Also;

Milan midfielder Massimo Ambrosini has been ruled out of the UEFA Champions League Final against Liverpool.

The Italian international is struggling to recover from a thigh problem he picked up against Lecce last weekend.

Milan were hoping that Ambrosini would recover in time to face Liverpool next week in Istanbul, but they are resigned to being without him.

"The extent of the injury means that his full recovery in time for the Istanbul final is very difficult," read a statement on the club's official website.

The news is a blow for Milan as Ambrosini netted the crucial away goal in the semi-final against PSV to book Milan's place in the final.

Edited by The Rock Box

Jinx strikes Reds target May 18 2005

By Chris Bascombe, Liverpool Echo

LIVERPOOL's injury jinx has struck again, forcing Rafa Benitez into a major dilemma with one of his prime summer targets.

Benitez was on the verge of capturing Albacete winger Mark Gonzalez until the Chilean damaged cruciate ligaments last week.

He's been ruled out for six months. The Reds had reached an advanced stage in negotiations for the pacey 20-year-old, but are now considering whether to press ahead with the signing.

A further complication surrounds Liverpool's chances of being granted a work permit for the South American.

If he signed while injured, he wouldn't be able to fulfil the required criteria needed to satisfy the department of education and employment.

Chile's position as one of football's minnows - they're rated outside the world's top 70 nations - would also be a factor in any application.

However, Benitez still hasn't completely ruled out the possibility of sanctioning the deal, although he may now have no choice but to delay it until January.

Gonzalez suffered the blow against Levante in a La Liga match on May 10, wrecking his immediate hopes of a dream move and frustrating Benitez.

Benitez has an extensive list of targets, but much of his recruitment depends on sales.

Real Zaragoza's £6mrated Argentinian centre-half Gabriel Milito, 24, and Feyenoord striker Dirk Kuyt also top Benitez's priority list, demonstrating the manager's view a centre-half and more forward power is required.

Kuyt, also 24, was the alternative target to Fernando Morientes last January, but at £10m is currently beyond Liverpool's valuation.

Goalkeeper Jose Reina will sign from Villarreal for £6m this summer.

Benitez wants two wingers and another centre-midfielder when an extensive rebuilding programme gets underway, regardless of the outcome of the Champions League Final.

Well Ambrosini isn't a huge loss but it's still a slight loss because they're having some fitness problems in places, so he would have been an ideal player to have for at least the bench.

The Maldini story was in the paper today. Quite interesting and I think he's quite wrong in places too. Shame he wont be playing in the final either, that's another big loss for them.

They'll be going all out either way as they've pretty much lost Serie A now, so there only hope for a trophy this season is the CL. Same for Liverpool though, so all to play for.

For anyone who cares, Milan are playing tomorrow on Eurosport in one of there last games of the season, will be interesting to watch as they wont want to be getting any injuries in the game, yet at the same time Juve are five points clear with two games left, so it's still possible for Milan. Super unlikely I know, but it'll be interesting to see if they go all out to try and do it.

Is Reina any good? I only heard of him about a month ago, but I've never seen him play.

I'm not sure about Kuyt either. Goalscoring records from other countries can be a bit misleading (see: Kezman), although if we do sign him I expect Baros to leave.

Reina seems good in all the CM games but if he is in real life I wouldn't know.

The thing you guys need next season the same us, both sides need consistenty as Liverpool this season have had such randomised results its unbelievable.

Edited by Sam

Owen Hargreaves has revealed he would be interested in a move to Liverpool after they were linked with a £2.5m deal for the England midfield man.

The 24-year-old is expected to leave Bayern Munich at the end of the season.

And he said: "Liverpool are a very interesting club. They are a very strong team and it is clear they have a bright future under Rafael Benitez.

"But really I don't want to say more until the German cup final against Schalke 04 is out of the way."

Spurs and Blackburn have also been linked with Hargreaves, but reports suggest Liverpool are now favourites to complete a summer deal.

England coach Sven-Goran Eriksson is understood to have told Hargreaves his chances of making the squad for the 2006 World Cup in Germany would be improved by a move to the Premiership.