Official Liverpool Thread

FLiam

I think he's trying to keep the media attention up so that Chelsea and Real don't loose intrest personally.

• Replies 847
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He did the old "hold my club ransom until I get a payrise" routine that's so popular these days.  The difference is he's such a crucial and influential player to Liverpool they had to cave in.

Except that he seems to be signing the deal that was put in front of him before he decided to leave.

• 2 weeks later...

Decent win tonight, Rafa as definately got them reeling. That Medjani can become a quality player, he is really talented and as the potential to go really far in football. Whitbread and Potter also seem pretty good

• 2 weeks later...

Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho says England midfielder Steven Gerrard may regret his decision to stick with Liverpool.

The 25-year-old seemed to be on the brink of a move to Chelsea this summer - only to sign a new Liverpool deal.

"It will be a loss for him, for his career. He can say 'I was European champion at Liverpool' and that is correct," Mourinho told The Times.

"But I can say to him in the next 10 years we will compare trophies at Chelsea and Liverpool. And he'll lose."

Mourinho admitted the capture of Gerrard would have been a great boost to his team.

"Gerrard is a great player and we want an English core very much," he said.

"We normally play a midfield triangle and you can imagine that Gerrard and Frank Lampard, with Claude Makelele just behind them as protection, could be a very strong team but I think it is Gerrard's loss more than Chelsea's.

"Why? Because Chelsea have good solutions; a good team with the conditions to improve and a club that will be one of the best in the world in a short period of time."

Mourinho also believes that the forthcoming campaign may prove to be tougher for the Blues than last season's runaway title success.

"The others are better and we can't do better," he added.

"We lost only one game and we broke every record in the English game to win the title. How do you improve on that?"

The outspoken Portuguese said he would not hesitate to speak his mind during the forthcoming season - even if it meant he would get into trouble.

"I won't think twice, I won't think about my image. I won't think about the punishment," he said.

"I will just jump in. If I feel my team needs protection, I will be there again."

FIFA are expecting Liverpool to compete in the World Club Championship in Japan in December despite the club casting doubts over their participation.

They have already been drawn to play either Deportivo Saprissa or FC Sydney in the semi-finals, but spokesman for world football's governing body said: "FIFA looks forward to Liverpool's participation in the FIFA Club World Championship TOYOTA Cup Japan 2005 as winner of the UEFA Champions League."

The Anfield side were automatically invited to the event in Tokyo after being crowned kings of Europe. But having also been made to defend their title from the first qualifying round, the club are concerned about the amount of fixtures they are playing.

"The World Club Championship draw has been made and this is something we are debating very carefully at the moment," chief executive Rick Parry told the club's official website.

"It is a world tournament that is prestigious but we have to balance that with the potential of losing another domestic fixture.

"We are already facing the disruption of two Premier League fixtures due to the Champions League third-round qualifier and the Super Cup (against the UEFA Cup winners).

"All of this is down to the price of success and as we've discovered in the past, you tend not to get a lot of sympathy for being successful."