2004-2005 NBA Season Topic

Blitz

Well, preseason has begun and it's almost time for the NBA to get back to my television set. After a long saga between Phil Jackson, Kobe Bryant, and Shaquille O'Neal the Los Angeles Lakers are basically a whole new team. Detroit added another good big man in Antonio McDyess, and the Miami Heat made the biggest offseason move trading three starters and a draft pick for the most dominate force in the NBA, Shaquille O'Neal. Kenyon Martin gives the Denver Nuggets another chess peice to make a second straight playoff run, and Phoenix reloaded getting Quentin Richardson and Steve Nash. Dallas mixed things up again, finally getting some defense with Erick Dampier, Jason Terry and Jerry Stackhouse. Houston looks like a top tier playoff team adding three time scoring champion Tracy McGrady to their lineup to accompany seven foot monster Yao Ming. And also this year will mark the second Charlotte franchise in just three years, with the Charlotte Bobcats loaded with Emeka Okafor with all of his five Olympic playing minutes and some WNBA-look-a-like jerseys. Possible the most dissapointing point in the offseason was the USA Men's Olympic basketball team not winning a gold medal. Props for their suckage. Anyways, let the general talkage begin!

• Replies 464
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll call for a Pistons repeat this year. As good as the Pistons were last year, they've gotten even better this year. With the additions of Carlos Delfino, and Antonio McDyess, we have greatly improved our bench. Add a healthy Derrick Coleman, and you have insane depth at the big man spots. I also have reason to believe that guys like Chauncey Billups, Rip Hamilton, and Tayshaun Prince will improve their scoring output this year, as all three are still fairly young.

As a sidenote, I will be attending the Detroit Pistons home opener, when they raise the championship banner. I'll report back here after the game, and talk a bit about the glory of banner raising.

Western Conference

1.) San Antonio Spurs [southwest Division Champions]

Brent Barry is going to give the Spurs even more depth. I see this team winning sixty five games this year.

2.) Minnesota Timberwolves [Midwest Division Champions]

The Big Ticket still has his MVP title, and I don't think anyone is going to stop him from winning it two years in a row except himself.

3.) Sacramento Kings [Pacific Divison Champions]

Nothing has kept this team from getting on top of the West in years past, and if Webber can stay healthy, the Kings could be alot better than they have been in the past.

4.) Houston Rockets [southwest Divison]

Yao + T-Mac is going to own ALOT of teams in the NBA this year. I just don't think they're good enough to catch up with the Spurs yet.

5.) Memphis Grizzlies [southwest Divison]

Pau Gasol just keeps getting better, and you can't forget about Jason Williams, who has been a great point guard for awhile now.

6.) Denver Nuggets [Midwest Divison]

Carmelo Anthony got K-Mart this year, and Nene is coming off the bench. Marcus Camby is down low at center, giving the Nuggets one of the best center/power forward rotations in basketball.

7.) Dallas Mavericks [southwest Division]

I can't see the Mavs not making the playoffs this year. They made some changes, but so did the rest of the West, and they actually got better unlike the Mavs.

8.) Los Angeles Lakers [Pacific Division]

I was debating about putting Utah or Los Angles here, but I still think Kobe will be able to carry this team to the playoffs. Brain Grant, Caron Butler and Lamar Odom were also on a playoffs basketball team last year, so this team shouldn't lose scoring from Shaquille O'Neal, just the presence.

Eastern Conference

1.) Detroit Pistons [Central Division Champions]

You can't go against the defending champs. Ben Wallace and Rasheed Wallace will once again rule the league, and finally bring a little prestige to the East.

2.) Miami Heat [southeast Divison Champions]

Shaq Daddy has returned to Florida. Although the Heat lost three of their top scorers, Shaquille will probably average about 30/15 at center this year. I think Dwyane Wade will be the next Penny Hardaway (primed)/Kobe Bryant playing along side the Diesel.

3.) New York Knicks [Atlantic Division Champions]

New York is one of the deepest teams in the leage and it seems Isiah Thomas can't make a bad move. I've heard rumors of Vince Carter to New York, but I think the Knicks are A-Okay with the team they have now.

4.) Indiana Pacers [Central Division]

Indiana is going to have a great year, but I think Detroit will edge them out for the East title. Jermaine O'Neal is going to be great and Reggie Miller is still around, giving Indiana a great perimeter threat. Don't forget about former Defensive player of the year Ron Artest.

5.) Cleveland Cavaliers [Central Divison]

LeBron James learned alot about basketball this year in the Olympics, and no matter how much I hate him, he's a good basketball player. Losing Boozer is a big hit, but Gooden is a great replacement. Eric Snow should add to this team some depth.

6.) Boston Celtics [Atlantic Division]

THERE'S HOPE BOSTON FANS! With the addition of Gary Payton, Boston could have one of the deadliest 1-2-3 positions in basketball with Payton/Pierce/Davis. That is, if they can keep their egos in check.

7.) Chicago Bulls [Central Division]

I like the Bulls this year. Eddy Curry is still developing into a monster, Kirk Hinrich is back and healthy, Loul Deng and Ben Gordan are going to be great. This is a excellent young team and could see a championship in five to six years once their players develop.

8.) Toronto Raptors [Atlantic Divison]

If Vince Carter stays in Toronto, I like this team. Rafer Alston and Chris Bosh can cooperate this team could capture higher than an eighth seed. The 'X' factor here is Jalen Rose and if he can compete at his level.

East Playoffs

Detroit def. Toronto, 4-1

Miami def. Chicago, 4-0

Boston def. New York, 4-3 [Look familiar?]

Cleveland def. Indiana, 4-2 [East surprise series]

West Playoffs

San Antonio def. Los Angeles, 4-1

Minnesota def. Dallas, 4-2

Denver def. Sacramento, 4-3 [West surprise series]

Houston def. Memphis, 4-2

Division Championship

Detroit def. Boston, 4-1

Miami def. Cleveland, 4-2

San Antonio def. Denver, 4-3

Minnesota def. Houston, 4-2

Conference Championship

Detroit def. Miami, 4-2

San Antonio def. Minnesota, 4-1

NBA Championship

Detroit def. San Antonio, 4-3

Guest Bluesman

How about the opening games for ESPN on Wednesday Night? Heat and the Nets? Ugh. Lakers and the Jazz? Eh.

I have to say T-Wolves win it this year. They've got the experience, and with a healthy roster will be very, very dangerous.

The Pistons will not win it this year, although they are my favourite team and I made mad money by betting on them last year. They will most likely finish 4-6th and be knocked out 1st round. I think the the Houston rockets will also flop and will definetly not live up to expectations. Orlando will make the playoffs and the Miami Heat are my pick for NBA champions.

Guest bukkake bandit

I think they will. Last year, they wouldn't have beaten a healthy Nets or Pacers team in the playoffs. But this year, I think they'll rip through everyone in the East. Pistons/Spurs in the Finals. Which probably should've happened last year.

Edited by bukkake bandit

Houston=Overrated!

T-Mac and Francis are basically the same player. Selfish ball hogs who think they should be the first option. That offense should run through Yao, considering he's 7'5" and the best passing big man in years, but it wont cuz T-Mac is a dick. But look out for Bobby Sura!

As to the Pistons repeating?

Yes Sir!

watching the preseason games, T-Mac was a good contributor in Houston in the China games. Its not a one man show for him to run anymore. And I think he will have a good time playing alongside Yao and the other Rockets.

As for Orlando, I think Francis adds something special in the backcourt. Cato and Mobley might be good contributors for the Magic team, but I am still waiting for a Grant Hill return.

Chicago, Deng and Nocioni showed in the pre-season games that they are worth to be in the Bulls spot. I am just pissed off that Ben Gordon is not the same case. He was the third pick this year but it seems Ben....well...got 'gentle'. But its just a pre-season game. Last year, I thought Chicago could make it to the Playoffs but injuries and other factors played for them NOT to make it. Do I like the bulls? Yes. Will they make it to the playoffs? I am still in doubt. Kirk Hinrich looks more ready than his early season last year and why shouldnt he? He was the ONLY rookie who did a triple double last season. If Curry fights the buldge and continues to get slimmer but buffer, I think the bulls WOULD have a chance to atleast make it at the no. 8 seed this year.

Knicks, they got Crawford. They had a good deal there. But the bad thing for NY is Crawford's usual hot and cold effect. IN the first 2 games, he was on FIRE....the next game when they were in Utah, he was Ice cold. I hope they remember why he is here, to get the scoring load OFF him. I seen a lot of good things in Crawford during his bulls days. I think he is one of the good things to come in NY this season if not the BEST.

Detroit? They will make it this year in the playoffs again, that I assure you. But win the title, well I am not sure about that yet.

Edited by D-Extreme

Bucks and Magic, maybe even Washington as a surprize ahead of Cleveland, Tornto in the East.

Dallas finish first, having finally got some D, because if Stackhouse can play the 6th man like Jamison did, they've got the top record in the league, IMO, beating out the Spurs who'll be second.Of course, the whole situation depends on if Stack can accept his 6th man role, if he does he definately has that title.But I'll go safe and chose the Spurs to top.

West

1st Spurs

2nd Dallas

3rd Minny

4th Kings (who have the potential to also top, if they trade Peja for Artest)

5th Houston

6th Grizz

7th Denver

unsure about 8, either Lakers or Jazz or the Suns could knock out Denver, Grizzlies, to take the final 3 spots, which are up in the air IMO.

East Conference

Pistons

Pacers (if they do get Peja, they'll get top, IMO, and strengthen the East further)

Heat

Knicks

Bucks

Celtics

Magic

Bulls 8th seeds, with the possiblility also being Cavs, Washington, or the Sixers, actually.

Magic I have a feeling will end up higher than the Rockets, and show that the Rockets got the wrong end of the deal, but with Francis, Mobley, Hill, Turkoglu, Garrity, Howard, Nelson and Battie, I reckon they have a good shot at causing a upset if the matchups are right maybe even sneaking into 5th seed.

Conference Finals:

Spurs Vs. Minnesota or Kings (if Peja's traded for Artest)

Pistons Vs. Heat or Pacers (if they get Peja)

NBA Finals

Pistons Vs. Spurs, with Spurs winning, actually. 4-3

I'm a Raptors fan through and through. I've got to say this could be a really tough season. Vince wants out and if he gets dealt I doubt much value will come back for him. The best thing coming out of a Vince trade would be cap room for next year's off-season and I'd hope a 1st round pick. I'm excited to see Bosh play this year as he's averaging near 20 points per game in the pre-season so far. I think Bosh, Alston and Rose will be entertaining at least. Sam Mitchell has a tough challange in front of him this season trying to teach this team defence. I think they'll make the playoffs only becase the East is so weak. They'll be 7th or 8th and won't make it out of the first round.

I've been watching the pre-season games and ive liked what ive seen from most teams thus far, even Charlotte... Here's how i think it will be by the time the playoffs roll around...

Eastern Conference

1. Miami Heat - 54-28 *

2. Indiana Pacers - 53-29 *

3. New York Knicks - 50-32 *

4. Detroit Pistons - 51-31

5. Boston Celtics - 48-34

6. Philadelphia 76er's - 46-36

7. Cleveland Cavaliers - 45-37

8. Chicago Bulls - 42-40

I see Miami as the only team making it through from the Southeast Division with Orlando missing out by 2 or 3 games, same with Milwaukee & Toronto...

Eastern Conference

1. San Antonio Spurs - 63-19 *

2. Minnesota Timberwolves - 57-25 *

3. Sacramento Kings - 54-28 *

4. Houston Rockets - 50-32

5. Dallas Mavericks - 50-32

6. Denver Nuggets - 47-35

7. Phoenix Suns - 46-36

8. Los Angeles Lakers - 43-39

With Portland, Memphis, Golden State & Utah all coming within 4 games of the 8th seed...

Now heres a quick look at my Playoffs

East First Round

1. Miami Heat vs 8. Chicago Bulls - 4-1 Miami

2. Indiana Pacers vs 7. Cleveland Cavaliers - 4-3 Indiana

3. New York Knicks vs 6. Philadelphia 76er's - 4-2 New York

4. Detroit Pistons vs 5. Boston Celtics - 4-2 Boston

West First Round

1. San Antonio Spurs vs 8. Los Angeles Lakers - 4-1 Spurs

2. Minnesota Timberwolves vs 7. Phoenix Suns - 4-3 Phoenix

3. Sacramento Kings vs 6. Denver Nuggets - 4-1 Sacramento

4. Houston Rockets vs 5. Dallas Mavericks - 4-0 Houston

East Conference Semi's

Miami Heat vs New York Knicks - Miami Heat win 4-3

Indiana Pacers vs Boston Celtics - Indiana Pacers win 4-2

West Conference Semi's

San Antonio Spurs vs Sacramento Kings - San Antonio win 4-3

Phoenix Suns vs Houston Rockets - Houston win 4-2

Conference Finals

Miami Heat vs Indiana Pacers - Miami win 4-1

San Antonio Spurs vs Houston Rockets - San Antonio win 4-3

Championship

Miami Heat vs San Antonio Spurs - Miami win 4-2

*- denotes the conference winners

Just my take on things at the current moment... Although anything can happen in the season...

• 2 weeks later...

I know I'm late getting into this thread but meh.

I'm not a huge NBA fan, I'd rather watch hours of NCAA before watching NBA but I've been following it as it has come up on sportscenter and on CBS Sportsline... I'd like to see the Pacers and Timberwolves in the finals. Jermaine O'Neal, once he gets healthy, is a great player. Garnett is a great player too. I think that would make a great series between both teams. The Pacers will have trouble this year now that they have to get by Shaq and Wade to go to the finals. Although personally after I watched Wade in the Olympics I haven't liked him. He just didn't play well in alot of those games and took stupid shots. The Wolves will have a tough year too with Spree wanting out of Minnesota and Wally having trouble with Garnett and should be traded because of that.

I'd doubt the lakers going to the playoffs with kobe. Odom is a good player but I'd expect him to be pissed that Kobe isn't giving him the ball... oh wait that hasn't happened yet.

I'd expect the heat in the finals against god knows who, Spurs or Rockets I guess.

I think Deng and Duhon will have a good chance of changing the thoughts on Duke players in the NBA. Duke players play more as a team and since those two will be playing on the same team they will be familiar with each other and be able to do more things. That was painful to say since I'm a UNC fan though. I do like the Bulls team now. Hinrich, Gordon, Deng, Chandler and Curry will be a great team this year and should be elite in the near future. Chandler and Curry are 22. Goron is 21. Deng is 19. And Hinrich is the oldest of the 5, still he is only 23. Amazingly young team with great potential.

Should be a good year for NBA