Better NFL Player

Guest Wrestling_Man

Which NFL player would you want in his prime?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Which NFL player would you want in his prime?

• Peyton Manning
    • Ray Lewis

Guest Wrestling_Man

This question was asked on PTI today and it's a really good question. If I had to pick, I'd pick Lewis just because he has made his position a whole lot better and he still has the fire in his eyes now then when he did when he won the Super Bowl with the Ravens. But this is a REALLY good question.

Ray Lewis is the most overrated defensive player in NFL history. Never before has someone been given more tackles statistically than he's actually had.

Lewis isn't even the best defensive player on his team (Ed Reed), and he's not the best middle linebacker in the NFL (James Farrior).

Lewis IS the BEST MLB in football, you're just blinded by your obvious bias towards the Steelers. True, Lewis may not be one of the best defenders on his team AT THIS POINT, but Lewis has changed the position far more than Farrior ever will. Farrior's having one good year and you're touting him as the greatest MLB in football? You need to get your ass into reality and not your Steeler fantasy world and realize that Ray Lewis, whether you like him or not, is one of the greatest Linebackers of all time and I also find it to be very amusing when you say "Never before has someone been given more tackles statistically than he's actually had." because that just agains shows your blinded bias towards the Steelers. Why? Ya' mad that the Ravens beat the Steelers up for the last couple seasons? Ray Lewis deserves more respect for that. Regardless of what's happened off the field, on the field, you cannot match anybody at the linebacker position that brings more fire and intensity to his team.

Which leads me to my vote. Statistically, I'd go with Manning, since the numbers he puts up are just completley crazy and might go down as the greatest QB of all time, BUT he has to win AT LEAST one ring and be in a HUGE GAME atmosphere (ala Montana, etc.). But if you were to go by what that player brings to the table emotionally and physically, as well as being able to put out stats, I would say Lewis. Lewis is the heart and soul of tha team, whereas I believe that Harrison is for the Colts, because he's a little older than Manning and was there when the Colts were the dismal of the league, prior to drafting Peyton. I have the utmost respect for both men as they continue to raise the bar at their respective positions, yet it's unfair to compare two different people and two different positions. If it was like Manning (in his prime) vs. Montana (ditto about prime), it would be fair, but that comparison is just a little off.

Edited by Livid

I'm look at this season, and James Farrior is having a WAY better season than Ray Lewis. The question is who was the best in their prime and I think Manning was.

But I stated that Lewis isn't best MLB in the NFL (meaning RIGHT NOW) I said nothing about the past, or ever. Although I'd hardly consider him the best MLB of all-time.

James Farrior IMO is #2 in the running for Defensive Player Of The Year behind Ed Reed.

Farrior's played outstanding this year and has been solid his whole career. And it's not just the fact that I'm a Steeler fan that I think Farrior's better than Ray Lewis...

Dr. Z from Sports Illustrated writes... "I have a quick way of judging a person's football IQ and deciding whether or not I would wish to continue the conversation. I ask him or her, "Who's your all-pro middle linebacker?" If the answer is the Steelers' James Farrior, then we can talk some football. If it's Ray Lewis I say thank you and move on to the next stiff ... uh, expert."

Granted it's just one-year, but Ray Lewis' overratedness (if that was a word) drops him on my list. Every year I watch him play twice, me and my dad count his tackles during the game, and the next day I go online and search his official stats and he has on average 5 or 6 extra tackles.

Edited by SkinMySenses

When Farrior revolutionizes and impacts the position more than Lewis has, call me. And I don't give a flying fuck what some SI guy thinks of Ray Lewis, the fact is that to be a GREAT linebacker, you have to have consistently GREAT seasons. Farrior's had one, Lewis has had practically, every year (barring the one he got injured in), had a GREAT year EVERY year. And tackles aren't just counted with solo tackles, it's also assists, so don't get your panties in a bunch about it. I don't know how you can say a player is overrated when you say a player on the team that is your favorite and who has had no other GREAT years besides this year.

Farrior, this year, might be better than Lewis, but as a linebacker overall, I would take Lewis a million times before I would EVER take Farrior. Why? Because Lewis brings attitude to a team, he brings the heart and soul, and he's damn good at it. I'm sorry but it's hard to take Farrior being better than Lewis, when Farrior's only had one great season compared the multiple ones Lewis has had. Until Farrior plays like has this year, year after year, then I could see an argument, but until he has more, the argument shouldn't even take place, as they are in 2 totally different points.

I'd have to go with Manning here. Lewis has been pretty mediocre more times than not, but Manning has always produced. How do you come back in 30 seconds? Ask Manning. He's the one that is about to break the only thread of great memories Dan Marino has in the Season TDs record. It's the only thing that kept Dolphins fans from killing him when he wouldn't retire. Now, nothing is gonna stop them.

Ray Lewis is overrated. IMO, Urlacher is better then Lewis.

This is a really stupid question though as they two play different sides of the ball. It's like asking would you rather have Pedro Martinez or LeBron James. You can't answer it.

Peyton scores points. Points = Wins. Peyton shows leadership. [not that Rey Lewis doesn't, it's just not as obvious as Peyton's] My pick would be Peytong Manning.

Guest Wrestling_Man

Ray Lewis is overrated. IMO, Urlacher is better then Lewis.

This is a really stupid question though as they two play different sides of the ball. It's like asking would you rather have Pedro Martinez or LeBron James. You can't answer it.

Peyton scores points. Points = Wins. Peyton shows leadership. [not that Rey Lewis doesn't, it's just not as obvious as Peyton's] My pick would be Peytong Manning.

Ray Lewis

Why?

The high powered offenses are nothing against a kick your ass defense.

It's been shown through history...

The INCREDIBLE St. Louis Rams that won the Super Bowl. They were killing teams. The go against the Buccaneers in the NFC Championship and win 11-6. Yes, they won, but look at the margin of victory; not really impressive given the points that the Rams were putting up that year.

Another example (Involving the Bucs... <_< ) is when the Falcons took them on a couple weeks ago. They got shut out. Michael Vick didn't really do much.

Ray Lewis was an intregal component of the Ravens defense in the 2000/2001 Season (meaning the single season that they won the Super Bowl, arguably one of the best single season defenses).

I just feel that defense is more important than offense.

Besides, QB's can really only be as good as the player's around them.

I'd go with Lewis just because he was the best player on his team the year they won a Super Bowl. Until Manning wins a ring, he's just the most statistically pleasing QB in the league. Fuck, I'd still take Tom Brady over Peyton right now because Brady gets shit done in the postseason while Peyton never has.