Your Favourite Soccer/Football Player

The Slickman

Peter Beardsley. Played his last few seasons a few years after I started going down to St James' and that Andy Cole 40+ goal season cemented him as the greatest English support striker of all time. Notable mentions in my youth go to Roberto Baggio (for reasons I'm completely unsure of but I've still got an old Juve shirt knocking about) and Paolo Maldini, who as a left sided defender myself I idolised. Finally got me a Maldini Milan shirt this season too, had to before he retires really.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ray Parlour or Tony Adams.

Just love their style of play in that they're "typical English players". 100% committed to the cause and would never stop playing until the final whistle went. That's what we're lacking now; a "typical English player".

Pavel Nedved.

It's so hard to just pick one but I think Nedved is just amazing. For me he's still the best midfielder in the world. He just doesn't seem to have a single weak area. He's also helped Juve to so much over the years, amazing player.

Have to mention Beckham too. I love the guy and always will. I think there's so many people who don't rate the guy too highly and I find it pathetic. He's done so much for England over the years and he's just an amazing player. Also just like to mention Zambrotta, Baros, Buffon and Totti. They have all inspired me in one way or another.

Roberto Carlos

Because he's the player that I try to be like when I play soccer. He's extremly fast, strong and has one of the best kicks in the world. I'm faster than most guys in my league, but I don't have the leg power. Nevertheless, I try to play like him. I'm a center back, but if I get the chance to pinch I go for it. Knowing that if I get beat, I can always out run the guy and make it back in time. Shevchenko is also an honorouble mention because that what everyone calls me at school and its starting to wear off. Plus he's from one of my neighbouring countries and hopefully they make the World Cup.

Glenn Hoddle was a superb player in the day and deserved more international caps then he actually got.

Gazza before he basically ended his career in the '91 final by lunging in with that stupid tackle (made his drinking far worse then it ever was before).

Jurgen Klinsmann, Scored some sensational goals and became the trendsetter with celebrations (how many players adopted that dive he did?). Will have lessened his career with the diver rep he got.

Maddona :shifty: scored some sensational goals, single handedly carried Argentina to WC finals. Like Klinsmann leaves memories for the wrong reasons.

George Weah, Was a superb player for a few years always gat value but seemed to disapear quicker then Rooney from a brothel.

The lack of an Alan Shearer mention in this topic makes baby Jesus cry....

One of my fave ever Rovers player's, but with people like Hendry he was a great player who loved the club. Shearer was just a great player.

I just think he was a great player wherever he went, was a consumate professional, and was a great player for England (why the media dogged him so when England went through a rough patch, consdering the WHOLE England team was playing shit, is beyond me.). He is what I always wanted to be in a footballer, I guess, the only person coming close being Gary Lineker.

You make a good point, and yeah he is high on my list, but if I had to give one it wouldn't be him. Hendry was in the same vein even if it was for Scotland the shit his wife had to suffer and his Blackburn greatness tips it for me.

The lack of an Alan Shearer mention in this topic makes baby Jesus cry....

One of my fave ever Rovers player's, but with people like Hendry he was a great player who loved the club. Shearer was just a great player.

I just think he was a great player wherever he went, was a consumate professional, and was a great player for England (why the media dogged him so when England went through a rough patch, consdering the WHOLE England team was playing shit, is beyond me.). He is what I always wanted to be in a footballer, I guess, the only person coming close being Gary Lineker.

I don't know about cosumate professional, his reaction to being dropped had a large bearing over Gullit and Robson's future. Yes, ultimately it was the board's decision but he acted like a sulking bastard about the whole thing.

He didn't come out and bash the choice to drop him in public. So in what way did he act like a sulky bastard? Both Gullit and Robson were not doing a good job, and then dropping your top goalscorer at a time when he is needed (which in both cases, led to crap results for Newcastle), led them to be fired. It was the fans, and the board who got them kicked out, not Shearer.