Desperate Housewives Desperate For More Money

zero

Credit: IMDB

The stars of hit American sitcom Desperate Housewives have reportedly threatened a revolt over their small salaries. Marcia Cross, Teri Hatcher, Felicity Huffman, Eva Longoria and Nicolette Sheridan are all demanding bigger paychecks to cash in on the worldwide success of the ABC series that won two Golden Globe Awards last week, reports Britain's Daily Star Sunday newspaper. More than 40 countries have snapped up the dark comedy and it is currently number one in the US ratings, regularly pulling in more than 30 million viewers. An insider at Touchstone Television says, "The girls are fuming. Their salaries range from $47,000 to $76,000 an episode - which is peanuts compared to the cash coming in from selling it around the world. It's crazy when you compare it with the $1.8 million-a-show the stars of Friends were making. No one's suggesting they're worth that much. But they do deserve a slice of the big bucks they're generating." In an interview with America's People magazine last month, Sheridan complained, "I'm the poorest actress on television. I heard (the cast of) Friends got cars when they had such amazing ratings. But I got flowers. I'm still waiting for the Porsche."

Ah, I love when this happens to the flavor of the month because it usually means the beginning of the end. The Queer Eye guys pulled this shit last year and they were quickly forgotten. And I don't even make $47,000 a year... shit I wouldn't make that in two years. I don't wanna be the guy who complains about celebrities and all that, but Jesus Christ, you had one hit season, whoopee. Even Wings had a hit season.

Edited by Zero

Now if they have been on the air for a couple of seasons it probably wouldn't surprise...it's fun to see celebraties fight for more money...when all of us norman people don't make half of what they do in a year. I've never watched this show, personally I think it sucks. I realy hope that they are only the flavor of the month.

Guest Pirate Chasin' Booty

Recently debuted in Britain on Wednesday nites, starts just as I finish work for the evening, watched it because of the title, decided it was shit before the episode was over, hate it, probably as much as I hate Sex and the City.

Guest Ringmaster

I'm torn on the show. On one side, it's crap, on the other, it's not reality TV, and thus its high ratings increase the chance of less reality TV on my screen. But, will it lead to more crap, or to better shows? I can just see some channel like FOX making a show called "Desperate Pimps" or something like that.

Seriously, what the fuck. Most people would gladly take 47,000 for minimal work every week, but these greedy cunts are comlaining about it? Do they think that they are doing anything important? Saving peoples lives for acting like whores on TV? I think not.

They need to shut the fuck up, make their shit TV show and when people finally realize its a pile of crap, get the fuck off my Television screen.

They'll get pay raises without much resistance. Essentially, anyone who's on either Lost, Desperate Housewives or Alias is royalty in ABC's eyes. After going from 4th to 2nd in overall ratings in one year, you can bet the brass will be willing to reach into their pocket books to keep everything that's working. Whether they deserve a raise is one thing, but it is a bit ridiculous how much more someone like Matt Leblanc is making to do a lower rated show.

Hopefully this is the beginning of the end.

Hopefully, but no. ABC will shell out tons of money to them, and then realize their mistake when no one watches it next season.

They said the same thing about Survivor... 8 seasons ago.

Survivor is cheap to make... this is great news cause these whining broads are gonna kill the show that made them famous by continuing to demand more money. It may not be this season, it may not even be next, but it'll happen. Once one big star quits the show, it'll jump the shark.

Looks like I'm going against the grain here, but if any of you were on a show that was making millions, yet you were only seeing a fraction of the money, wouldn't you be pissed off? I know I would. Can you really blame them for wanting to milk this show for all it's worth? Granted, expecting a Porsche to be delivered to your house is extreme, but with the way that the show has taken off, I think they certainly deserve a raise to bring them in line with other actors on shows of similar popularity.

And what's more, the show isn't terrible. I was forced to endure more than one episode while my sister was home on Christmas break, and while I don't particularly like it, I can see why it appeals to such a broad female demographic. If nothing else, there's some clever dialogue, which instantly makes it better than a lot of the other crap on TV. It's essentially "Sex and the Suburbs", and I think tapping into that wide market is a particularly ingenious move on the part of ABC. The show deserves at least some of its success, and I see no problem in rewarding the actors who have held up their end of the bargain.