Rodney Marsh sacked from Sky Sports

Lord Nibbler

Didn't see this posted:

MARSH APOLOGISES AFTER SACKING

Rodney Marsh has apologised for offensive comments made on air about the Asia tsunami disaster.

The former Queens Park Rangers and Manchester City striker has had his contract terminated by Sky Sports after making the remarks as a pundit on Monday night's You're on Sky Sports programme.

Sky officials met this morning and decided Marsh's comments were "inexcusable".

The 60-year-old, who was known for his outspoken views on football, insisted he did not intend to offend viewers with his comments.

Marsh told the Press Association: "I apologise unreservedly for any offence I caused by my thoughtless and inappropriate comment I made last night.

"My intention was to make a light-hearted football joke."

A Sky Sports spokesperson said: "We have today ended Rodney Marsh's contract with Sky Sports.

"The decision was made this morning, following a review of his comments on last night's edition of 'You're on Sky Sports'.

"During the live night-time phone-in Rodney made comments that were offensive and inexcusable.

"An apology was made within the programme and Rodney's comments were edited and removed from later transmissions.

"These remarks should never have been made and Sky would like to offer its apologies to those who were offended."

Marsh's future in sport broadcasting is now unclear, and he added: "I entirely respect Sky Sports' position and would add my apology to everyone concerned at Sky.

"I would like to take this opportunity to thank my colleagues and senior executives who have been brilliant to me and always supported me during my time at Sky.

"I am hugely disappointed in myself for letting them down."

Always liked Marsh, bitch to see him go. I reckon he'll be back within time though.

Hope they don't replace him with that fat prick who knows nothing about football. I forget his name but everyone seems to hate the guy because he talks utter shit. Some fat bloke with glasses.

As a Spurs fan I'm glad to see him go because he always slagged them off.

As a viewer of Soccer Saturday I'm sad because him and Jeff had a great chemistry which made for so many funny moments.

Agreed . What was his problem ?!

When will the BBC pull theyre finger out sack the 'great dane' from there show and sign up Rodney , lets face Schemical is a terrible anaylist and you can tell Hansen/Lawrensen dont care what he thinks

I don't know this guy, not having Sky Sports, but it's stupid how everyone starts jumping on someone becuase they thought he was making an offensive comment. It wasn't even his fault, becuase it wasn't him who thought up the joke, now he's the scapegoat.

• 2 weeks later...