Emulation

Dr. Rated-R

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From what I understand, owning an emulator itself is perfectly legal. It is legal to keep a ROM file if you already own a physical hard-copy of that game, or if you only keep the ROM on your computer for less than 24 hours. Whether that's true or just urban myth, I don't know, but it's the most common answer I've heard.

From what I've heard its legal to have it as a "Backup". But some people, I'll refrain from calling them bad names, say that because its not a copy of your EXACT cartridge, its not the same thing, which is friggin bullshit as far as I'm concerned. One things for sure, that 24 crap is nothing but bull, no one follows it anyway...

That could also be debated though since the statement brought up is that ROM's are legal, as a resource for back-up purposes. Say if i wanted to make a back-up of Super Mario Kart because my old cartridge is being held together by tape, would i be wrong in asking for a link to a ROM, which i can download, so i can still enjoy playing Super Mario Kart once my cartridge dies?

That could also be debated though since the statement brought up is that ROM's are legal, as a resource for back-up purposes. Say if i wanted to make a back-up of Super Mario Kart because my old cartridge is being held together by tape, would i be wrong in asking for a link to a ROM, which i can download, so i can still enjoy playing Super Mario Kart once my cartridge dies?

Roms are illegal no matter what. All the rules that say it's ok are bullshit.

You are allowed to say you have and own ROMs, but under no circumstances can you give out links or hint at where you got it.

Same as the other warez rules.

I believe some emulation is wrong, like GBA, PS2 or anything else, but I believe that any systems that the companies no longer profit from, should be able to be emulated legally, as there's a very narrow chance of finding certain games in most areas for these older systems.

The downside I find to emulation, is that you don't fully enjoy the games like you used to, because you have the ability to have so many at once, you move from game to game to game.

I don't think people who have ROMs are criminals because...

Most of the roms are for older game systems, and the games are very hard to find and the game companys are not gunna get any profit for the game any more, as most of them are gone.

If they are GameBoy roms, Who the fuck wants to play gameboy roms on their pc? unless its pokemon that is :P , but gameboys are handheld, the games are meant for handhelds.

Also... I got some good freeware emulators that run on my PS2, snes and Mega Drive (genesis) ones, those are fucking awsome.

Edited by Dan