Next-Gen consoles.

A-Dub

I heard that XBox 2 and PS3 are comming out almost a full year apart from each other, with XBox 2 comming out late this year. Is this true? If so I think that's great news for gamers who can get one and then get ready for the other over the next year.

-Sony's only big announcement is that nVidia will be handling the graphical chipset for the PS3 (which makes Sony the only company to feature nVidia's graphic technology in their newest system...Microsoft and Nintendo have already inked deals with ATI). No firm release date has been set or even really hinted to, although everyone seems to be focusing on Christmas of this year because Christmas is generally the best time to release such a product.

(On a related note, expect more PS3 buzz once the PSP has settled in, which would probably mean around summertime for the hype machine to start brewing.)

-Microsoft has been a little coy concerning their new console, although Gates and a few others have made just enough motion to know that there *will* be a sequel to the XBox. Once again, no set release date, although everyone is once again looking at X-Mas '05.

-Nintendo, on the other hand, have been the first to flat out jump into the water, as they will debut the Nintendo Revolution (which they blatantly ripped off from The System :shifty:) at June's E3 festivities. Whether or not this will be just a demonstration of the system or a full-out debt remains to be seen, although the former is the most likely.

Don't think theres been any official talk of release dates so all we can go on is rumours. I heard that both the Microsoft and Sony next gen consoles would be on show at this years E3 but Microsofts would be the one nearer to a release date. That does seem odd to me though as the PS2 has been out longer so theoretically Sony has had more time to work on the next version.

Don't think theres been any official talk of release dates so all we can go on is rumours. I heard that both the Microsoft and Sony next gen consoles would be on show at this years E3 but Microsofts would be the one nearer to a release date. That does seem odd to me though as the PS2 has been out longer so theoretically Sony has had more time to work on the next version.

Keep in mind, however, that Sony has been focusing on the PSP for a bit.

Any cost estimates for the consoles? I believe PSM estimated the PS3 to be around $500 at launch.

And if that's true, it will flop like the 3DO... there's no way a console can make it at a price above $400 and that's stretching it.

Actually, come to think of it now, there was an issue of PSM after that one stating that the PS3's little release delay is partially due to Sony using an advanced technology for the PS3. I believe what the article said was that the technology they had in mind is quite expensive to the average consumer, so they were going to wait a while until it became a more common-place thing.

I can't be certain though, as I don't have the issues of PSM in question. I'm just trying to recall what I read from memory.

Guest Mr McFarlane

Any cost estimates for the consoles? I believe PSM estimated the PS3 to be around $500 at launch.

And if that's true, it will flop like the 3DO... there's no way a console can make it at a price above $400 and that's stretching it.

X-Box launched at like $400, it's doing okay.

I coulda sworn the big green machine launched at $299 while GC was $199. Either way, it doesn't matter cause the PS1 launched at $399. Don't pay any attention to me, I was drunk.