Opening/Closing Songs?

Liam

Openers: It doesn't get much better than 'Cygnus...Vismund Cygnus' from the Mars Volta album Frances the Mute. Other than that, there's 'Lovely Head' from Goldfrapp's Felt Mountain. and 'Everything in it's right place' from Radiohead's Kid A.

Closers: I'm the umpteenth person to mention it, but 'Hurt' by NIN is in a different class of it's own. I love Muse 'Megalomania' too, the last minute or so of that is just ridiculously good.

uh yeah...i accidentally bumped a couple of topics whilst searching for something...i saw these threads and thaught i'd reply...forgetting that it was a months old thread

'Megalomaniac' by Incubus is a pretty good opening for "Crow left of the Murder"

I'm surprised no-one's mentioned any Pink Floyd tracks as most of they're albums begin and end in perfection, more often than not with songs directly linked to one another.

'Wish You Were Here' is probably the best example with 'Shine On You Crazy Dimond' opening and closing the CD but others such as 'Pigs On The Wing' (From 'Animals') shouldn't be overlooked. In terms of individual tracks, 'Atom Heart Mother Suite' would work as a fantastic start to any album whereas the combination of 'One Of These Days' and 'Echoes' as Opener and Closer of 'Meddle' respectively are both great tracks.

YI's also hit the nail on the head with Dream Theater, especially 'The Glass Prison' on 'Six Degrees' and 'A Change Of Seasons'. 'Pull Me Under' and 'New Millennium' also spring to mind.

"How It Goes" by Billy Talent

"Escape from Hellview" by CKY

"Stabbing the Drama" by Soilwork

"Absolute" by Thousand Foot Krutch

"A Bid Farewell" by Killswitch Engage

"Smashed Into Pieces" by Silverstein

"Your Sword vs. My Dagger" by Silverstein

"Time To Waste" by Alkaline Trio

"7weeks" by InMe

"American Idiots" by Green Day

"UnderDose" by InMe

"Courage" by Alien Ant Farm

"Never Take Friendship Personal" by Anberlin

---

"Mosaic" by InMe

"Ride the Wings of Pestilence" by From First to Last

"Rumours of my Demise have been Greatly Exaggerated" by Rise Against

"Lip Gloss and Black" by Atreyu

"You Give Love a Bad Name" (Bon Jovi Cover) by Atreyu

"When Broken is Easily Fixed" by Silverstein

Well, there's probably more but I can't think of them right now.

Openers:

"The Package" by A Perfect Cricle - "Thirteenth Step"

"Determined" by Mudvayne - "Lost and Found"

"Do You Call My Name" by Ra - "From One"

"Gasoline" by Seether - "Disclaimer/Disclaimer II"

"The Light That Blinds" by Shadows Fall - "The War Within"

"Stabbing the Drama" by Soilwork - "Stabbing the Drama"

"The Enemy" by Static-X - "Start A War"

"The Great Dividers" by Unearth - "The Oncoming Storm"

Closers:

"To Be Me" by American Head Charge - "The Feeding"

"Slaves of Yesterday" by Arch Enemy - "Doomsday Machine"

"Love Reign Down" by Black Label Society - "Stronger Than Death"

"Plunder" by Bloodsimple - "A Cruel World"

"In the Arms of God" by Corrosion of Conformity - "In the Arms of God"

"Blue-Sky Research/Whats Left" by Taproot - "Blue-Sky Research"

Album Openers:

"Hunter" by Bjork - Homogenic

Brooding and melodic. A fantastic start to a fantastic album.

"Apocalypse Please" by Muse - Absolution

Hummana. Epic and magnificent. Unleashed the new dimension of Muse.

"Airbag" by Radiohead - OK Computer

No other song on the multi-award winning album would have worked so well at number one.

"Angel" by Massive Attack - Mezzanine

OMG! From nothing, into simple bass, into explosion of intense melodrama. Sets up MA's best album PERFECTLY.

"Buggie Techinica" by Polysics - Polysics Or Die!!!

It's an intro song that does exactly what's called for. Introduces the group and the album in the first few minutes. Sets the scene.

"True Mathematics" by Ladytron - Light And Magic

A pleasingly pop-pumping electro track with complete with brooding foreign language from the Liverpool-based group. Ahhhh so that's a electro-clash avant-garde electro album then. (An hour or so later) Yep, I was right.

Openers:

The Damned - "Neat, Neat, Neat" (Damned, Damned, Damned)

Great way to open the album, a song that really set's the tone for the whole album. It's a nice introduction to a great, and highly underrated 77 style punk album.

The Adolescents - "I hate Children" (Adolescents)

The album starts off with a bang, a high energy, charged anthem that really displays the bands power and speed. A fast paced song that is followed up by equally good songs. Hearing those first "Children..." followed by the riff lets you know what it's in store for the rest of the album.

Blitz - "We Are the Boys" (Voice of a Generation)

Man, this might be my favorite of the bunch, as far as opening tracks go. I love the anthematic drump beat that begins the song. This is a great song to sing along to, and prepares you for more wonderful Oi anthems throughout the whole album.

Closers:

Battalion of Saints - "Cops Are Out" - (Death-R-Us)

This a live recording that I absolutely love. It's a nice send off for one of the best albums of the 1980s. It's a short song filled with the chorus (which comes like a burst) that displays the bands qualms with police.

Iron Cross - "You're a Rebel" (Live for now)

The opening bass line is a great begining to this song. It's a nice way to cap off an extremely raw and agressive album. This song's production seems a bit more polished compared to the rest of the album, but it still fits in well as the final track.

D.I. - "Uncontrollable Urge - (Team Goon)

Probably one of the best covers I've heard, from any band. D.I. takes a great Devo song and adds their own twist to it. Everything flows together perfectly in this song.

Edited by VerbalPuke