2005 MLB Thread

Cole

I'm loving the demise of the Yankees again. The fact that they're treading water in June is a dream come true. But, they are the Yankees, and could easily come back. But, I don't see them getting a big starting pitcher, espically with rumors going around that Clemens wants to go to the Rangers.

• Replies 579
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Bartolo Colon has been a monster this year. 6-3 2.75 ERA. He should be getting a lot more K's though. But as an Angels fan he's made up for my hatred of him after the year he had last year. I wasn't a big fan of the signing in the first place as he really only had one good year coming into last year.

Clemens does have a no-trade clause. He says he'd only consider going to the Yanks but even that is a longshot because he doesn't want to miss his kids games in the summer and fall. The Astros allow him to leave midweek to attend to those games.

Guest Wrestling_Man

These are the current standings as of June 5th, 2005.

AMERICAN LEAGUE

American League East

Team W L Pct. GB

Baltimore 33 22 .600 -

Boston 30 25 .545 3

Toronto 29 27 .518 4½

N.Y. Yankees 28 27 .509 5

Tampa Bay 20 36 .357 13½

American League Central

Team W L Pct. GB

Chi. White Sox 37 18 .673 -

Minnesota 32 22 .593 4½

Detroit 26 27 .491 10

Cleveland 25 29 .463 11½

Kansas City 17 38 .309 20

American League West

Team W L Pct. GB

L.A. Angels 32 23 .582 -

Texas 31 23 .574 ½

Seattle 23 31 .426 8½

Oakland 22 33 .400 10

NATIONAL LEAGUE

National League East

Team W L Pct. GB

Atlanta 30 25 .545 -

Washington 30 26 .536 ½

Florida 28 25 .528 1

N.Y. Mets 29 26 .527 1

Philadelphia 29 27 .518 1½

National League Central

Team W L Pct. GB

St. Louis 36 19 .655 -

Chi. Cubs 29 25 .537 6½

Milwaukee 26 29 .473 10

Pittsburgh 25 29 .463 10½

Cincinnati 21 34 .382 15

Houston 20 34 .370 15½

National League West

Team W L Pct. GB

San Diego 34 22 .607 -

Arizona 30 26 .536 4

L.A. Dodgers 28 27 .509 5½

San Francisco 23 30 .434 9½

Colorado 18 36 .333 15

Taking a look at the standings, the two most interesting and maybe best divisions in baseball are the American League East and National League East. In the AL East no doubt the sudden losing of the Yankees has caught everybody off, I bet nobody had them in 4th place as of right now, they should be in first maybe running away with the division. Then there is Baltimore, I admit when they signed Sammy Sosa we would have another Albert Belle where he would be just washed up and would be useless, but he's been real good and no doubt right now the MVP of the American League, Brian Roberts, has been incredible this season.

Meanwhile in the NL East, seperating first from last is 1 1/2 games, that's it. This division could come down to the wire, and did anybody have right now the Nationals a 1/2 game out of first? Can they keep up with everybody else? Who will take that division by the balls and run away with it? Only time will tell.

Washington is only a half Game behind Atlanta for first in the NL East, how the hell did that happen?

And nice to see the Yankees second to last in the their division, although I wish Seattle was doing better <_<

Edited by Sabu

I wish the Yankees were doing worse right around now.

NL East ... that's an interesting division right now. Should be great to watch around September if things stay the same.

Looks like a weak trading time in July with so many teams still around with a chance.

Granted Washington didnt play that well last year it isnt like they are some thrown together expansion team they are a team that been together. I am sure that a change in scenery probaly helped the players since there are actually people at the games this year compared to last years games in Montreal.

The AL East is actually interesting to watch right now, as its close, and the Yankees aren't in first place, which makes me extrememly happy. I wish my Red Sox were doing better though.

Graves wasnt really doing that well at the beginning of the season. When I saw him when they faced Cleveland he really didnt pitch that well and by the looks of his ERA 7.76 he wasnt pitching that good against anyone. Maybe a change in scenery will help him but that remains to be seen.

Graves wasnt really doing that well at the beginning of the season.  When I saw him when they faced Cleveland he really didnt pitch that well and by the looks of his ERA 7.76 he wasnt pitching that good against anyone.  Maybe a change in scenery will help him but that remains to be seen.

Could be true, I didnt realize that they got him for just 300000. That is a pretty good deal if he is able to return to his previous form and even if he returns to the way he has been pitching most of the season if really isnt that big of a loss finacially.

Graves wasnt really doing that well at the beginning of the season.  When I saw him when they faced Cleveland he really didnt pitch that well and by the looks of his ERA 7.76 he wasnt pitching that good against anyone.  Maybe a change in scenery will help him but that remains to be seen.

A Major League talent, no matter how bad is an upgrade to the Mets 'pen. Looper's not exactly a stud, and the set-up guys are hit or miss. For just $300,000 you can't go wrong with picking up a former 40+ save guy.

Well the first round of the MLB draft along with a few more rounds happened yesterday and like predicted BJ Uptons brother, Justin went with the first pick to the Dbacks. Rather then posting the entire analyst from espn since it is pretty long here is a link to the write up on the picks: Draft Picks.

I'm liking this thing between the Braves and Nationals.  I'm hoping the Braves will pull it out and take this division like they've done so many times before but if the Nationals keep playing decent they might take it away from the Braves.

Edited by sahyder1

I think the Braves bull pen is going to to it, Smoltz and Hudson are constantly putting up good games. Piazza and Beltran might be good hitters but the Braves have a couple of big power hitters, J.Estrada is a big guy and if given the right pitch could slam it out of the park. They also have A.Jones who can step up and be a great player. I stand by my opinion that the Braves will take this division. I see them going to the NLCS before getting knocked out of the playoffs.