2005 MLB Thread

Cole

So..talk about the 2005 season in here...Spring Training starts on March 3rd and I'm exicted for this season.

I'm a big time baseball fan and have played my whole life.

I'm sure where going to get some people in here that might say baseball is boring..but it's a thinking game. It's not just hitting a ball then running, or throwing a pitch and hoping it goes by. You have to think, On a 2-1 count...what do you throw? Try to pull the batter in with a high heater? or a in the dirt curveball?

So..Please don't say "Baseball is boring"

My fav. team is the astros so I have some hopes for them this year. Without Beltran I think they might be in trouble this year though as he carried them offensivly during the playoffs.

I have to like the Blue Jays as well as i'm like 40 minutes away from T.O. I go to about 20-30 games a year and i'm currently planning on going to Opening Night.

You'll also get my amazing pro line picks in here :shifty:

• Replies 579
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well, I'm hoping to get to a Jays game on the 9th of April.. Live around Peterborough, but it's tough to get time off.. *laughs*

Hopefully the season is better than the last one for the Jays... It'll help if Halladay isn't injured..

I liked the Expos while they were in existance.. I'm not too sure I'm willing to support the Washington Nationals..

w00t! Jays fans are all over this board :shifty:

I'm a huge, HUGE, HUGE Jays fan and although I'm skeptical on the teams success this season I am still really looking forward to the year! I plan to attend the home opener this year (4 hour drive from Ottawa) if I can get the time off work.

GO JAYS GO!

Edited by Miami Vice

Lets just wait for Koujays coach Kou :)

Halladay was a let down last year. They overworked him in the year before...he was pitching on 4 days rest and pitched tons of 8 or 9 inning ball since the bullpen fucked things up everytime.

Hopefully Koch can add some depth in there.

But the playoffs won't be in Toronto for a long time.

Now...I'm thinking I might split a 6 game flex pack with my friend...we'll get 6 games...and split the costs (2 tickets to each game ;)) The first game would be opener (which we planned on going to regardless) now..on mlb.com if i'm on the Blue Jays site does that mean it's in Canadian or American still?

If it's in American...can you get the flex packs at the Skydome...(cough) sorry...the Rogers Centre or w/e the fuck it's called now a days...

Depending on some circumstances and scheduling, I might go to a Jays game or two in a couple months. Slim hopes right now, but can't hurt dreaming?

But first and foremost, my team is the Red Sox. Taking the field as defending champions for the first time since my great-grandmother was about 4 (she's now nearly 90). Should be a good year, good chances to repeat. New pitching staff, Renteria over Cabrera. We'll see how it all goes down.

Can you like a team if you hate seemingly half of their players?

Only in New York and Philly. Philly because they just hate everyone and everything there. In New York, you can because you expect so much out of your teams, the owners shell money out the ass, and then field teams that just crash and burn in some miraculous way or another. The Yankees getting knocked in the playoffs or the Mets just being themselves and blowing major.

Can you like a team if you hate seemingly half of their players?

Only in New York and Philly. Philly because they just hate everyone and everything there. In New York, you can because you expect so much out of your teams, the owners shell money out the ass, and then field teams that just crash and burn in some miraculous way or another. The Yankees getting knocked in the playoffs or the Mets just being themselves and blowing major.

Can't wait to go to Baltimore and Chicago to see the Red Sox play the O's and Cubs. Its easier to get tickets there then it is here. As for the season, I think the Sox will do well. Our rotation was a bit better last year, but our lineup is looking better I'd say. Heres to an exciting season!

I'll just happen to forget the fact that we still don't have a proven outfield aside from A.J., but we'll keep it simple with:

"Tim Hudson.  Game over."

Amen...and whatever Timmy can't finish, Danny Kolb should be able to clean up nicely.

And they're gonna have to, 'cause relying on Raul Mondesi for large RBI production is like playing Russian Roulette with only one empty chamber.

Midge, what's your opinion on Smoltz headed back to the rotation?

And finally, Barry Bonds is a fucking ignorant tool. That is all.

Can't wait to go to Baltimore and Chicago to see the Red Sox play the O's and Cubs. Its easier to get tickets there then it is here. As for the season, I think the Sox will do well. Our rotation was a bit better last year, but our lineup is looking better I'd say. Heres to an exciting season!

Yeah, it's impossible to get tickets to a Sox game now. Baltimore is nice, Camden Yards anyway. I went down there for a game last year, and I bought the tickets the night before the game. They had a good turnout, but it's much more easier to get tix. I think Fenway might be sold out for the year *already*.

Midge, what's your opinion on Smoltz headed back to the rotation?

It's nothing but good. Smoltz has wanted to do this for a while now, and Kolb will be more than capable of holding down the late innings. Besides, without Smoltz in the rotation this year, it would've likely been Hudson/Thomson/Hampton/Ramirez/Random Minor Leaguer who wasn't ready. So throwing a guy like Smoltz in there gives him a chance to be happy, the rotation much more depth, and the minor leaguers a chance to stew for a bit.

Mondesi in right field is no worse than our new random minor leaguer in left. I really wish we could've kept Thomas, but when somebody waves Tim Hudson around, I guess giving up a plucky young outfielder wouldn't be too bad. We did it with Michael Tucker and Jermaine Dye, so why not Thomas as well?

While we're on the topic of Smoltz, which do you think would be easier; to go from starter to reliever/closer, or reliever/closer to starter?

I think he'll have a few problems early on...mainly because for the past few seasons he's had to go 1-2 innings and could throw everything he had as hard as he could, because he's only throwing 3 outs a game. Now he's expected to go somewhere between 5 and 8 innings depending on how solid the bullpen is; it'll be interesting to see how he does making that transfer.