2005 MLB Thread

Cole

• Replies 579
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm watching this Cubs/D'Backs game and the Cubbies are looking good. They've driven in 2 runs so far in the first off of Vasquez. It's too bad too because I was hoping Vazquez would have a good season...

One day after Tampa Bay Devil Rays outfielder Alex Sanchez was suspended 10 days for violating baseball's new drug policy, 38 Minor League players have violated "Major League Baseball's Minor League Drug Prevention and Treatment Program" against performance-enhancing substances.

The suspensions for 37 of the players will last 15 games, while David Castillo of Oakland A's Single-A team was given a penalty of 60 games.

Among some of the notable names on the list are Seattle Mariners Triple-A players left-handed pitcher Damian Moss and catcher Ryan Christianson and Texas Rangers Triple-A catcher Robert Machado, who's since been released.

These results reflect 925 tests that were conducted at the Minor League camps in Arizona during the 2005 Spring Training and includes one positive test from off-season testing. Minor league penalties for violations are 15 games for 1st positive test; 30 for second; 60 for third; 1 year for fourth; lifetime ban for fifth positive.

Random unannounced testing will continue to be conducted throughout the Minor League season.

One day after Tampa Bay Devil Rays outfielder Alex Sanchez was suspended 10 days for violating baseball's new drug policy, 38 Minor League players have violated "Major League Baseball's Minor League Drug Prevention and Treatment Program" against performance-enhancing substances.

The suspensions for 37 of the players will last 15 games, while David Castillo of Oakland A's Single-A team was given a penalty of 60 games.

Among some of the notable names on the list are Seattle Mariners Triple-A players left-handed pitcher Damian Moss and catcher Ryan Christianson and Texas Rangers Triple-A catcher Robert Machado, who's since been released.

These results reflect 925 tests that were conducted at the Minor League camps in Arizona during the 2005 Spring Training and includes one positive test from off-season testing. Minor league penalties for violations are 15 games for 1st positive test; 30 for second; 60 for third; 1 year for fourth; lifetime ban for fifth positive.

Random unannounced testing will continue to be conducted throughout the Minor League season.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2029779

good to see there finally cracking down on the cheaters

I'm watching this Cubs/D'Backs game and the Cubbies are looking good. They've driven in 2 runs so far in the first off of Vasquez. It's too bad too because I was hoping Vazquez would have a good season...

Edited by Cole37

Guest Bluesman

Yea I had to go to class, but Pedro was looking very good (struck out 7 straight guys or something like that) before I left. I saw Radke give up the 3 run bomb to Sexson in the first and decided it was time to play ball...seeing as how we lost 5-1 it doesn't look like I missed much.

Guest Locutus of Borg

I would first like to say: DAVID WELLS IS A BUM! I mean, come on, 4.1 innings and he gives up 4 runs on 10 hits. Only bright side: 4 K's in the short outing. I don't know why Boston signed him. Surely they could've gotten someone better than him? All I can say now is that I hope he proves me terribly wrong. Clement, however, will be one to watch. Some criticize the move, but he had no run support with Chicago. Hopefully the middle of the lineup can live up to last year and support their pitcher.

On a lighter note: Dmitri Young is on pace to hit 486 home runs this year. Someone needs to give BALCO a call...

And: Atlanta opens the season against Florida tomorrow with Smoltz on the mound! Go Braves!

On one more side note: GO BOSOX!

I would first like to say: DAVID WELLS IS A BUM! I mean, come on, 4.1 innings and he gives up 4 runs on 10 hits. Only bright side: 4 K's in the short outing. I don't know why Boston signed him. Surely they could've gotten someone better than him? All I can say now is that I hope he proves me terribly wrong.

On one more side note: GO BOSOX!

agreed. Wells, not sure why Boston ever signed him. He might have been better leading a team with young kids and little hope for the year. I hope I can get proven wrong too.

I have, and always will, be a Braden Looper hater. I'd rather have Benitez back in the pen...or hell, I'd rather have Franco back closing games.

And I'm probably the only one that doesn't see steroid use as cheating. It's not like it isn't readily available for these guys, as the number of guys that just got hit in the minor league tests shows that you don't have to have a multi-million dollar contract to get them.

If a guy has a Gold Glove season and he's using a glove from a different company that only a few guys use, is he a cheater? If a guy hits 50 home runs because the bat he uses is from a different company than the rest of the league, is he a cheater? Anybody can (and a decent number do) choose to use steroids.

If somebody went on a muscle-buidling diet and worked out 15 hours a day before the season, people would be admiring his work ethic/thinking he's a lunatic. But if somebody gets the same results with steroid usage, they're a cheater?

Guest Brady_3for3

Dmitri Young is on pace to hit 486 Home Runs and have 810 RBI. He is your better, bow dwon before the 2005 World Series Champions Detroit Tigers. DY for POPE!!!!

Dmitri Young is on pace to hit 486 Home Runs and have 810 RBI. He is your better, bow dwon before the 2005 World Series Champions Detroit Tigers. DY for POPE!!!!

:lol:

As a fellow Detroiter and Tiger fan, I'd absolutely love to see us in the World Series. I understand you're comments are in jest, but the thought of us in the World Series is a pipedream at this point. I think there's a very real chance that the Tigers can pull off a division title, but I still feel that our starting pitching is a bit weak. I like Bonderman, and I also like Mike Maroth, but Jason Johnson worries me and the rest haven't proven much to me.

However, I can understand your enthusiasm as we haven't had much to be excited about in the past decade when talking about baseball. This is the first time I've been excited for the Tigers since...well it's the first time ever. We have a nice core of hitters with Guillen, Young, Pudge, Ordonez, and some young guys who could become solid contributors this year (Craig Monroe and Carlos Pena come to mind).

There's also nothing to complain about as far as relief pitching goes when you have Urbina, and then Percival to clean things up.

I'm hoping to attend a few Tigers games this year, probably as early as this Saturday.

Edited by VerbalPuke

Nice to see ESPN with the long slate of games, however didn't there used to be more? Oh well, I actually have to go to class tomorrow, and the Twins start at 4 when there is (I believe) only one game on ESPN. I kind of wish the Brewers/Pirates was on, as evidently Sheets and Perez are starting. I guess I can understand why ESPN wouldn't carry the game...

Unfortunately Perez got smacked around a bit after a good first innings. He's great fun to watch. Sheets was good. My beloved Bucs got done 9 to 2 or something. :(

Jays start off strong with a 5-2 win in Tampa Bay, which is a big step for them, since TB usually has their number, ESPECIALLY at Tropicana Field.

Three big home runs, from O-Dog, Wellsy, and Hinske.

And everyone thought they'd be powerless without Delgado!

Let's keep it up, boys!

I really think the Jays are gonna suprise some people if Lilly and Halladay stay healthy. I really like the build up of this team and they have young players they can deal at the deadline to get someone like Zito or Sheets. Rios and League are definitely gonna surprise people this year

Braden Looper is thanking God big time right now....Mariano blows it in the 9th. The Red Sox simply own him

Edit: Damn it, Foulke allows a walkoff in the bottom of the 9th. What a bizarre start to the season. Looper, Hoffman, Rivera and Foulke

Edited by sahyder1