Musicians you would love to see collaborate

Billy Castillo

The title pretty much says it all, but I do need to make one thing clear. I'm NOT talking about duets; I'm talking about an out-and out collaboration, i.e. Jack White with Loretta Lynn,where the two artists make a cohesive statement rather than just a one-off song for novelty purposes.

For me...I'd love to see Scott Weiland (Velvet Revolver, ex-Stone Temple Pilot) collaborate with Brian Wilson. I already know there's a few whose jaws just dropped and begun shaking their heads in disagreement. However, this paring would make more sense then you'd first believe. And, no, this wasn't just brought on by the fact that the two were part of the all-star rendition of Across the Universe at the Grammys.

Let's compare...

Brian Wilson formed the Beach Boys with his two brothers (Carl and Dennis), his cousin (Mike Love), and a high school buddy (Al Jardine). The Beach Boys were huge from the moment they started (first album, 1962) due to Brian's creative arrangments,which set them apart from other groups. Their first few albums were standard as far as sound/style, but they were popular. Brian began using drugs, which *initially* resulted in more mature, sophisticated music-compare 1966's Pet Sounds to the surf stuff- but soon led to addiction, and deterioration (I probably mispelled that, but I can't sleep and I'm tired). Brian's voice went from a smooth tenor to...well...by the mid 70s, he sounded completely different. His voice had become hoarse and gravelly (cocaine and chain-smoking will do that to you). Plus, he gained a hell of a lot of weight. Despite that, he created some really terrific music that was actually far better than the Beach Boy's most famous material(which, of course, didn't sell as well). He drifted in and out of the group, but didn't go solo until 1988,by which point the Beach Boys were nothing more than an oldies group. Over the past couple of years, he has overcome his past demons (he got off drugs in 1983, but other shit kept him out until 1998) and rebuilt his career, including winning his first Grammy this month.

Scott Weiland formed Stone Temple Pilots with some friends (including two brothers), who released their first album in 1992. They were huge from the moment they started,despite sounding like a lot of other groups at the time. Weiland's drug use (joined by the DeLeo Brothers) *initially* resulted in them becoming more creative-compare 1996's Tiny Music to Core-but led to, well...all of us know Weiland's legal history :rolleyes: . That said, their music became *much* better than the more well-known "grunge" material. Which, of course, didn't sell as well. Weiland was in and out of the group, cutting his solo album in 1998.Drugs tunred Weiland's voice from a growl into a frail tenor. STP split in 2002, in which they admitted they were afraid of becoming an oldies group. Weiland got with Velvet Revolver, and won his first Grammy this month.

Okay, some similarities there, but nothing to write home about. Well, as a fan of both artists (to the point where I have everything recorded by both, and not all official :shifty: ), there's more to it. If you listen to Weiland's solo album, there are several songs where he *sounds* like a young Brian Wilson. Heck, even on some STP albums there are some, like "And So I Know" off of Tiny Music. In fact, Weiland has said that the final STP album, Shangri-La Di Da, was inspired by listening to Pet Sounds religously.

I saw Brian in concert in October with my best friend, who's into stuff like Marilyn Manson. You know what? He *also* pointed out the similarites between their styles. Hearing Brian in person sing uptempo material...maybe it was just the show I went to, but he even *sounded* like Weiland does on his slower songs.

So, I think it would work (providing Weiland stays clean). Both are different in the ways that would lead perfect to collaboration ;Wilson writes great music, but usually uses a collaborator with the lyrics, while Weiland is just the opposite. Weiland is a professed Wilson fan, so there wouldn't take much. Also, keep in mind that both list the Beatles as their favorite group. Wilson prefers McCartney (obviously, since they are friends), and Weiland's guy is Lennon. Put the two together....

Okay, that was kind of long winded, but that's my pick.

Edited by Billy Castillo

As a fan of the Beach Boys, at first I thought you were nuts, but then I read your comments and I actually think that would be an interesting collaboration.

Collaborations I'd like to see (or would liked to have seen):

Ray Charles & Willie Nelson.

Ray Charles & Hall and Oates.

Alice Cooper & Korn.

Snoop Dogg & Korn (hey, Korn did a song with Ice Cube, and you can't tell me that a new version of Murder Was The Case, with Korn providing the music and Jonathan singing some of the lyrics, wouldn't be awesome)

Leann Rimes and Christina Aguilera (you have to admit that they both have great voices, even if Aguilera has turned into something of a skank)

And just for the hell of it.....

Lynrd Sknyrd & Kid Rock.

Guest Bluesman

Santana and Indigenous. It's pretty clear how much of an influence Santana has been on this band, especially the guitarist Mato Nanji. They've jammed on stage before, and Carlos seems to have this thing with playing with younger artists (even though almost all of them suck), so maybe it'll happen.

Santana and Chris Cornell; I'm not sure why but I think Cornell's voice and his calmer tracks would compliment Carlos' soulful guitar

Marilyn Manson and NIN; I don't think they've ever DIRECTLY collaborated on a track aside from Reznor producing IIRC, I'm likely wrong

Damon Albarn and the Gallagher Brothers; It'd never in a million years happen, but I'd love to see what the leaders of two of the biggest rival bands of the 90's could do together

Marilyn Manson and NIN; I don't think they've ever DIRECTLY collaborated on a track aside from Reznor producing IIRC, I'm likely wrong

That'd be good, except for the fact that Manson and Reznor had a falling out in the late 90s.

The opportunity to make money comes up, great music can be made, money dominates all emotions.

That'd be good, except for the fact that Manson and Reznor had a falling out in the late 90s.

The opportunity to make money comes up, great music can be made, money dominates all emotions.

FYI, they made up a couple of years ago.

As for who I'd like to see collaborate....ermmm......the Cornell/Santana combination would rule....I'd like to see more of the AIC/Maynard connection (played a benefit concert together, but would love for them to record some songs).

Considering alot of my hero's have passed away, I'd go with Jello Biafra and Mike Patton. I think Patton's eclectic style of music coupled with Jello's vocals would make for an interesting album. On top of that, Patton has ties to the West Coast punk scene from his earlier days when he was with the group Middle Class. Jello Biafra has proven that he has no problem in collaborating with all sorts of different groups (Nomeansno, D.O.A., Mojo Nixon, Lard, etc).

I'd also like to see any combination of Link Wray, Dick Dale, Los Straitjackets, or the Phantom Surfers work together. I'd like to see what kind of an album the pioneers of surf (Wray, Dale) would put together with the surf revivalists (Los Straitjackets, Phantom Surfers).

As a fan of the Beach Boys, at first I thought you were nuts, but then I read your comments and I actually think that would be an interesting collaboration.

Collaborations I'd like to see (or would liked to have seen):

Ray Charles & Willie Nelson.

They did, on Genius Loves Company singing "It Was A Very Good Year". 'Tis quiet good.

As for me:

Johnny Cash and Steve Earle, they knew each other but I'm not sure if they ever colaberated it would've been great because in my view Earle is the nearest thing to Johnny Cash we've got now.

Kris Kristofferson and Townes Van Zandt. Sure the singing would be awful, but they'd fit together to me.

Kris Kristofferson and Bob Dylan, same as above.

Woody Guthrie and Bob Dylan, I don't think it ever happened because by the time Dylan was getting going Woody was nearing the end of his life. It would've been great, Guthrie was Dylan's idol I'd love to have seen how they would've preformed together.

Eric Clapton and Muddy Waters.