Weird Music Tastes?

Captain Kirk

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Bluesman

Personally I was under the impression that much of the ground-breaking they were doing occurred in the social context, which would carry more weight than say, Chris Thomas King's foray into rap-blues in the early 90's. For example, groups like N.W.A. were not only ground breaking in a music sense, but for what they did socially as well. This is where I thought much of the criticism was coming from, as respect for ground-breaking music is determined by the tastes of the listener, however social change is universal.

Someone else mentioned Ministry, especially their earlier stuff. I still don't think I've found anything close to their "In case you didn't feel like showing up" live cd. Great stuff.

Ministry's old stuff is awesome, stuff like Bad Blood and Jesus Built My Hotrod. I also like that song they did for the A.I. soundtrack, What About Us?.

Personally I was under the impression that much of the ground-breaking they were doing occurred in the social context, which would carry more weight than say, Chris Thomas King's foray into rap-blues in the early 90's. For example, groups like N.W.A. were not only ground breaking in a music sense, but for what they did socially as well. This is where I thought much of the criticism was coming from, as respect for ground-breaking music is determined by the tastes of the listener, however social change is universal.

Someone else mentioned Ministry, especially their earlier stuff. I still don't think I've found anything close to their "In case you didn't feel like showing up" live cd. Great stuff.

Ministry's old stuff is awesome, stuff like Bad Blood and Jesus Built My Hotrod. I also like that song they did for the A.I. soundtrack, What About Us?.

Ever since GTA Vice City came out I've had a soft spot for 80's pop rock... well, mainly just the songs that were in the game.

I just died in your arms tonight, must've been something you said...

You do as Cutting Crew did before you!

I've been enjoying pop 80s music long before VC ever came out. Although perhaps VC got me interested enough in the stuff to put it around my #1 favorite - rap/hiphop.

What do I like: quite a lot from Journey, Hall and Oates, Heart, The Police, Chicago, Tears for Fears, stuff w/ Don Henley in it, Fleetwood Mac, and Foreigner. Late 70's and through 80's - since some groups above lasted longer before or after.

Oh, and I don't care too much for Beatles. I don't hate them, but I don't really like them either. Which is strange, my roomate at college is the biggest Beatles and classic rock fan I know.

Hmmm.

What to listen to?

The new Rammstein? Maybe the new Dark Tranquility? Haven't listen to Pearl Jam's 10, for a while. That Vanden Plas CD is looking pretty tempting. No wait...I'm in an Anti-Flag mood. No. I want to listen to Meshuggah's Catch 33.

Fuck that. I'm listening to Live.

Hmmm.

What to listen to?

The new Rammstein? Maybe the new Dark Tranquility? Haven't listen to Pearl Jam's 10, for a while. That Vanden Plas CD is looking pretty tempting. No wait...I'm in an Anti-Flag mood. No. I want to listen to Meshuggah's Catch 33.

Fuck that. I'm listening to Live.

Yeah....methinks you rule...