No Downloading In Canada?

tristy

For over two years, Canadians have enjoyed a freedom their American brethren do not - the ability to download media files legally. In December of 2003, the Canadian Copyright Board ruled that downloading files off a P2P network is legal. However, the board stressed that uploading files was still an illegal act.

And so, two years have passed and Canadians have been downloading merrily without consequence. However, it appears this free ride is in danger of ending very soon.

In a joint press release issued in Ottawa, Canada by the Ministry of Industry and Canadian Heritage, the Federal government proposed drastic changes to the current Copyright Act.

"We are pleased to have this opportunity to show Canadians how we intend

to build a copyright framework for the 21st century," said Minister Frulla. "We must strengthen the hand of our creators and cultural industries against the unauthorized use of their works on the Internet."

The goal of the proposed copyright legislation will be to implement the provisions of the 1996 World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO) treaties. Some of the more substantial changes are as follows:

* the circumvention for infringing purposes of technological protection measures (TPMs) applied to copyright material would constitute an infringement of copyright;

* the alteration or removal of rights management information (RMI) embedded in copyright material, when done to further or conceal infringement, would constitute an infringement of copyright;

* A "notice and notice" regime in relation to the hosting and file-sharing activities of an ISP's subscribers would be provided for. When an ISP receives notice from a rights holder that one of its subscribers is allegedly hosting or sharing infringing material, the ISP would be required to forward the notice to the subscriber, and to keep a record of relevant information for a specified time.

Although these proposed changes have not been signed into law just yet, this marks an significant change in Canada's file-sharing philosophy. The proposed legislation is to be presented before the House of Commons later this spring. If the provisions of the WIPO become law, the days of legal file-sharing will over for Canadians.

"This is terrific news," comments CRIA President Graham Henderson. "Canada is one step closer to having a copyright law that will reflect the realities of the digital marketplace and allow the music industry a chance to prosper. We want to thank the government and the opposition parties for their support in getting to this stage."

Oh, this is just fucking retarded now...

"This is terrific news," comments CRIA President Graham Henderson. "Canada is one step closer to having a copyright law that will reflect the realities of the digital marketplace and allow the music industry a chance to prosper. We want to thank the government and the opposition parties for their support in getting to this stage."

Won't...change...a...thing.

Well put. I only download songs to sample them, so I can figure out if I want to purchase the CD or not. I really don't give a fuck about these laws. As far as I'm concerned me download music to sample is just like watching MuchMusic or listening to the radio.

All I have to say is, congratulations to those men and women who have fought so hard to eliminate the individuality and uniqueness of music's fans... you're one step closer to making us all fans of Britney Spears, Eminem, Linkin Park and whatever the fuck else is "Music of the Moment".

I'm sure this is what the music industry really wants. Stamp out all the little guys, all the independent labels. Only shell out what they really want, brainwash the masses to get people to like it, and then rake in all the cash.

College radio stations, that play all the genres and music you don't often hear - and a lot more weird shit you could care less about - the industry probably wants that gone if it could.

Really, I would rather go out and buy a CD of music I like then download the CD completely, because I like the support the artists I like. But I would never be buying the CD without having used a file-sharing program to figure out if I do like the band's music.

Really, I would rather go out and buy a CD of music I like then download the CD completely, because I like the support the artists I like. But I would never be buying the CD without having used a file-sharing program to figure out if I do like the band's music.

I'm kinda the same way. I go out and buy the full albums instead of downloading it first.

I downloaded the full 50 Cent 'Massacre' album for free, but that was just because a radio station had a promo with some pay service offering it for free. And I downloaded a Cam'Ron album song by song, all the explicit versions of songs appearing on that album (which I owned the edited copy of.)

All I have to say is, congratulations to those men and women who have fought so hard to eliminate the individuality and uniqueness of music's fans... you're one step closer to making us all fans of Britney Spears, Eminem, Linkin Park and whatever the fuck else is "Music of the Moment".

I'm sure this is what the music industry really wants. Stamp out all the little guys, all the independent labels. Only shell out what they really want, brainwash the masses to get people to like it, and then rake in all the cash.

College radio stations, that play all the genres and music you don't often hear - and a lot more weird shit you could care less about - the industry probably wants that gone if it could.

I'm kinda the same way. I go out and buy the full albums instead of downloading it first.

I downloaded the full 50 Cent 'Massacre' album for free, but that was just because a radio station had a promo with some pay service offering it for free. And I downloaded a Cam'Ron album song by song, all the explicit versions of songs appearing on that album (which I owned the edited copy of.)

That 90% of money figure is actually a teeny exageration, yes, the bigigs to take the majority but the amount depends on how much influence the band had so to speak, e.g someone who rights their own material and produces it in house whilst playing instruments will get a far bigger amount back then, for example, a boy/girl band.

If that 90% figure were accurate how on earth would anyone make any money, it takes less then 100k sales in the UK for a numbver one now and has done for the last decade. There would be no longevity in a band if that figure was applied since you'd be bust before you even considered touring.