Maynard Finds Jesus?

tristy

Where did Maynard lose Jesus? It's always the last place you'll look...

[/obvious joke]

I'd concur with Bluesman, as uplifting as it may be for their souls, musicians generally turn into pretentious twats when they 'find' Jesus and the music really suffers. Here's hoping this isn't true, as I was looking forward to seeing Tool live again.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Bluesman

The idea is that musicians "find" religion and their music (and thus, their attitude) suffers mightily. The problem with the Ben Harper example is that he has been religious for quite awhile, and didn't "find" anything coinciding with the release of the gospel album.

Edited by Bluesman

MJK is already an arrogant twat, maybe God can fix him up.

Tool is still good music though. We'll see how it goes.

At what point does he come across as arrogant?

Any interview he does, he comes across to me as humble, intelligent and thoughtful. He's not like "my music is amazing" a la Ian Watkins and Billy Corgan. Maybe I just missed something there.

Well personally if it's true then I lost a lot of respect for him.

Why, because he chose to be Christian?

Because when a guy like Maynard sings very intelligent songs about how religion is bullshit and he speaks very intelligently about the same thing, but then goes and "finds Jesus" it's very depressing to people like myself who agree that religion is bullshit. So yes I would lose respect for him because he became a Christian just like I would lose respect for any of my friends who suddenly become jesus-freaks. Would I hate them? No. Would I refuse to see them ever again? No. Just like if this is true and Maynard continues to play with Tool or APC, I probably won't stop listening.

I agree with a lot you say, but quite a lot of Tool's and APC's have layered meanings, so when some people think he may be singing about religion, he could be singing about anything but religion. It's hard to say that he has been openly vocal about religion being rubbish, unless he has been truly open about his lyrics.

I always thought a song like Judith was explicitly about religion.

Most of thier stuff as I've said already is multi-layered, so it's about anything you want it to be really.

Judith has always been pushed to me as being about blind faith, which is different to just talking about religion and belittling it.

I agree with a lot you say, but quite a lot of Tool's and APC's have layered meanings, so when some people think he may be singing about religion, he could be singing about anything but religion. It's hard to say that he has been openly vocal about religion being rubbish, unless he has been truly open about his lyrics.

I don't know about his lyrics speaking against religion, but I know Maynard has spoken out against religion.

This sort of behavior is left to the psychotic, dogmatic, fundamentalist believers you see on T.V. everyday letting off bombs and killing people in the name of God. Beliefs are dangerous. Beliefs allow the mind to stop functioning. A non-functioning mind is clinically dead. Believe in nothing.

Furry muff.

Interesting to see that he might have gone back on his words. Oh well...

Any interview he does, he comes across to me as humble, intelligent and thoughtful. He's not like "my music is amazing" a la Ian Watkins and Billy Corgan. Maybe I just missed something there.

Guest Deathblow

I wonder how one would find God. Like if all of a sudden they think "Hey...God's cool." And you'd think the people close to him would notice a change in his attitude/actions if it wasn't an all of a sudden deal.