WrestleMania XXI

BlackFlagg

I was interested until I read the IGN review, style and no substance. I'll rent it though, and I hope you enjoy it, if not, return it and get Jade Empire :P

Guest Bluesman

Yea, I've been reading some bad things about this one, particularly as far as freezing and the like goes. I joked with the fiancee how she was supposed to have picked it up earlier today when she was shopping...I'm glad she didn't...

Guest Bluesman

Hows the season mode? It sounds like that's where a lot of people have been having freezing problems...

I heard the CAW is disappointing and doesn't offer many options. Is this true?

As someone who has been playing wrestling games since WCW/NWO World tour, I can honestly say this is one of the worst wrestling games I've ever played. Keep in mind this stuff is based off 2 hours of playing...I'm already sick of it though

The CAW is, at best, completely disappointing. Rembmer in Raw 2, you could edit stuff like timing on lights and pyros, make NWO-ish entrace videos, have clips of moves performing for your entrance? Not in this game. VERY basic entrance editting. A few pyro selections, no option to edit timing. No light editting. Entrance videos are limited to superstar entrances and the generic one..namely just the WMXXI logo. They don't even give you the choice of the RAW or Smackdown opening videos. You don't get to choose if your CAW will wear sometrhing to the ring then take it off during the match. Whatever you choose for him (yes, male only CAWS) is what he wears during the match.

Move selections. Ugghh..I mean, ok..Smackdown gives you too many choices that are too similar..I mean did we really need 18 different shining wizards, when all but 4 of them looked almost alike? Not really..then agani WMXXI only gives you one shining wizard, and its a finisher only. Vertebreaker? not in the game...Tiger Driver? Not in the game. Though Sliced Bread #2 is actually called Sliced Bread #2, not Ninja or whatever its called in Smackdown. Theres also some move called the Trish Stratus BUlldog that, from the nearest I can tell, is just a plain bulldog..not the Stratusfaction..though it is in the game.

I feel the submission system is poorly done. It is very similar to the Smackdown/No Mercy submission system of working on a bodypart and tapping a button. But its very easy to get the bar down to Submit, and it doesn't mean they'll submit anyway. Choices for top rope moves are limited to 4 moves..2 opponent standing, 2 opponent laying.

Glitches galor too. Sound skipping during CAW, slight freeze ups during the post match replay. And regular freezing. Good lord...I stopped palying after 2 hours cuz the game locked up on me 4 times in those 2 hours. A noticable 1 second lag between button pushes for strikes and your character doing them.

On the plus side, the graphics are really good. The sound, when not skipping, is amazing as well. The voiceovers are, IMO, better then Smackdown Vs. RAW, even your CAW gets a voice, but your not able to choose it. Luckily the voice gose well with the look of my CAW, or I'd be kinda laughing at it.

I made the grave mistake of buying this. I'd say definately a rental at best

seriously..it seems like they sent the wrong copy for dupping....like they accidently sent a beta copy to the plant or something. I thought new games were supposed tobe upgrades from the prior ones? As bad as Raw 2 was, it was infinately better then this I think.

god I wish I didn't trade in Raw Vs. Smackdown for this..wonder if blockbuster has a relpayed copy of RvS

Edited by Lint6

As someone who has been playing wrestling games since WCW/NWO World tour, I can honestly say this is one of the worst wrestling games I've ever played.  Keep in mind this stuff is based off 2 hours of playing...I'm already sick of it though

The CAW is, at best, completely disappointing.  Rembmer in Raw 2, you could edit stuff like timing on lights and pyros, make NWO-ish entrace videos, have clips of moves performing for your entrance?  Not in this game.  VERY basic entrance editting.  A few pyro selections, no option to edit timing.  No light editting.  Entrance videos are limited to superstar entrances and the generic one..namely just the WMXXI logo.  They don't even give you the choice of the RAW or Smackdown opening videos.  You don't get to choose if your CAW will wear sometrhing to the ring then take it off during the match.  Whatever you choose for him (yes, male only CAWS) is what he wears during the match.   

Move selections.  Ugghh..I mean, ok..Smackdown gives you too many choices that are too similar..I mean did we really need 18 different shining wizards, when all but 4 of them looked almost alike?  Not really..then agani WMXXI only gives you one shining wizard, and its a finisher only.  Vertebreaker?  not in the game...Tiger Driver?  Not in the game.  Though Sliced Bread #2 is actually called Sliced Bread #2, not Ninja or whatever its called in Smackdown. Theres also some move called the Trish Stratus BUlldog that, from the nearest I can tell, is just a plain bulldog..not the Stratusfaction..though it is in the game. 

I feel the submission system is poorly done.  It is very similar to the Smackdown/No Mercy submission system of working on a bodypart and tapping a button.  But its very easy to get the bar down to Submit, and it doesn't mean they'll submit anyway.  Choices for top rope moves are limited to 4 moves..2 opponent standing, 2 opponent laying. 

Glitches galor too.  Sound skipping during CAW, slight freeze ups during the post match replay.  And regular freezing.  Good lord...I stopped palying after 2 hours cuz the game locked up on me 4 times in those 2 hours.  A noticable 1 second lag between button pushes for strikes and your character doing them.

On the plus side, the graphics are really good.  The sound, when not skipping, is amazing as well.  The voiceovers are, IMO, better then Smackdown Vs. RAW, even your CAW gets a voice, but your not able to choose it.  Luckily the voice gose well with the look of my CAW, or I'd be kinda laughing at it.

I made the grave mistake of buying this.  I'd say definately a rental at best

Those are my exact feelings on the game. The loading kills the game completely as that's where all the freezing comes in. It has only actually FROZEN my game once, but mini-freezes are all over the place.

There was actually a point in a match where I guess I was supposed to be back body dropped, but my guy dove up like a salmon, stayed that way in the air for maybe 2 seconds (while my opponent just stood there), and then he fell down completing the flip.

One of the good things is that when moves connect, it looks and feels like they are actually making contact most of the time and that the AI is actually harder.

The generic voice given to the superstar is fine and all, but I feel the words are way too scripted. It comes off like they are actually reading from the paper in front of them than actually talking.

Oh, and of course tag teams don't come out together anymore. It's like the game is going backwards or something.

I don't know what else to cover that Lint hasn't, but I definitely will try and continue playing and try to enjoy the experience as much as possible becasue in the end it can be entertaining to a degree.

PS The graphics are some of the best I've ever seen in a WWE game at least.

Oh yea totally. If your able to see past the glitches and the games many shortcomings, it did indeed have potential to be a very good game. It just feel like it slightly rushed...ok more then slightly. Like they skipped beta testing all together in orderto get the game out

EDIT: Ok guys..update..literally. Start up WMXXI and connect to Xbove Live though te option on the main menu of WMXXI. It will download an update that will fix a good number of the glitches..most notably the freezing during post-match replays. However, it will also invalidate all CAWS you might have. I didn't know this and didn't try saving my CAW to my memory card, so you might want to do that. It will leave your profile untouched, so whatever money you saved up through career mode will still be there

Edited by Lint6

sad, took a look at the gs video review, the animations actualy look a lot better compared to the other wwe games, not as fast paced and spastic overkilled, at least something in the right direction, but i lost all my faith in THQ ever developing another wrestling game with awsome (or even good) gameplay....

Edited by Michael Matzat