Another ugly incident in hockey

SeanDMan

http://s37.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2DQI7D6...1D13KP42153D959

This is simply put one of the dirtiest things I have ever seen in hockey. It's way worse then McSorely and Perezhogin's antics of the same nature, and worse then the Bertuzzi incident. It's right up there with Dale Hunter, IMO. It's totally uncalled for, totally illegal, and assault charges are almost guaranteed.

You may have seen it. If you watched ESPN you should watch this clip, as ESPN tared it down a bit.

Thanks to Kaneanite for uploading it.

I wouldn't put that in the cateogory of any of these incidents, it wasn't that bad no one broke their neck at all.

Judging incidents by the damage done is stupid. If a guy gets shot once and dies and another guy gets shot five times and survives, does the one shot instantly become more heinous?

Let's break down what happened:

That sound you hear at the start of the clip is the buzzer, so the period/game is over.

That guy you see charging in with stick raised just came off the bench, which (in case you don't know hockey, and I guess that you don't) is an instant game misconduct and suspension.

That guy in white is clearly disinterested in stick to stick combat, and begins skating away at full stride and then turns to try and get a mildly defensable position before being nailed in the face with a hockey stick.

How you can compare breaking a hockey stick with 2-3 solid shots to the face to one punch and say "it's not as bad, the guy is still walking" I don't know. The intent was there and the action was definitely there, the fact that the guy isn't hamming it up for a sweet legal settlement shouldn't enter into the equation.

That was pretty bad.

I remember during a Toronto/Ottawa playoff game a few years back there was almost an incident that would have been just as bad as any other. Play was going on near the Leafs bench, a Leaf defenseman (IIRC it was Kaberle) was doing his best to piss Alfredsson the fuck off. There's a whistle and the play stops, Kaberle turns his attention away from Alfredsson and whatever, but Alfredsson turns around, takes his stick winds back and looks like he's ready to two-hand him in the face at point blank range, however Sundin (I think) was right behind Alfredsson and grabbed the stick just as it look like it was about to be swung.

Wow, that's pretty badass shot. Really uncalled for to chase and then slap him with the stick like that.

On a side note: there's some minor league team in my city notorious for fighting. Several players got banned from the league after some, the team's owner got arrested for punching a ref. Crazy.