UK Rap/Hip Hop/Garage : The Debate

Guest Blade

Do you think U.k. Rap/Hip Hop/Garage etc.. is becoming bigger than u.s.a's music  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think U.k. Rap/Hip Hop/Garage etc.. is becoming bigger than u.s.a's music

• Yes
    • The U.K. is getting there slowly but surely
    • Hell No, USA owns them forever
    • No

Up north your rap fans are essentially, as mentioned by someone else, chavs who wouldn't listen to your up and coming grime types anyway. They'd be listening to Fiddy Cent and whatever that really shit one is that were number 1 on CD:UK. There isn't really a market to sustain a large UK rap industry, just a few standout stars such as Dizzee Rascal and the like.

Yeah, we're all a bit simple up north. Pompous twat.

Sorry that my first post was an insult but it needed to be said. As for the topic in hand, the UK will never gain the popularity of the US scene but there's some very good shit coming out of the UK. As someone has mentioned Roots Manuva has been producing quality material for ages, in fact Witness is one of the best hip-hop songs I've ever heard, period.

The mainstream US Hip-Hop scene is so stagnant now days; it's all the same shit. If you want to find the really good stuff you've gotta look hard. I mostly listen to older material now. I'd advise anyone that likes good Hip-Hop to check out Souls of Mischief - 93 till Infinity. It was released in...Well, in 93 as you can tell by the album title and it still sounds fresh today.

Edited by Colly

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Mr McFarlane

Well if you like quantity you have the US.

If you want quality? Welcome to Canada and the UK. :P

I agree about the quality in Canada, sorta. K-OS is fucking awesome. Fuck the UK though.

America has plenty of quality rappers, though.

I see you have not discovered Sir Abdominal.

Beatnik has only sent me one song of Abdominal.

Brassmunk, K-OS, Kardinal, The Rascalz, Buck 65, Swollen Members, Mood Ruff, Dead Celebrity Status, Sweatshop Union are just some of the talent that Canada has to offer. With the exception of some oddities, Canada has some very good talent.

But as previously stated, America wins with Quantity as opposed to Quality. For every Nas there is a Nelly, for every Slug there is a Chingy.

syco nailed it right on the motherfucking head. The US rap scene slaughters the UK's. Yes, there are a ton of shit rappers out there, but thats attributed to MTV shoving shit down everyone's throats. Even so, there are a ton of talented guys in the mainstream that are so much better than anyone in the UK. The underground scene just cements that fact, as there are people like Canibus, Necro and Slug who would eat anyone from the UK alive. It's not a contest.

Meh, I maintain the UK's mainstream rap scene isn't as good - although it is more diverse. The only "rappers" who can really be called mainstream are Dizzee Rascal, Wiley, Kano, The Streets, Shystie (fastest female rapper in the world, officially) and Roots Manuva. I guess you could count So Solid Crew at a stretch, but they're ball bags.

The UK scene is taking baby steps at the minute, consider the fact that America has had a striving urban music scene since at least the 80s, with the emergence of the Public Enemys or N.W.As. Give the UK some more time.

There's nothing to say but:

Raskit - boy in the corner, still roll deep

Young star give me the beat and let me prove.

London City forever, you know I still creep

Ain't no stopping me never, you best move.

Live-O, wetting the world with no prentention

World-wide critics acclaim my big moves.

Showtime, main event - you can't beef me

Dizzee Rascal, that means I can't lose.

London - Stand up Tall.

Guest Mr McFarlane

Fuck you Elegante, I saw Vicious Battle Raps on Much like three years ago.  :shuriken:

As "Music for the Mature B-Boy" was released only 2 years ago, I'm gonna say no.

syco nailed it right on the motherfucking head. The US rap scene slaughters the UK's. Yes, there are a ton of shit rappers out there, but thats attributed to MTV shoving shit down everyone's throats. Even so, there are a ton of talented guys in the mainstream that are so much better than anyone in the UK. The underground scene just cements that fact, as there are people like Canibus, Necro and Slug who would eat anyone from the UK alive. It's not a contest.

Guest Mr McFarlane

Fuck you Elegante, I saw Vicious Battle Raps on Much like three years ago.  :shuriken:

As "Music for the Mature B-Boy" was released only 2 years ago, I'm gonna say no.

I SAID LIKE, HAVE YOU EVER SEEN THE VIDEO? I DON'T THINK SO ELEGANTE. :shuriken:

Necro might literally eat anyone from the UK alive, but lyrically he'd do no such thing. He's nothing but shock value, all horrorcore/acid rap is. Slug isn't shit either. Don't write off a music scene you know nothing about.

You can write off Necro all you want, because he is mostly shock value, but Slug is possibly THE best rapper in the world today, and you can take your shitty UK scene and shove it up your ass.

Necro might literally eat anyone from the UK alive, but lyrically he'd do no such thing. He's nothing but shock value, all horrorcore/acid rap is. Slug isn't shit either. Don't write off a music scene you know nothing about.

Why did someone even think of considering UK's rap better than US?

Are you insane? I know that UK has some good rappers, but the US has tons of rappers, unknown rappers who don't even have deals who can do better than alot of UK rappers. The ones who do get contracts are usually the best.

The UK for now being better at rap than the US, is about as politically correct as someone saying Boy George is straight. Sorry, but the US wins hands down, I'll admit the UK has improved alot rap wise, but there's no chance in hell they've 'surpassed' or will surpass in the near future the current game that the U-S of A has.

Actually, I could give a fuck about a British accent. I prefer early 90s West Coast gangsta rap, so, of course, UK rap can't compare, because you have nothing to rap about in that style. You gonna rap about some chavs, and compare them to Crips and Bloods? You gonna rap about riding in your shitty little British car on a round-a-bout in London instead of dippin' on the 'Shaw? Please. I am HIGHLY uninterested in UK rap, and no, I probably couldn't name many UK rappers, because I don't waste my time remembering the names of people that suck.

Don't write off a music scene you know nothing about.

Write off? Where in the fuck did I write off the UK scene? All I said was that you can't compare the UK scene to the US one because right now, the best UK rapper doesnt match up to a lot of people in the US. Although thats the case, its not like the UK scene is bad at all. There is talent there, but its not as polished as the ones in the US at the moment. Also, what the fuck are you talking about me not knowing anything about the UK scene? Just because I dont live in England doesnt mean that I dont listen to UK rappers so please shut the fuck up and dont say shit that you dont know a thing about.

Guest Pirate Chasin' Booty

I like the way every American assumes British life is like that of Hugh Grant in Notting Hill, yes thats exactly how life unfolds here.