British Lions

I'm not a big rugby fan or anything, but I know they have a british all star team to tour and shit like that. If we had one of those (for football) what would be your starting 11? Mine would be:

GK: Shay Given

DL: Ashley Cole

DR: Jamie Carragher

CB: Rio Ferdinand

CB: John Terry

MR: David Beckham

MC: Steven Gerrard

MC: Frank Lampard

ML: Damien Duff

FC: Wayne Rooney

FC: Michael Owen

All I could come up with was an English team with a couple Irish players.

GK: Dean Kiely

Get Given out of there; it was a travesty that Given was chosen ahead of Deano for the RoI team.

Can't argue with either of these

Argh. I don't like Ferdinand - never have done - and he's not that great a player either. Unfortunately, there seems to be no-one suitable to replace him, so he stays.

Player of the year. How can you not use him?

See Ferdinand.

MD: Steven Gerrard

ML: Joe Cole

The Chelsea three. (OK, Gerrard technically isn't but I still think he'll be going there sooner or later)

I want to find room for Peter Crouch, because he's a damn good striker, but I am loathe to leave out Rooney in case he bursts into action and single-handedly eviscerates the next team we play.

Robinson

A.Cole

Carragher

Terry

Finnan

Gerrard

Roy Keane

Duff

Beckham

Crouch

Robbie Keane

Subs:

Given

Campbell

Harte

Roy Keane

Holland

Lampard

Owen

I picked Peter Crouch for tactical reasons. I have Rooney on the bench because I just don't think he's been that impressive since Euro 2004. I have Ian Harte on the bench just well because he's an option for free kicks and I couldn't think of another English or Irish defender at that moment in time. Same goes for Matt Holland.

Edited by The Lonesome Hobo

Using players from every country (with Notheren Ireland, not ROI), I'd go:

GK: Paul Robinson

DF: John Terry ©

DF: Steven Pressley

LB: Wayne Bridge (yes, Chelsea bias)

RB: Aaron Hughes

MF: Frank Lampard

MF: Steven Gerrard

ML: Stewart Downing

MR: Shaun Wright Phillips

FW: Wayne Rooney

FW: Robert Earnshaw

GK: Dean Kiely

Get Given out of there; it was a travesty that Given was chosen ahead of Deano for the RoI team.

Can't argue with either of these

Argh. I don't like Ferdinand - never have done - and he's not that great a player either. Unfortunately, there seems to be no-one suitable to replace him, so he stays.

Player of the year. How can you not use him?

See Ferdinand.

MD: Steven Gerrard

ML: Joe Cole

The Chelsea three. (OK, Gerrard technically isn't but I still think he'll be going there sooner or later)

I want to find room for Peter Crouch, because he's a damn good striker, but I am loathe to leave out Rooney in case he bursts into action and single-handedly eviscerates the next team we play.

Edited by JohnnyPerfect

Two things - Cech is the best keeper in the Premiership, no debating. He's probably the 3rd best in the world right now, behind Buffon and Casillias. Shay Given is ok, granted he has a shite defense, but he's too short to be considered a great goalkeeper. Any normal sized keeper would have saved Ashton's goal when Norwich beat them. And unlike a pint sized keeper like Barthez, he isn't a great shot stopper.

Oh and I'd probably bring Savage into my team, think the guy is great when he wants to be and can really boost a midfield at times.

If we're including the Republic of Ireland then i'd have Given plus 10 English outfield players. If not then Rob Green.

GK: Shay Given/Rob Green

RB: Gary Neville

LB: Ashley Cole

CM: Frank Lampard

CM: Michael Carrick

CM: Steven Gerrard

AM: Wayne Rooney

CF: Michael Owen

CF: Alan Smith

Subs

Ryan Giggs

Joe Cole

Sol Campbell

Robbie Savage

Jermain Defoe

Shaun Wright-Phillips

Phil Neville

I don't really rate much of the Welsh, Scottish or Irish players to be honest. The only others I would consider from those countries are Fletcher, Ferguson and maybe Earnshaw.

I'd have to go with the general concenus and say it would be pretty much the England team, with a cameo from Giggs if we needed someone to actually play down the left properly. No offence to the Norther Irish, Scottish or Welsh players, but there wouldnt be any need for them. If Republic of Ireland players could be picked, then maybe Duff and Robbie Keane.

That's fucking retarded, seriously. Savage would struggle to get into an England squad, let alone a British one. If Savage was half the player he thought he was, he'd be playing Champions League football - he isn't. I'd rate Gerrard, Lampard, Carrick, Cole, Beckham, Roy Keane, Barry Ferguson, Jenas and Dyer over him for a Centre Midfield spot.

I would have to agree with you there, he isnt anywhere near good enough. All those players you have mentioned are miles ahead of Savage. He is good at winding up other players and taking shits in refs toilets, but I don't think we need a tactician like that in the team.

If we're talking squads, a player like Steve Finnan > Phil Neville.

I'd go with:

GK: Robinson

DR: G.Neville

DC: Terry

DC: Ferdinand

MR: Beckham

ML: Duff

MC: Gerrard

MC: Lampard

FC: Rooney

FC: Owen

Subs:

Given

Finnan

King

Giggs

Roy Keane

Carrick

Defoe

Speaking of the *real* Lions, after watching the Bay of Plenty match yesterday, is anyone else really not optimistic for the New Zealand game? I think we're going to get absolutely murdered.

Edited by fineintent

If we are counting ROI players, I'd stick Duff in, and Given in goal. Other than that, I'd keep Beckham in instead of Wright-Phillips, and have Owen and Rooney up front. Giggs on the bench as well as Keane, and other than that, the general England side I guess.

Zat Knight on the bench as well >_>

EDIT: And yeah, I agree with you Intent, we'll probably get murdered.

Edited by kevinnashwannabe