UEFA to decide on Liverpools CL place today

MDK

They've already got a plan for this to happen, because if a fourth placed team wins the CL from a country that only has three qualifiers they go in automatically.  It's just this shitty rule that punishes countries that produce a high amount of quality teams (who boost up that countries' coefficiant rating so 4 teams can qualify) stating that a maximum of four teams can be entered into the CL.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the Spanish FA pretty much made the decision for themselves, whereas the English FA made a plea to UEFA to look at the rules and make an exception.

No they don't. But nothing really matters now, as apparently it was already decided. I also don't get it why Spain didn't have the same right a few years back as they were in the exact same situation, but meh. I just hope they don't change it again. At least from now on they should give the extra place to any country that wins the CL.

It's a bit unfair to say "it's a League of Champions, so why should a team that never mattered for the title this season be in it?" because, sure, Everton aren't the champions of anything - but neither are Arsenal or Man Utd. If you want to make it Champions exclusive then fine, but you can't say Everton shouldn't be in because they aren't the champions - but then want to allow the 2nd and 3rd placed teams in.

It's a bit unfair to say "it's a League of Champions, so why should a team that never mattered for the title this season be in it?" because, sure, Everton aren't the champions of anything - but neither are Arsenal or Man Utd.  If you want to make it Champions exclusive then fine, but you can't say Everton shouldn't be in because they aren't the champions - but then want to allow the 2nd and 3rd placed teams in.

I would rather see a champions ONLY league. What i meant to say in my previous post, was that knowing that it is really hard to do that nowadays, because of the money envolved, and power positions some clubs hold, i understand why there's the need of having more than 1 team from the wealthier leagues. This situation already helps the clubs from said leagues, who no longer need to win it to be in the european CL. I don't understand how some teams who were 4th (in this case Everton) could still complain of not being in it, as 1 - i don't see why the 4th placed team of ANY league should be in it, and 2 - it isn't written anywhere in the UEFA competitions rulebook that a 4th place team gets a spot in the CL.

I agree with you that Man Utd or Arsenal haven't won the League as well as Everton. What i was saying was just they were closer to it, and if there's the need of having more teams from the premiership (or spanish and italian leagues) getting CL places, at least those teams should have been closer to the title. I don't think of this as a good solution... My main intention with this observation was that the 4th placed team didn't have much to argue about if the FA had picked Liverpool instead of them. Cause at least Liverpool were the defending Champions.

Either way, as i said before, none of this matters now, as the decision was made.

Of course Everton would of had something to complain about if they weren't in it.  Everton, Liverpool and every other team in England at the beginning of this season was under the impression that the top 4 in the Premiership get Champions League places, and to take that away from Everton just because another team did well in a totally differant competition would not be fair at all.

Edited by Malenko

Guest Ringmaster

Personally, for some weird reason, I am really intrigued about how well Everton will do in the CL and how their rough style will go through. So I just want to see Everton in the CL to satisfy my own morbid curiosity.

But it isn't anything that's written anywhere. It could happen that Liverpool would win the CL, and therefore there was a chance only the first 3 teams would be in it.

It's the same that happens in most european national leagues in what concernes to the UEFA cup. For example, Spain, France and Portugal get 3 places in the UEFA Cup. Considering the first 4 in Spain, and the first 3 in Portugal and France go to the CL, it's predictable that from 5th to 8th in Spain, and from 4th to 7th in France and Portugal, all get UEFA cup spots. But when the team that wins the respective national cup didn't get a spot in the UEFA cup through league placing they go to the UEFA cup, and therefore take away the chance of the 8th in Spain, and 7th in both Portugal and France to go to the UEFA cup. They all start the season thinking that place should be enough to grant the spot, but in the end they don't go, because teams got a place through other competitions.

Edited by pigeon

I don't get it. Who did they replace?

I still think changing the rules after the tournament is over is a bit shitty. Why should the top four in the league have to take a lesser cut, when all they did was secure a place in the tournament?

I'd have had Liverpool face some team from wherever that are never going to win it for a place in the qualifying rounds. It may actually be more financially beneficial to have two games with Liverpool than however many with other shit teams that'll beat them. Then have them progress from there to see how far they'd get.

I'd mark like a bitch for Liverpool and Everton in the same group stage next season. B)

We didn't replace anyone. As title holders there is a place for us.

a) Fenerbahce, Champions of Turkey, move into the into the Group Stages.

b) Wisla Krakow, Champions of Poland move from QR2 to QR3

c) The Champions of Romania and Slovakia (yet to be determined) move from QR1 to QR2.

So we've been bumped back to the first qualifying round because UEFA didn't fix the problem in the rules years ago.

And people act like we've been done a favour. :wacko:

Edited by pigeon

We didn't replace anyone.  As title holders there is a place for us.

a) Fenerbahce, Champions of Turkey, move into the into the Group Stages.

b) Wisla Krakow, Champions of Poland move from QR2 to QR3

c) The Champions of Romania and Slovakia (yet to be determined) move from QR1 to QR2.

d) The

So we've been bumped back to the first qualifying round because UEFA didn't fix the problem in the rules years ago.

Edited by Malenko