Women Guitarist

Guest fultie

Guest fultie

So my niece is 6 years old.. and when she listens to rock and roll with me she loves it.. so I got her a mini guitar and set up appointments for lessons.. she went to about 3 of them and stopped going.. I think she stopped cause it's not "the cool" thing to do.. and that's what runs through the mind of a 6 year old these days.. and I was wondering if there's like any women guitarist anyone can recommend to me to burn on a CD for her.. I want to show her these girls are rockin out and are cool.. don't get me wrong, i'm not going to force it on her, if she won't do it, than that's that, but i don't want to give up on her musically.. i don't want her to become another braindead girl paying Britney Spears for being a slutty idol.. so, the bottom line, can anybody suggest some women guitar players?

Guest fultie

i did the search and found the thread you were talking about..

does Alicia Keyes have anything that's more like Ray Charlesish at all?

And Regina Spektor is a cool one too.. maybe i'll check out Tori Amos

but all those chicks are pianoists while i want a guitarist.. all the guitar chicks i've found are not really the type of music i think Cassie would like

Edited by fultie

Raining Jane, It's an all female group, it might work, it's hard to genre-fy so you'll have to listen for yourself, I don't know if you'll be able to find them so PM if you can't, I'll try to help.

Also, in the same vein as Joan Jett what about Pat Benatar, or does Stevie Nicks play the guitar ever?

5,6,7,8's - WooHoo

Bikini Kill - Rebel Girl

The Distillers - The Hunger

L7 - Pretend We're Dead

Le Tigre - TKO

Sleater-Kinney - Dig Me Out

Team Dresch - My Dirty Hands Are Mined

I had a few others, but not sure they would sit well with a six year old or their parents, and a few others wasn't sure about the gender of the guitarist.

Melissa Ethridge and Janis Joplin. Perfect examples.

There are female guitarists out there. And they kick ass. The only problem is that most of them are kinda' rebellious. And the 6-year-old mentality is generally to follow the group, especially girls. Unless she's a tomboy, chances are the best you'll get is to try and get her addicted to the piano so that she loves music.

Still, good luck either way.