Recommend me some bands/music

livid

Well I'm into a lot of stuff now, but I..

A) Want to broaden my horizons

B) need some new stuff

Some bands/artists I like:

Chevelle

Disturbed (obviously)

Godsmack

Mudvayne

Lamb of God

In Flames

A Perfect Circle

TOOL

Black Label Society

Kanye West

Tech N9ne

Eminem

Sorecommend away. I'm looking for anything that's good, as long as it's not indie, emo, or country.

earthtone9 - just different...alternative

Cephalic Carnage - death/doom/grind metal hybrid (sounds weird, but excellent)

Opeth - ok, I guess you'd listen to them, but just in case!

Emperor - best Black Metal band (if you wanna go heavier)

Jeff Buckley - singer/songwriter (ok, I throw this in based purely on you wanting to try different stuff)

I'll have a think some more, and come back with some more stuff.

Avenged Sevenfold - hardcore punk/metal hybrid type music genre thing-ama-jig.... Try anything from the second album "Waking the Fallen" because that is by far their best work.

A few songs....

Second Heartbeat

Chapter Four

And All Things End

Radiant Eclipse

Unholy Confessions

We Come Out At night

Clairvoyant Disease

And I always suggest Killswitch Engage, 36 Crazyfists, and Death By Stereo. And Anti-Flag if you're looking for punk.

Edited by Enter Blue Guy

Radiohead and Porcupine Tree are similar to TOOL/Perfect Circle.

I wouldn't say similar, just that they have elements of the other bands. To the layman, they possibly wouldn't see the musical link between the bands, as its not exactly obvious. But both are good recommendations, especially Radiohead, who I love.

Try both Satyricon and Dissection if you want to get some Black metal. Them, or Emperor's In The Nightside Eclipse album.

Check out Death, especially the albums Human and Symbolic. Death metal at its best, without a doubt.

If you want some cheesy power metal, look into Sonata Arctica and Rhapsody. In the case of Rhapsody, stay away if you dislike fantasy related lyrics (see: Dargor, Shadowlord of the Black Mountain).

City of Caterpillar, Page Ninetynine (or Pg. 99), and Majority Rule are all great post hardcore/punk/screamo bands. And no, not screamo as in Thursday, but screamo as in all Level Plane artists.

Then finally, for some Doom metal, check out Mar De Grises, Whispering Gallery, Novembers Doom, My Dying Bride, and The Sins Of Thy Beloved.

Edited by Bas

Fall Out Boy, Tiger Army, The Unseen, My Chemcial Romance and Tsunami Bomb are some bands that are on heavy rotation on my playlist right now.

The Matches are a real good band that I've recently discovered.

And of course bands like Alkaline Trio, Dropkick Murphys, The Get Up Kids, MxPx and The Mars Volta are always good.

Soundgarden, maybe? You'd probably like their earlier material better, from before they sort of... evolved into the band that went on to do "Black Hole Sun". They were a bit more heavy then, and you seem into that. I suppose stuff from the "Screaming Life/FOPP" EP, "Louder than Love," and "Ultramega OK" would be good. But yeah, any of their work is excellent. As is... well, anything Chris Cornell's ever been involved in, IMO. >_>

I imagine that, if you're a fan of Godsmack, Grunge music is right up your alley. Particularly Alice in Chains. Godsmack is such an Alice rip-off, I swear it.

Guest Josef Stallion

Slayer

Cannibal Corpse(really disgusting though)

Black Label Society

Lamb of God

Shadows Fall

Children of Bodom

Some rap:

Canibus

Chino XL

Big Pun

Big L

Makaveli(a must)

Immortal Technique

Nas(a must)

If you want something a bit different:

The Arcade Fire

Jeff Buckley

Porcupine Tree

The Mars Volta

Get some My Chemical Romance and some Fantomas (I can't speak for all of their stuff, but the few tracks I've heard were pretty heavy, if I remember right, but with softer parts).

Alexisonfire - No Transitory

Death From Above 1979 - Blood On Your Hands.

Dillinger Escape Plan - Three For Flinching.

The Peepshows - Genius. .

Turbonegro - Turbonegro Must Be Destroyed.

Radiohead and Porcupine Tree are similar to TOOL/Perfect Circle.

Porcupine Tree combines metal, funk, jazz and all that good stuff. Tool & A Perfect Circle, don't. I'm sorry.

(Y)

He probably means they are similar in so far as the progressive nature of Tool and Porcupine Tree's music.

Plus, what I've heard of Porcupine Tree still hasn't ranked them anywhere near as good as Opeth/Tool in my eyes, who both do the Progressive Metal/Alternative thing a lot better, as do Green Carnation.

EDIT: Can't believe I forgot to pimp them both, but Amplifier and Ephel Duath are both well worth checking out. Amplifier are kinda like a less ballsy, proggier Monster Magnet (who you should also check out), and Ephel Duath are the strange genre of Mathcore/Math Metal, but with Jazz and Death Metal influences.

Edited by kevinnashwannabe