Nike steals artwork from Minor Threat

Lint

Nike stole the artwork for the Minor Threat demo/complete discography album for their "Major Threat" tour...

the Minor Threat artwork...

012.jpg

And the Nike ad...

major_threat_bg_v2.gif

Update: We asked attorney and pastepunk.com editor Jordan Baker if he could give us some of his insight into the situation. Jordan had this to say:

Among the intellectual property rights that are at issue I think it's very clear that Nike has made a derivative work out of Minor Threat's copyright in its cover art. Nike might argue that this is a parody, but I fail to see what kind of social commentary Nike is trying to make in its graphic in relation to the original Minor Threat art, and generally parody is no defense for this kind of commercial appropriation.

That was posted Punknews.org under the news part of this story..the parody argument might not apply after all

Or it's all a work for more people to know about them? [/conspiracy theorist]

Seriously, they're just gonna get some money from it, so it's not that big of a deal. It's not like Nike kills people for artwork anyways.

Seriously, they're just gonna get some money from it, so it's not that big of a deal. It's not like Nike kills people for artwork anyways.

Perhaps they do! Perhaps THAT'S how they got the rights to the artwork....by fighting all of Minor Threat in a SHALABRITY DEATHMATCH!!! involving forks, pigeons and a small, rare vole!

Or maybe you're right, and they don't...

I always though the "We Are Not Alone" cover for Breaking Benjamin and the cover for "Second Sight" the game by Codemasters, were the same - I never saw them together but whenever I see the WANA box and the Second Sight box I think they're the same.

What did this add to this thread - nothing? yup.

Nobody actually cares about the posters.

Pitchforkmedia had it in their news section and it is if I recall, the third or fourth most visited music site on the Net. Also, the fact a law suit has been arosed means that their is some basis of care in the case. And considering punk rock fans can be VERY dedicated people, I am sure a few people do care.

And yes, I know I was replying to a comment based upon a rheotical question, but I figured I'd reply to your post due to the high levels of irony.