CD's You Can't Wait For

Big Tuna

I fucking love Pennywise, but From The Ashes is one of the worst CD's i've ever heard. Waiting is the only song worth shit off of it. The Fuse is a great improvement from first impressions though. And having seen them live i'm super psyched to get it.

I feel From The Ashes is worth about the same as Land of The Free (maybe a little less). The only Pennywise album i didn't like much was A Word From The Wise which had the only Pennywise song ever i can say without a doubt i dislike in "Maybes". On the From The Ashes album there's only one song i found a little weird at first which was "Look who you are" but after listening to it with more "attention" i think it's great. The lyrics on that song are the best on the album and it blends with the music so well... I just love it now. My Pennywise preference lists goes something like this now: About Time > Full Circle > Unknown Road > Straight Ahead > Land of the Free > From The Ashes > Pennywise > A word from the Wise. It may be very down the list but as i said i love almost every album by them.

If i didn't love them from the albums i wouldn't love them based on their live performances either. I've seen them twice. One of them was great because it was the first time i was saying them, but the show was really great mostly because of Ignite who have also played that show along with Snuff and Venerea. The second time they weren't good at all to be honest. The show was still great because it had great shows by Catch 22 and Sick Of It All, as well as others by BoySetsFire and someone else i'm forgetting now. They are usually "beat" live by those opening for them, and that's not a good thing.

Edited by Funk Odyssey

My favourite albums so far this year have been Audioslave's "Out Of Exile" and Trivium's "Ascendancy". NIN's "With Teeth" was a bit of a letdown, and SOAD's "Mesmerize" was good, but nowhere near as good as some people proclaim it to be IMO. Also, Cephalic Carnage "Anomalies" was an awesome release.

I'm looking forward to new Tool (which is apparently out late in the year)....other then that, I dunno really. Not paid attention to release dates, so not sure what to expect.

Guest EWRLoyalist

I'm also looking forward to the new Tool album. Albums I've enjoyed this year are The Mars Volta's "Frances The Mute" and NIN's "With Teeth".

07 Jul 05

TOOL

Across the vast gulfs of cyberspace it tumbled, one of several dozens just like it on any given day, arriving in my mailbox on July 6th at precisely 11:55 PM.

SUBJECT: QUESTION

“I know that you probably get this all the time but is Tool coming out with a new CD some time?..”

YES … but for various reasons the album is being recorded in relative secrecy… I would say even more so than past recording sessions and related TOOL projects. Since this is the band’s decision and, ultimately, they are the ones in charge of the website (as well as being some of my closest friends), I am not going to betray their trust (although I can’t resist hiding a few things amid seemingly unrelated posts), even though I am painfully… painfully... painfully aware that there are some Tool enthusiasts out there who seem to need this info, not unlike some junkies need a heroin fix. That said, when members of the band and/or their manager decide to release certain details pertaining to the recording process ••• – •• – – • – – , as well as any projected time-tables, etc., it will most certainly be posted on the band’s official website. To think otherwise is, quite frankly, absurd! This could be tomorrow, or two days from now, or in a couple of weeks or even a month from now. At this stage, I honestly don’t know. But what I do know is that the members of the band are working hard and, as the saying goes, there is light at the end of the tunnel. I hope this answers your question.

Guest Booker T & The MG's

My 2 favourite releases of the year so far:-

Jimmy Chamberlin Complex - Life Begins Again

Smashing Pumpkins drummer Jimmy Chamberlin's solo project. A fusion of Chamberlin's Jazz & Pumpkins background. He blends the two of them brilliantly and it's a great listen, alternates between Insturmental and Vocal tracks, with the Instrumentals being the highlight for me. I was gutted when he pulled out of T In The Park

Kraftwerk - Minimum Maximum

This will go down as one of the greatest live albums ever, tracks like The Robots, Numbers and Radioactivity have enhanced and digitally ripped more so than any previous reworkings. It's shown how relevant there work from 25 years ago and indeed from recent years is, and how it still has'nt been topped, it's also edited to perfection. It really builds the anticipation for the DVD in September.

I'm going to pick up SOAD & Billy Corgan's album very soon and Jean Michel Jarre's new live CD/DVD. Bloc Party's album was very good a grower but it isn't a standout release, Idlewild's album fits into that bracket also and the only other new release I bought was NIN's "With Teeth" which is average.

I just got a few new 2005 albums from a torrent site last night, so I have a new Top 10 list now. I bought Dredg's album, it was that good.

01. "Catch Without Arms" by Dredg

02. "Frances The Mute" by The Mars Volta

03. "Doomsday Machine" by Arch Enemy

04. "With Teeth" by Nine Inch Nails

05. "Get Behind Me Satan" by The White Stripes

06. "An Answer Can Be Found" by CKY

07. "Bleed Like Me" by Garbage

08. "Robot Hive / Exodus" by Clutch

09. "The Future Embrace" by Billy Corgan

10. "A Beautiful Lie" by 30 Seconds To Mars

Honorable Mention: "S/T" by Clap Your Hands Say Yeah!, "Mesmerize" by System Of A Down, "Duality" by Ra

Definitely waiting for the new Justin Timberlake album.

Apparently Alexisonfire and Moneen are releasing a split where they cover each other's songs. Moneen covers Accidents and Sharks and Danger [my favorite Alexisonfire song]. Good stuff.

Buck 65 has a new track out ... a break from the ordinary from his country meet's turn tables... or better yet, Johnny Cash becomes gangster. The new disc should be great.

the Transplants new CD is decent. I like a few of the songs, but there are A LOT of HORRIBLE songs on the CD. Gangsters and Thugs totally grew on me, but tracks like Not Today & American Guns make the CD worth the price.

I wanna pick up the new Corgan, but with news of the Pumpkins reforming, I should just wait for the new Pumpkins CD or live show.

I am looking forward to:

System of a Down - Hypnotize

Looks very promising from the live versions of "Kill Your Rock and Roll" and "Holy Mountain", has a lot of potential to carry on from where Mezmerize left off.

Sevendust - Next

I need to hear "Pieces" desperatly, but I love everything else Sevendust has produced to this point so it's looking good in my eyes.

Ill Nino - One Nation Underground

With all the shit around Marc Rizzo at the moment this album has gone down in my estimations, which is bad. I still hope though it's gonna kick some major backside when released.

Chimaira - Chimaira

I haven't got into their new stuff as much as I thought I would, but I'm still excited by this release.

Soulfly - Dark Ages

Soulfly haven't dissapointed me yet, each album is good to me so I have high hopes for this.

I decided to bump this for the whole reason o new Dream Theater shit (Which I presume some people may have overlooked). That is all. Can't believe I forgot about it. I was super psyched at the beginning of the year.

Top 10 cd's of this year (for me)

1. Dream Theater - Octavarium

2. CKY - An Answer Can Be Found

3. James Labrie - Elements of Persuasion

4. John Petrucci - Suspended animation

5. Frameshift - An Absence of Apathy

6. The Mars Volta - Frances the Mute

7. Fozzy - All that Remains

8. Black Label Society - Mafia

9. Porcupine Tree - Deadwing

10. Jesu - self titled

What I'm looking forward to: