FIFA LA RAZA!

These rankings (just released) take into account the 2005 Confederations Cup and some World Cup qualifiers. They will be used in part (I believe) to determine the seeding for the 2006 World Cup in Germany. Below is a reprint of the FIFA Top 25.

Rank Team (Prev) Pts

1. Brazil (1), 846

2. Argentina (3), 787

3. Holland (4), 781

4. Czech Republic (2), 778

5. Mexico (6), 768

6. United States (10), 765

7. France (5), 749

8. England (7), 744

8. Spain (9), 744

10. Portugal (8), 739

11. Germany (21), 723

12. Turkey (14), 716

13. Japan (18), 715

14. Italy (11), 713

15. Iran (17), 711

15. Ireland (15), 711

17. Sweden (12), 710

18. Uruguay (18), 703

19. Denmark (16), 698

19. Greece (13), 698

21. South Korea (20), 696

22. Croatia (22), 695

23. Costa Rica (24), 691

24. Poland (23), 689

25. Colombia (25), 683

Dropped out: None.

Within 10% of #25: Egypt, Cameroon, Saudi Arabia, Nigeria, Russia, Romania, Tunisia, Ecuador, Paraguay, Morocco, Norway, Ukraine, South Africa, Honduras, Senegal, Jamaica, Switzerland, Finland, Côte d'Ivoire.

Notes:

Obviously their third-place showing at the Confed Cup helped Germany as they are the big movers this month... Mexico and the USA are running away with CONCACAF's "hexagonal", achieving an unbeaten (7W1D0L) record against the other four teams... The Czech's place near the top appears to be slipping as they might miss out on their fourth straight World Cup... Japan and Iran receive major boosts for punching their ticket to Germany 06 with a game to spare... Honduras climbed 11 spots and might steal a place in Germany yet... Greece tumbled from 720 points to 698, the biggest point drop this month in the top 50... The biggest leap was by Panama (#98 -> #83), while the biggest fall was by DR Congo (#68 -> #78).

As always, there is likely no relevance to this other than both neighbours on either side of the pond can laugh at the Italians. Which, really, isn't a bad thing, right?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Pirate Chasin' Booty

They need to find a new method of ranking teams, because this one is shit, USA 7th in the world? Mexico 5th? Iran 15th?

Yeah, its all bollocks.

Huzzah, Finland are in the top million footballing nations somewhere, nice to know :P

Also, how are the Czech's so high in the first place? Have they actually done anything worthwhile since almost beating Germany at Euro '96? Or are they one of those nations that used to win loads before I was born, and now suck?

Also, how are the Czech's so high in the first place? Have they actually done anything worthwhile since almost beating Germany at Euro '96?

I can't remember how they work out the placings, but I recall it being a complete bullshit way. I think, don't quote me on that :P

But yeah, USA above Germany, England, France and Spain? What an unfunny joke.

Guest LucaIII

The Big Floor in the ranking systems is it depends heavily on the Qualifiers of the various competitions so obvious the likes of USA and Mexico will get high points as they have to qualify against the other central American nations therefore it is easier for them to get points where as in europe and S. America it is harder. Also it goes on past World Cup and seeing due to lack of competetion that the likes of US, Mexico, Iran, Australia and Japan have qualified nearly ever year they have competed if a big team fails to qualify (e.g Eng 94, Holland 02) or under acheives (Spain/Italy) it hurts them far more. It is showed as you have to go along way back to see Mexico outside the top 10.

Dukes.Honduras was eliminated from the hexagonal in the past round,so there is no way that they will be in Germany, Honduras is winning points in the Gold Cup(Concacaf major tournament), also United States is doing the same,like someone said before the points are given by win of a game and in Concacaf that's easy for Mexico and

USA.

Exactly, just because the USA can beat Haiti and the Dominican Republic, doesn't mean they're in the top teams in the world, I'd much rather have some guy decide the rankings system in regard to performance aswell as his own personal opinion.

I'd put England in the top 5 somewhere. The only reason these teams are up there is because they can beat Hiati or whatever they're called in a friendly.

They should just reset these ranking and start again at the next world cup.

Drop Sven, get Lineker, thats all I need to say.

I like the first part :P

Don't care who takes over, but get rid of that piece of shite Swede. He's a waste of space, and I swear he has no idea what he's doing half the time. He doesn't seem to care about England and is only there for the money.

Lineker would certainly be a change, and I wouldn't mind him to be honest, but he doesn't have ANY managerial experience does he?