Brit Rock Revolution?

Last week, I bought the NME Originals book about Britpop, seeing as it was right about the time I was growing up and it got me thinking. The rise of Blur, Oasis, The Verve, Pulp, Suede etc. was a great time for British music and it got me thinking. Is the recent Franz Ferdinand, Kaiser Chiefs, Bloc Party, Keane etc. popularity a new Brit Rock revolution. I mean, Hard-Fi got a Number 6 single, Oasis have had 2 number ones, Razorlight stole the show at Live 8, Pete Doherty is making the news and Franz Ferdinand and the Kaiser Chiefs are about to take over the damn world.

Is this 1993-98 repeating itself all over again? Will The Futureheads be selling out Knebworth in 3 years? Will the Arctic Monkeys debut album outsell Eminem? Do you guys think there's a new revolution in British Music today?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

British music has been consistently at the heart of every emerging trend in rock music, with the possible exception of nu-metal in the late 90s. This isn't really anything new, but it's hard to really argue that these bands have the same cross-over appeal that bands like Blur or Oasis had. The only bands that have really found significant success across the pond in recent years are Coldplay and the Gorillaz, and perhaps the Darkness, although with only one album released, it's hard to tell whether they will have any staying power.

Maybe I'm just biased but I thought Razorlight were great. Different Strokes, I guess.

Oh, and I can listen to "Stars of CCTV" more than I can "Definitely Maybe" or "Parklife"

Razorlight had a chance to make something special happen (and I was willing them on), and they failed.

And "Definitely Maybe", "Different Class" and "Parklife", to name but a few, will be bigger for longer than "Stars of CCTV" will be, I can guarantee that.

Razorlight have one good song.

Franz Ferdinand have a couple good songs.

The Libertines have decent music with shit vocalist.

Kaiser Chiefs need Tazered.

Bloc Party are fairly decent.

Keane suck ass.

In short, no. It's an acquired taste if you ask me, something my sister has - which I guess is a step up from Take That and Westlife, which she liked up until about 3 years ago. So when she turned 18.

Me? I prefer A Wilhelm Scream (I love YI :wub:)

EDIT: As for the Darkness I'd forgotten all about them, which was good. Then you brought them up, which was bad.

Edited by IAceI

Almost all of these new bands are over-rated steaming piles of shit.

The Subways (who are so fucking unoriginal) and getting in on it.

And what fucks me off the most is the fans of this weak 'new age' BritRock. Even worse are fans who have their own bands and completely copy their 'idols'.

Yeah, I've had a bad experience with twats like that. <_<

EDIT: Ace knows his business, despite being too young for rock and roll. (¬_¬)

Edited by The Kraig

I don't think there's any "Revolution" happening any time soon. Having the Internet and a wide range of music channels means that the general public are being exposed to a lot more music than they were ten years ago, and as such there's no one world-straddling band that defines the time, or one genre that's skyrocketing, everything's pretty much on a level. And I much prefer it that way.

For England to take My Chemical Romance with them is to say that England is reponsible for the fairly large amount of pop punk with whiny shitty lyircs trend that is sweeping America.

Over here what we get is a fairly large amount of bands who simply jump on the indie band wagon and start imitating anything that they like.

Honestly if it wasn't for here I doubt I would have heard about Kaiser Chiefs or any other of those British bands except Franz Ferdinand and Coldplay.

Oddly enough though Britpop has seemed to have a semi re-birth over here as almost everytime I work I hear "Wonderwall", "Lyla" or "Champagne Supernova" on the radio and even the odd The Verve song. Coldplay is pretty much the only other British band to make it over here in the last little while.

Honestly if it wasn't for here I doubt I would have heard about Kaiser Chiefs or any other of those British bands except Franz Ferdinand and Coldplay.

Oddly enough though Britpop has seemed to have a semi re-birth over here as almost everytime I work I hear "Wonderwall", "Lyla" or "Champagne Supernova" on the radio and even the odd The Verve song. Coldplay is pretty much the only other British band to make it over here in the last little while.

Coldplay? Really? You lot must suck. :P

Coldplay? Really? You lot must suck. :P

I must admit, I didn't find Razorlight's Live 8 performance all that great, but their album is truly phenomenal. Granted there's only a few GREAT songs, but it's really solid overall. They're very clever in the build up of their songs, kind of like Oasis used to be in the early days. Plus the singer has got an amazing voice.

Keane, I wasn't a fan at first. However when I actually sat down and listened to them they're good. The pianist is talented, I dig the vocals even with the plums in mouth vibe they give. They're not promising anything overly extrevert, but what they do give is numerous easy to listen to and catchy songs. And at the end of the day, if it's not nice to listen too, who will listen to it? They're good at what they do. It's just the cool thing to hate them. Mainly due to the reason they were packaged. They were thrust onto TV with the whole indie rock vibe along with Franz Ferdinand, The Killers, Kasabian (Fuck off an die) and Razorlight, however the term 'rock' should not be used anywhere near their music. I guess they write ballads, but bloody good ones. So they became the runt of this indie rock litter as they didn't conform with the other bands, so ultimately they were turned on. I caught one of their live shows on VH2 the other night. And I was really impressed. The crowd were so into it. The noise they made singing during "Somewhere Only We Know" was like something you expect during the 'legendary' songs like Angels (Robbie Williams), Hey Jude (McCartney) and every other Queen song ever written.

Franz Ferdinand's new song is fucking horrible.

I'm not a big fan of Kasabian, but I do like Reason for Treason and "Hopes and Fears" by Keane is fantastic easy listening.

Coldplay for me are massively overrated. Their songs are just so boring and I hate Martin's voice for some reason. "X and Y" to me sounds like an Arena Rock band.

Now, the Arctic Monkeys are going to be huge. Has anyone heard anything by them, and if so, do you agree?