Brit Rock Revolution?

I liked the Nine Black Alps 'I'm Satisfied' song, but it dragged on a lot.

And for some reason I like that Hard-Fi song, even if it is aimed at the alcoholic slag population of Britain.

Need to investigate them more, make sure they're not shit before I say I like them though. <_<

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it's all very samey and very drab.

I love that excuse......basically, any music genre someone isn't into, it "all sounds the same". Arguably, Emo all sounds the same, Death Metal sounds the same, Rap sounds the same........unless you are actually into the genre, in which case you pick up the band nuances, and you see there are a lot of differences between artists in the genres. I like some indie, and a lot of the bands sound nothing alike (same with the other 3 genres I used as examples....).

And you obviously are listening to the wrong indie if you find it drab. Check out some Death From Above, they are pretty good.

I love that excuse......basically, any music genre someone isn't into, it "all sounds the same". Arguably, Emo all sounds the same, Death Metal sounds the same, Rap sounds the same........unless you are actually into the genre, in which case you pick up the band nuances, and you see there are a lot of differences between artists in the genres. I like some indie, and a lot of the bands sound nothing alike (same with the other 3 genres I used as examples....).

And you obviously are listening to the wrong indie if you find it drab. Check out some Death From Above, they are pretty good.

I hear a lot of indie, I am at Uni after all. Some indie is alright, but a lot of it is very samey. Stop assuming that because someone has a differing point of view that they obviously don't know what they're talking about. I accept that some empo tends to sound similar, but I find that a lot more indie stuff sounds similar (I'm talking about particular bands' stuff sounding the same, not the genre as a whole, by the way). There's nothing wrong with having a unique sound, but there's a difference between your own sound and every song being virtually a carbon copy of the previous one.

But, as much as I think it's stupid to say "emo sounds the same", I think its stupid to sound "indie sounds the same". When you are more into a genre, you are obviously more likely to know stuff about the bands you like, and what makes them different from others. Considering I like both genres about the same, I'd arguably say there are many more emo bands that sound generic than Indie bands, but thats my opinion, and obviously others will differ.

All I'm saying is the "most of (genre x) sound the same" seems pointless to me, as a lot of bands in genres do sound similar (which is why genres are around, as it places bands that sound similar with each other....)..and you are only going to notice the nuances if you give said genres a chance.

The fact that you rip on indie a lot, it seems, at times, gives me the idea you don't. If I'm wrong, then it's the vibe you give out...

Edited by rvdwannabe

Like I said, I'm on about individual bands sounding the same, not the bands in a genre as a whole. That's why genres exist, as you said.

And just because I don't particualrly like indie music, doesn't mean I don't hear a lot of it through friends, relatives and the like. I can appreciate some of it, but a lot of it is garbage.

What I REALLY hate is this new wave of psuedo-indie-emo guys whinging on the pop stations, pretentious fucks like that James Blount or whatever his name is ("Waaah, you're beautiful...saw you on a train" that guy >_>)

Like I said, I'm on about individual bands sounding the same, not the bands in a genre as a whole. That's why genres exist, as you said.

And just because I don't particualrly like indie music, doesn't mean I don't hear a lot of it through friends, relatives and the like. I can appreciate some of it, but a lot of it is garbage.

What I REALLY hate is this new wave of psuedo-indie-emo guys whinging on the pop stations, pretentious fucks like that James Blount or whatever his name is ("Waaah, you're beautiful...saw you on a train" that guy >_>)

Admittedly, a lot of most genres is garbage. These days, you have to wade through 10 shit bands for every good band you find in a genre.

And I like James Blunt....he's more adult contemporary than anything, having got his album....>_>

Never heard of Robert Post, Daniel Powter is shit, but yeah, James Blunt reminds me of a slightlt poppier David Gray type, so hush :P

Speaking of that, his new album is out soon (DG, that is).....BOOYEAH, I'm so tr00

Edited by YI

Never heard of Robert Post, Daniel Powter is shit, but yeah, James Blunt reminds me of a slightlt poppier David Gray type, so hush :P

Speaking of that, his new album is out soon (DG, that is).....BOOYEAH, I'm so tr00

I can't stand James Blunt. It's his voice, I just can't listen to him for any length of time. It's not that it's high, it sounds as if he's straining all the time, and it seems awfully weak. He's not that great of a vocalist in my oppinion. David Gray however is fucking awesemo. Nice to know a new album is on its way.

I can understand why people dislike James Blunt, but yeah, his album is ok, nothing special. A few good songs, a bit of filler.

And the David Gray one is apparently the third biggest UK industry based release behind Oasis and Coldplay, or something. Q loved it, so I hope it is pretty good.

I, also, can't wait for David Grey's album but I'm a fan of James Blunt's album.

You're Beautiful is annoying as shit but Goodbye My Lover is a good track, same with Tears and Rain.

Tears And Pain :P

I also like Wisemen.

I also don't think YI's comment was aimed at you, Dragsy...

Last week, I bought the NME Originals book about Britpop, seeing as it was right about the time I was growing up and it got me thinking. The rise of Blur, Oasis, The Verve, Pulp, Suede etc. was a great time for British music and it got me thinking. Is the recent Franz Ferdinand, Kaiser Chiefs, Bloc Party, Keane etc. popularity a new Brit Rock revolution. I mean, Hard-Fi got a Number 6 single, Oasis have had 2 number ones, Razorlight stole the show at Live 8, Pete Doherty is making the news and Franz Ferdinand and the Kaiser Chiefs are about to take over the damn world.

Is this 1993-98 repeating itself all over again? Will The Futureheads be selling out Knebworth in 3 years? Will the Arctic Monkeys debut album outsell Eminem? Do you guys think there's a new revolution in British Music today?

Edited by Colly

On the subject of James Blunt, I vehemently dislike him. His middle-of-the-road tripe is churned out in shops everywhere, so he's fairly unavoidable too.

I hate hearing people say how he's an amazing songwriter...it's just "I saw a woman, she was beautiful"...yeah, really fucking deep and inventive there.

Having been a very happy teenager during the original Cool Britannia era, which HAS to include Prodigy and Underworld alongside the Blur, Oasis, Pulp triangle (with Supergrass, Space etc alongside them) this has been the first year of music I've been excited about for a while....

Or at least I was in December/January.

But nothing's happened in the last five months.

Coldplay ARE a very good band, and their new single "Fix You" is fantastic.

Snow Patrol are solid.

Kaiser Chiefs are full of energy, with a cheeky sing-along vibe.

Futureheads for me are the best, strong accents, half-speaking some lines, yet kinda no-nonsense.

I'd also fallen into the whole Razorlight / Killers / The Bravery thing earlier in the year but I've come out the other side and headed back to my electro, Radiohead and Pulp...

Having been a very happy teenager during the original Cool Britannia era, which HAS to include Prodigy and Underworld alongside the Blur, Oasis, Pulp triangle (with Supergrass, Space etc alongside them) this has been the first year of music I've been excited about for a while....