Give me some good live comedy stuff!

Asuka's Gonna Kill You

I'm surprised nobody mentioned George Carlin yet. That guy is a comedic genius, but stick with his newer stuff. Look for his albums "You're All Diseased" and "Complaints and Grievances".

And if you're looking for black comedy, I found myself getting a real kick out of Bruce Bruce. He's been on BET before, but his tape is worth renting.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ross Noble at Reagent Park wasn't anything much to be honest.

I just picked up Lee Evans 5 Set Box Set which is very good, i've seen most of them anyways I think but it's great so far. Also very good is Bill Bailey, I've seen his Part Troll which was very funny.

Also I remember Alan Davies done stand up, i saw a bit of it, not all of it but I laughed quite a bit but that was it - i didn't catch its name or see anymore. But having Bill Bailey and Alan Davies on QI is great - when is it on? Is it still even on? I know they were gonna have like 26 series but I've only ever seen stuff from series 1 (letter A) and bits of series 2 (letter B)

To be fair, Ross Noble At Regent's Park was nothing compared to some of the other stuff he's done. I'm a huge fan, and I found it quite weak in places.

EDIT - Another comedian I've always liked was Rich Hall. He was a regular guest on Have I Got News For You and was always really funny. Has anyone seen any of his live stuff?

I've only ever seen his in-character live material, as Otis Lee Crenshaw. It's fairly good, but it's a very different style to how he comes across on programs like Have I Got News For You. I don't know if he does stand-up just as Rich Hall, but if he does I'd quite like to see some, as judging from guest appearances he's quite one-liner based, and he has a much more "British" sense of humour than most American comedians.

Edited by Skumfrog

It's strange that a number of people found the Regent's Park gig slightly weak. Personally, I think Regent's Park is far better than the first disc on the DVD. On the first disc, the show seemed to go through really slow parts and then be incredibly funny for a while. It just seemed to go that way during the whole show. Each to their own, I suppose.

Still though, nothing can beat seeing him live. The way he interacts with the crowd, moves on and then comes back to everyone is absolutely great. When I saw him last month, he was talking about the new Pope

"I'm not saying he's a Nazi because he's German, I'm saying he's a Nazi because he is"

Rich Hall is amazingly funny too. Again, I've only seen him do Otis Lee Crenshaw stuff live, but he writes books too. 'Things Snowball' - I might be wrong on the title - but that's a fucking amazing book. Every page made me laugh.

Jack Dee is funny too.

Also, there's an Iranian guy...second name Djalili I think? He's fucking balls-out funny. Try something by him.

I saw that Iranian guy on the Jack Dee at the Apollo. He spoke about something bad then said

"Now let's change the subject to talk about something on a brighter note, Al'Queda"

Jack Dee is a legend as well though, as is Jimmy Carr. I've seen some of Carr in stand up but I love his column in Zoo. Brilliant

Jimmy Carr's moderately funny, but you only need to see one of his shows, he's a real one-trick pony.

Doesn't help that Channel 4 seems to have saturated him so much with their "New show? Needs more Jimmy Carr!" mentality, but some of his stand-up's worth a look in.

To be fair, Ross Noble At Regent's Park was nothing compared to some of the other stuff he's done. I'm a huge fan, and I found it quite weak in places.

EDIT - Another comedian I've always liked was Rich Hall. He was a regular guest on Have I Got News For You and was always really funny. Has anyone seen any of his live stuff?

I've only ever seen his in-character live material, as Otis Lee Crenshaw. It's fairly good, but it's a very different style to how he comes across on programs like Have I Got News For You. I don't know if he does stand-up just as Rich Hall, but if he does I'd quite like to see some, as judging from guest appearances he's quite one-liner based, and he has a much more "British" sense of humour than most American comedians.

Jimmy Carr's moderately funny, but you only need to see one of his shows, he's a real one-trick pony.

Doesn't help that Channel 4 seems to have saturated him so much with their "New show? Needs more Jimmy Carr!" mentality, but some of his stand-up's worth a look in.

Personally, you need to listen to his radio show to see how funny he is. His stand ups are all the same, but on the radio, he shows he is naturally funny.