Cover songs

The Third Dukes

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Add Gene Simmons - "Firestarter" to the list of heinously bad covers.

Eugh, I saw that on Scuzz this morning for the first time and was just about to say it aswell.

It's horrible.

Precisely, I saw it on Scuzz this morning too...I'd heard of it, but all knowledge had pretty much been wiped from my mind, and I happened across it whilst channel-hopping, and I had to sit through the whole thing to find out who it was so that I could post it here. It was shite.

Purple Haze by Six Feet Under, enough said.....Covering a Hendrix song is like a crime.

And, while we're at it, Stevie Ray Vaughan's cover of "Voodoo Child."

Die.

Gotta agree with everyone mentioning "Turn the Page". Awesome pair of songs.

I haven't seen it mentioned in a while, if at all, but "All Along the Watchtower" by Bob Dylan, then Jimi Hendrix. Imagine that mash.

Oh, and for a guilty pleasure... "Our Lips are Sealed". Screw it, I have a crush on Haylie Duff. And the Go-Gos' version was nice too.

2. Neil Diamond, then some techno DJ - "Sweet Caroline"

I don't know if anyone here has heard the techno version. But yeah, someone really shouldn't have touched this song. This one is so horrible, I'll kill someone if I hear that techno remake again.

Then again, techno butchers so many classic songs. 70s and 80s.

At least it was a shite song to begin with.

Not denying that. Then again, we in Red Sox Nation tend to like this song. Especially with taunting Mariano Rivera every time he comes into a game at Fenway Park. Otherwise, yeah, it would suck.

Oh, and there was a punk cover to Peter Cetera's "Glory of Love" that somehow was worse than the original. Ouch.

I'd like to hear a mash-up of Tears For Fears and Disturbed's versions of Shout, or A Flock of Seagulls and Bowling For Soup's versions of I Ran.

Best covers:

Fear Factory - Cars (Gary Numan)

Ozzy Osbourne and Coal Chamber - Shock the Monkey (Peter Gabriel)

Bowling For Soup - I Ran (A Flock of Seagulls) (They also did a good cover of Britney Spears' Hit Me Baby One More Time)

Marilyn Manson - Sweet Dreams (Eurythmics)

Tom Jones & Art of Noise - Kiss (Prince)

Metallica - Turn The Page (Bob Segar)

Metallica - Whiskey In The Jar (Roger Whittaker, as far as I know of. His version is the one I'm most familiar with, because I had to put up with listening to him when I was a kid because my parents were fans)

Elton John - The Show Must Go On (Queen) *

Garth Brooks did a pretty good version of Hard Luck Woman for a KISS tribute album a long time ago, and even actually performed it with them on The Tonight Show. It was an interesting visual with Garth up there on stage with a cowboy hat and one of those shirts he wears, backed up by KISS who were in full make-up. (I SOOOOO wish I had a clip of that)

I've also heard a version of True done by someone other than Spandau Ballet, but I don't know who it was (it was a solo singer, and was slower and mellower - sounded like Paul Anka or one of those types), or which version was the original. If the SB version is a cover, then you can add it to my list. If the other version was the cover, DON'T add it. The SB version is a lot better, and the two versions wouldn't make a decent mash-up.

Worst covers:

Britney Spears - ANY cover she has done (or ever will do, if her career isn't over) automatically qualifies, but she should have been shot for her version of Satisfaction.

And Mariah Carey needs to be shot alongside her for her version of Def Leppard's Bringin' On The Heartbreak. I bet Steve Clarke was spinning in his grave when that was released, and Dave Navarro lost cool points with me for playing on that godawful song.

Marilyn Manson's version of Tainted Love is bad, but not one of the worst covers I've ever heard. Its listenable, but not great.

I used to like 311's version of Love Song, but not as much as the original version. Then I realized that it lacks the emotional punch of the original version. I'd almost like to hear a mash-up of it just to show how superior the Cure's version is.

Funniest covers:

I've heard a version of Gin & Juice that's....interesting. It was supposedly by Phish and Les Claypool, but I'm not sure if it was. Regardless, it was.....interesting.

Dynamite Hack's version of Boyz N The Hood is a good listen, too.

* Not sure if it counts as a cover, since he performed it with the surviving members of Queen, but whatever....