That Comics Thread

MalaCloudy Black

So, who here follows comics? For a while when I was 11 (and 12) I did, then I moved on. But, recently, I've gotten back into comics, thanks to old issues of Deadpool and Spider-Man.

Who else here collects them etc.? I know Y2Johnny does, and I'm fairly sure TheRaySays does (more than likely, as he owns a store IIRC.)

Believe it or not I have the entire Cable comics From #0 to #107

Guest EriKBN

I have collected comics all my life, but only started collecting them hardcore around 8th grade or so when I heard that the new GI Joe series was coming out on Image Comics.

I collect that Ultimate X-Men and Spider-Man series, also Fantastic Four and all the GI Joe titles.

I have every issue of Ultimate Spider-Man to date, except number 6 I believe.

I have every issue of Ultimate Spider-Man to date, except number 6 I believe.

Nice. I'm trying to garner a collection of The Ultimates, Volume 1 - only 12 more issues left to find! (lol)

What are the most recent comics you've purchased? Mine are..

Venom #13 "Twist, Part 1" (Had to read it 3 times to fully understand it, even after reading the backstory on the first page!!)

The Ultimates, Volume 1, Issue 13 "How I Learned To Love The Hulk" (Pretty good, I love Iron Man's new look in the Ultimate Universe)

Weapon X issue 23, War of the Programs Part 1 (Wolverine + Fantomex + Agent Zero = cooool)

I used to follow the X-Men and Spiderman comics, but I haven't bothered for ages. I had all the really old X-Men comics, where they wore the yellow and blue costumes, and before Beast had hair. Those rocked. I gave up on the Spiderman stuff after the convulated clone stuff. The Onslaught saga was good though.

It was weird, I went through this period about 2 years ago where I brought lots of comics - mostly Green Lantern and The Flash, but quite a lot of Batman (the Gotham Knights series) and Spider-man too, then I just stopped. Must have brought about 25/30 comics in about 3/4 weeks, then haven't got any since. Weird...................

Guest bruins72

I used to collect/read comics. I stopped a few years ago. The quality would fluctuate too much and I couldn't be bothered to drive to the other side of the city for them. What was even worse was having to go into the comic shop to buy them. They had some of the strangest people there. They were totally like Comic Book Guy from the Simpsons and some of them thought showering was optional. Yuck!

I used to read anything X-Men related, Sandman, some graphic novels, and whatever caught my eye as potentially interesting.

There are only 3 places near me that sell comics:

Hastings (if you dunno what that is, ask Tristy, it's a southern entertainment store chain, best way to describe it.) They have one of those small spinning racks at the back of the store filled with comics. Not much of a selection.

Card & Comic World - They usually sell out of the new comics FAST, but they must have, at the very LEAST, 40+ boxes filled with old comics that you're free to look through.

Conway Comics - I haven't been here yet, I just discovered it existed last night, I'll probably try to coax someone into taking me there this week.

EDIT: Ouch, bruins. I haven't had any encounters with people like that. Most of the time I'm the only one looking at comics in Hastings, and at C&C World I'm usually the only one there, and if not, the only other people in the store are parents and kids that came to trade/buy Yu-Gi-Oh and baseball cards.

Edited by CloudStrife888

I like Marvel but it's gotten brutally overpriced. I'm not paying fucking three dollars for a comic unless it's something I'm REALLY loving (like Ultimate Six).

I'm getting into Batman right now. Plus I'm going to start getting old, cheaper comics for the hell of it.

Guest fullhouse

Deadpool & The Spiderman series are my two favorite comics of all time. I use to be a avide collector and it's funny that this was posted here because this week after reading some spidey comics over the weekend I decided to start back reading and collecting. I also like the new GI Joe series though I havent read it in over a year. Another one of my favorites was J2. I seriously doubt if anyone else here has ever read it. It was put out by marvel. And it was basically then teenage son of Juggernaut. It had the feel of a young (early) spiderman. They discontinued it after 1 year though. I also like another not so popular comic named Fused. I cant remember who releases it, I know it's not Marvel or DC.

Guest bruins72

EDIT: Ouch, bruins. I haven't had any encounters with people like that. Most of the time I'm the only one looking at comics in Hastings, and at C&C World I'm usually the only one there, and if not, the only other people in the store are parents and kids that came to trade/buy Yu-Gi-Oh and baseball cards.

There aren't many comic places around me and the one that I used to go to seemed like it fit every stereotype out there. It seemed like the only people I ever saw in there were guys between the ages of 25-45 that still lived in their parents' basement. These people seemed like they had no social skills outside debating the "finer points" of certain comics with each other. I can't tell you how many times I rushed out of there because of a smelly person hanging out there. I'd be all for subscribing and getting them in the mail but I've heard some horror stories.

Like someone else mentioned, cost is also a factor. Most books are up around $3 a piece now. That's not a lot of money but it seems like a waste for something I'm only going to spend 10 or 15 minutes reading. At times, I was buying almost 20 books a month. That adds up. I also didn't like how they were constantly being delayed. It's bad enough that I'd have to wait a month in between issues but then some of them would take even longer. From what I hear they're collecting a lot of issues into tpb's now. At least that way I can get a whole story at once.

BTW, they had Hasting in Utah when I was stationed there. It was a pretty good store. They had music and books, plus you could rent videos (this was before DVD) and games. There was one near our base and we used to visit it constantly.

Guest EriKBN

Free Comic Book Day is always tight. I must agree that most of the people who go to comic book shops do fit that stereotype however.

Even though comic books seem like a lot of money to pay for it's still better than my old hobby of collecting baseball cards. Those things would run from about $2.50 to 5 or 6 dollars a pack and you couldn't really do anything with them once you're done with them besides store them away and maybe look at them once and a while.

As for the last comics I bought it would be the first two issues of the Ultimate Six GI Joe Frontline #'s 8-15 I think. And GI Joe/Transformers #'s 1 and 2.

Also Cloudy... I have The Ultimates #1 if that's one of the issues you're looking for. I never really got into the series though so that was the only issue I bought.

Edited by EriKBN

Iwc - I dunno if any of the local places are doing Free Comic book day, I saw an ad in the issue of The Ultimates that I bought and it said, of course, participating retailers only - and I don't think any of the stores around here are participating :/

Erik - That's cool, I think I'm just going to see if I can't get one of the stores around here to just order the first 3 or 4 issues for me.

EDIT

Settle somethin'.

you can't really call VENOM a villain. he fights for a good cause, just does so in a really nasty way. justice is justice though.

answering your Q....

Villians - Carnage, Green Goblin (RIP), Deadpool, Mystique

SpHeroes - Spidey, Wolvie, DareDevil, Punisher, Black Cat (yes, Felicia)

(Taken from the Marvel_Universe LiveJournal Community)

Now, is Venom a VILLAIN or not? Personally, I don't know how the guy says Venom ISN'T a villain and then goes on to list DEADPOOL as a villain. If Deadpool's a villain, so is The Punisher, because they're practically the same thing - mercenaries with no regard for innocent life and a dark sense of humor.

What do you think?

Edited by CloudStrife888