Bladed boots

therockbox

Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson has called for football boots with bladed studs to be banned.

Ferguson is convinced the blades are responsible for the broken foot bone which will sideline skipper Roy Keane for two months.

He said: "The shot of the injury shows the shape of a blade stud on Roy's foot. The bladed studs are a danger.

"We have strong views about this, we don't allow our players to wear them as they can cause serious injuries."

Ferguson branded bladed boots as a dangerous fad and has approached United's kit providers Nike, who are one of the manufacturers of such boots.

He said: "It's one of those gimmicks that come along. They're trying to sell them to kids, that's the problem with them.

"We have not spoken to the Football Association as I am not sure they can do much.

"It's up to the clubs but I know a lot of them are refusing to allow players to wear them.

"We have photographs in the dressing room of some of the injuries caused by blades. Some of our academy boys had bad injuries, including some terrible facial injuries.

"We have spoken with Nike about it. Hopefully the fad will evaporate and they will think of something else."

Edited by rock a box

If they cause injuries then they should be banned I guess but wouldn't a stud pretty much do the same damage. I know the blades on my boots aren't particularly sharp and some studs in my view would be more lethal.

Also, blades are way better for playing in, they improve you movement a lot.

You can tell how much I know about "football". When I saw the title of this thread, I though it was someone asking about hockey skates but they didn't actually know to call them that. Oh well.

I don't think these metal tipped studs are needed. If they are more dangerous, then they are not needed.

I don't see a reason why as a lot of players play in them. Mudda might be right about Ferguson only coming out because of Keane's injury.

I've always found regular studs fine but have only played in blades once and can't remember if they improved anything because it was a while back.

I've never tried blades, but regular studs hurt the bottom of my feet, even on wet days, so I imagine blades, being placed around the edge of the boot, would be better.

I dunno what I'm adding to this conversation, I've forgot what my point was.