Foreign Football Thread

Yeah we had one of these mid way last season, so I thought let's re create it for anyone who fancies talking here and there about what's happening outside of England.

I'll start with Italy, because we (Juventus) got another brilliant win today, thank's to that man Patric Vieira. The score ended up 2-1, Pat scored in the final ten minutes. Great thing is, he did the exact same thing on Wednesday against Udinese. So you could say he's doing brilliant, he's really flying at the moment. He's scored three goals in Serie A in just five appearances, which is brilliant for him. Other news about Juventus, Abbiati needs to go. He's the worst keeper I've ever seen, how he ever got over as a keeper for Milan I'll never know. He's unconfident and sluggish, we need Buffon back to put this team to full strength.

Udinese also lost tonight, 2-0. Iaquinta is leaving in January now, and if you ask me, I think Arsenal should bid for him. Not sure how he'd fair in England, but Bergkamp is gone at the end of the season right? Iaquinta has proven himself much more since the new season started, deadly finisher and he could work at Arsenal. Table looks like this:

1 Juventus - 5 - 15

2 Fiorentina - 4 - 10

3 Palermo - 4 - 10

4 Inter - 4 - 9

5 Sampdoria - 4 - 9

Roma in 7th and Milan in 8th. Milan have had a poor start to the season, but they picked that up on Wednesday. Cafu is gone at the end of this season, he'll be major hard to replace, amazing player overall. Shev to sign a new deal that will keep him at Milan till 2010 as well.

Other places, Barcelona won 4-1 today against Betis. Somehow Getafe are top though, but Celta Vigo have a game in hand. I expect Madrid to comeback from the Woodgate shame tomorrow with a good convincing win too. Oh, Munich lost in Germany today too, 2-0 to Hamburg. Munich still sit top though, Hamburg a point behind.

Why's Iaquinta leaving? Is he not happy at Udinese?

Looks like Vieira still has some of his old form.

And in La Liga, I think Luxemburgo needs to get rid of his 4-2-2-2 formation that is based on, according to him, "magic angles and rectangles". Maybe wingers were not necessary in Brazil, but I think without width, Madrid would suffer.

And in La Liga, I think Luxemburgo needs to get rid of his 4-2-2-2 formation that is based on, according to him, "magic angles and rectangles". Maybe wingers were not necessary in Brazil, but I think without width, Madrid would suffer.

Well, for those interested, here's the roundup from Australia's A-League, the competition in its first ever season.

Last Week

Sydney FC 2 lost Central Coast Mariners 3 (15,614)

Perth Glory 1 lost Adelaide United 2 (8052)

Queensland Roar 1 drew Melbourne Victory 1 (15,444)

Newcastle United Jets 4 def New Zealand Knights 0 (7495)

This Week

New Zealand Knights 0 lost Perth Glory 1 (No crowd figures)

Queensland Roar 1 lost Sydney FC 3 (23,142)

Melbourne Victory 1 def Newcastle United Jets 0 (13,831)

Adelaide United 1 drew Central Coast Mariners 1 (7013)

Table after Five Weeks

Team Pld W D L F A GD Pts

Adelaide 5 3 2 0 5 2 3 11

Central Coast 5 2 2 1 6 6 0 8

Newcastle 5 2 1 2 7 4 3 7

Sydney 5 2 1 2 10 8 2 7

Perth 5 2 1 2 6 6 0 7

Melbourne 5 1 3 1 5 5 0 6

Queensland 5 1 2 2 5 6 -1 5

New Zealand 5 1 0 4 3 10 -7 3

Despite their lowly position on the ladder, the Queensland Roar have been immensely exciting to watch with their young forward line with players like Jonty Richter, Michael Baird, and Alex Brosque fast nd skillful. New Zealand, on the other hand, have been nothing short of woeful in most of their games. Melbourne and Perth have yet to set the world alight, whilst Sydney FC are struggling despite the presence of Dwight Yorke in their front line. Newcastle United's big names such as Ante Milic, Mateo Corbo, and Ned Zelic are finally starting to fire after a slow start, whilst the Mariners and Adelaide United continue to impress with their excellent team discipline making up for their lack of recognised stars.

• 1 month later...

Okay, an update. Roma/Inter is on Bravo for anyone who cares, and it's a cracking game. End to end stuff at times. Roma are 2-0 up, which might surprise many. Totti scored a world class chip from outside the 18 yard box, showing he's back to his best after the poor season he had last year. Mancini playing outstanding football for Roma. I'm hoping Roma win this, because even though it's early, we'll have a major lead over Inter.

Speaking of Juve, it's Juve/Milan this Saturday for anyone who wants to watch what should be an awesome game. It's on Bravo as well. Juve 1-0 at half time too right now, Milan 1-1, so if it stays that way the gap would increase to about 8 points. Seems we're on the run Chelsea are on in England, won every single game so far and only let in one or two goals at the most. Buffon back in a months time too.

Last time I checked, Barcelona were drawing 0-0 too, that's on Sky Sports ATM.

Edit: Roma are 3-0 up now. Started so much better this season, while Inter have become more and more gutted that they aren't as fabulous as they claim, clearly. Milan now 3-1 up and we're 2-0 up, thanks to Mutu scoring. Not sure why we'd want to sell him in January, he's scoring left right and center, he certainly deserves to stay.

Edited by JohnnyPerfect

Not to double post or anything, but it's all over. Inter did one of there now famous comebacks, bringing it back to 3-2 against Roma, still not enough. It also proves that even if you can do amazing comebacks like them, it doesn't make you a brilliant team. I'm loving it too, because they're always boasting about how they're going to stroll passed the likes of Juve/Milan and so on, not going there way this season. Juve won 2-0 and Milan finished 3-1.

Barcelona managed to win 1-0, while Madrid was 0-0 last time I checked. Like I said before, during the week try and catch highlights of Serie A, it's always on Bravo, just do it for the Inter/Roma game, it's worth it.

Yeah, Milan murdered us. We were shit overall, and they were miles better on the night, they needed to be though. Gattuso was outstanding, I don't think I've seen someone with as much stamina as this guy has, even at his rather old age too. They're back in the title race too, still a good four points clear though and they've still got to go to Turin, which should be a different story.

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone watch the Madrid/Barca game last night?

Lionel Messi, the 18-year old and apparent 'Next Maradona' (After Tevez, Aimar, Riquelme, Saviola and Ortega of course!) was in great form, definitely one for the future based on that performance and the hype he'd received before the game. Ronaldinho was the star man by some margin, the Madrid defence was just in shambles every time he got the ball; a point well demonstrated with his two cracking goals.

Very impressive performance from Barca, almost total domination just as the score line would suggest and a very entertaining game to boot.

Yeah, I've heard Madrid got destroyed, got to see highlights of that one.

I'm happy how Totti and Roma were bad mouth Juve before yesterdays clash. Made it much better when we scored 4 goals in 15 minutes and beat them 4-1, they're still lacking in places, Cassano will be gone soon surely.