Moore seeks PG-13 on 'Fahrenheit'

Laice07

Moore seeks PG-13 on 'Fahrenheit' Movie scheduled to open June 25

LOS ANGELES, California (AP) -- Distributors of Michael Moore's documentary "Fahrenheit 9/11" are appealing to get a PG-13 rating, instead of R.

A screening by the Motion Picture Association of America's appeals board has been set for June 22, just three days before "Fahrenheit 9/11" hits theaters. But the film's distributors are trying to move that screening up to this week to expedite a decision, said Tom Ortenberg, president of Lions Gate Films, one of the companies releasing the film.

An R rating means those younger than 17 cant' see the movie unless accompanied by an adult. The MPAA ratings board gave "Fahrenheit 9/11" an R rating for "violent and disturbing images and for language."

"I think the message of the movie is so important that it should be available to be seen by as wide an audience as possible," Ortenberg said Monday. "Frankly, I don't consider any of the images in the film any more disturbing than what we have all seen on the cable news networks and the gratuitous violence that fills the screen of so many PG-13-rated action pictures."

In "Fahrenheit 9/11," Moore depicts President Bush as asleep at the wheel in the months before the September 11 attacks. The movie also accuses the White House of breeding fear of more terrorism to gain public support for the Iraq war.

The film's images include a public beheading in Saudi Arabia, Iraqis burned by napalm and a grisly scene of an Iraqi man dumping a dead baby into a truckbed loaded with bodies.

"It is sadly very possible that many 15- and 16-year-olds will be asked and recruited to serve in Iraq in the next couple of years," Moore said. "If they are old enough to be recruited and capable of being in combat and risking their lives, they certainly deserve the right to see what is going on in Iraq."

"Fahrenheit 9/11" won the top honor at last month's Cannes Film Festival for Moore, who received the 2002 Academy Award for best documentary with "Bowling for Columbine."

Moore had to seek new distributors for "Fahrenheit 9/11" after Disney refused to let its Miramax subsidiary release it, saying it was too politically charged.

Miramax bosses Harvey and Bob Weinstein bought the movie back from Disney and lined up Lions Gate and IFC Films to help distribute it.

The film opens June 25 in 500 to 1,000 theaters in "every major city in America," Ortenberg said.

That constitutes an exceptionally wide release among documentaries, which typically play in only a handful of theaters.

Theater owners are receiving pressure to not book the film. The Hollywood Reporter reports that a group called Move America Forward, which says its goal is "supporting America's war on terrorism," is urging U.S. movie theaters not to screen the film.

Sources: Yahoo Movies and CNN.com

Edited by Laice_

Maybe it is a ploy....but R isn't that bad. Just look at Passion, and this movie is just as contrversial. Teens probably did see Passion with their parents, so this movie could still do well.

Maybe it is a ploy....but R isn't that bad.  Just look at Passion, and this movie is just as contrversial.  Teens probably did see Passion with their parents, so this movie could still do well.

Could be a ploy to keep people out for sure but I've heard that the video shows dead bodies and stuff........not that it makes a difference.

I'm just a little dissapointed in Moore right now though. He says he had footage on the prison abuse a while back but didn't release it. I understand part of his reasoning that it would have more credibility being released by the news media but he still should've said something.

Translation: The more people who can see the film, the more money we make.

This is being used as an election ploy. People under 17 can't vote. It can still be a fully successful election ploy, and teenagers can see the DVD when it comes out. If parents are so concerned about their kids seeing the movie, they'll take them to see it themselves.

If it contains a beheading and napalm attacks then he hasn't got a hope in hell.

NC-17 at best.

Although fictional, there have been plenty of PG-13 films with graphic images. LOTR even had a few beheadings, and that scene in X2 with Wolverine and the other chick stabbing eachother multiple times was also rather graphic.

Napalm has been shown on plenty of news channels.

Well I don't think anyone unless you've seen it can say "I think it should be PG-13" or "I think it should be R" because we don't know how graphic it is.  Either way I'm going to see it.

They show dead Iraqis I believe. That's the reason behind the ratings.

I'll add this from imdb.com:

Moore Hot over 'Fahrenheit' Ruling

The Motion Picture Assn. of America's Rating Appeals Board has rejected an appeal of the decision to slap Michael Moore's Fahrenheit 9/11 with an R rating. The film opens in two theaters in New York today (Wednesday) and in 868 theaters on Friday, the most ever for a documentary. Moore immediately issued a statement denouncing the decision and urged older teenagers "to come see my movie by any means necessary. ... If you need me to sneak you in, let me know." Tom Ortenberg, president of Lions Gate, one of the film's distributors expressed "hope that parents and guardians will see fit to bring their mature children to this film." Meanwhile, Exhibitor Relations chief Paul Dergarabedian is predicting box office success for the film this weekend. He told the Miami Herald: "You have a film that is purely a product of its time, and in an election year, could become very popular. You've got a situation like we had with The Passion of the Christ. We know it's going to be big; we just don't know how big."

Short Version: The film will be rated R and will do well.

Honestly, how hard is it to see an R-rated movie? I NEVER get carded at the movies. The only time it ever happened was when Hannibal came out and I saw it on opening night in a packed theater right after I turned 17. I'm almost 21 now and I look 15, and still have only been carded once. It's not that hard to see an R-Rated movie, you don't need to sneak in or any of that shit. Just ask for a ticket and you'll usually get one, unless the theater will be packed, which I highly doubt for a documentary that few media outlets will advertise.

Honestly, how hard is it to see an R-rated movie?  I NEVER get carded at the movies.  The only time it ever happened was when Hannibal came out and I saw it on opening night in a packed theater right after I turned 17.  I'm almost 21 now and I look 15, and still have only been carded once.  It's not that hard to see an R-Rated movie, you don't need to sneak in or any of that shit.  Just ask for a ticket and you'll usually get one, unless the theater will be packed, which I highly doubt for a documentary that few media outlets will advertise.

Let me stop you there, Zero. I have seen loads of ads for Fahrenheit 9/11 on cable TV. There is plenty of hype about the film as well.

Let me stop you there, Zero.

Well I would expect you to, it was the end of my post :D

I have seen loads of ads for Fahrenheit 9/11 on cable TV. There is plenty of hype about the film as well.

Loads of ads for a documentary... on cable TV. Generally more youth oriented outlets like MTV and Comedy Central. I haven't seen one ad on the major networks or any of the cable news outlets. I know Moore is trying to get teens to come see this, and they have a right to, but many teens are totally clueless about these issues. This movie is best suited as election propaganda for voters.

Well I would expect you to, it was the end of my post  :D

Loads of ads for a documentary... on cable TV.  Generally more youth oriented outlets like MTV and Comedy Central.  I haven't seen one ad on the major networks or any of the cable news outlets.  I know Moore is trying to get teens to come see this, and they have a right to, but many teens are totally clueless about these issues.  This movie is best suited as election propaganda for voters.

I saw an ad on Bravo today. I've seen a few on MSNBC. I don't know if they are by the networks or inserted in by the cable company.