Sin City to the Small Screen?

Benji

Sin City: The TV Series

It's not a dream. It's real and coming to a television set near you!

by Hilary Goldstein

October 24, 2005 - Frank Miller's Sin City graphic novels were turned into a critically and commercially successful feature film earlier this year. Director Robert Rodriguez has already confirmed that a sequel is in the works for 2006 and will be based primarily on Miller's A Dame to Kill For. Variety is reporting that the Sin City franchise will continue on the small screen following the release of Sin City 2.

"Also in the works [is] a [series] based on Dimension Films' 'Sin City' -- which would follow in the footsteps of 2006's second pic in Robert Rodriguez's 'Sin' series," Variety stated.

Details on the series will likely remain nebulous for some time, but a 2007 release seems a likely target. Whether the series will be live-action or animated is also unclear, though it would be difficult for a weekly live-action TV series to follow the visual template laid out by Rodriguez's film.

It's also unknown if the series will translate the remaining Sin City graphic novels or be based strictly on all new tales. Considering there are only a handful of Miller's Sin graphic novels remaining, it's a near-certainty that the bulk of episodes will need to be original stories.

The level of involvement from Rodriguez and Miller is also unknown. More details should become available when Miller and Rodriguez begin promoting the Sin City silver screen sequel next year.

I think the words "Holyshitholyshitholyshit" qualifies for this. I saw it a month or two ago and thought how awesome it would be to have something like this, it's the perfect style to translate to TV IMO.

I'll wait until we have an idea of what channel picks it up before making any judgements. If it's not cable, it'll probably suck. But if they do get an HBO or a Showtime and get some original cast members back, I'm definitely looking forward to it.

I think this needs to be done in animation. I don't think it'd looks as good if they tried to copy the style from the films to a TV series. But animation could work really well I think. It needs to keep the style of the graphic novels though.

As opposed to movies like Ferris Bueller and Barbershop, this would actually work pretty well as a series, as long as Mr. Miller has a hand in it somewhere. Oh, and as long as it's on HBO, as Beatnik said. With shows like Rome and The Sopranos on HBO, Sin City would definitely fit in.

If they do it in the same style as the movie, I will be estatic. Hopefully they dont screw this up, and this will get Miller to make more comics hopefully, which is awesome as well.

Well I'll look forward to it. It'sll probably be in the UK by 2008 or so >_>

Yeah, thats why I'm not exactly excited about it. I think it'll have to be animation, what with all the effects that were done in the films. It'd be rough trying to get those done every week.

Hopefully they dont screw this up, and this will get Miller to make more comics hopefully, which is awesome as well.

Miller is already writing new material, although some of it is for use in Sin City 2. Apparently one features Nancy going after the Rourkes etc, the people who put Hartigan away.

Edited by Marv