Dillinger Escape Plan

kliq

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That was at Reading 2002 (or maybe 03), and that was the original singer.

I'm pretty sure it was the new guy, Puciato or something like that. Could be mistaken, but I don't think I am... (Y)

DEP are awesome. It took me about 6 weeks to remove Miss Machine from my CD Player. Really need to go and see them live now.

It was before the Mike Patton EP, so it was with the original singer, unless the new one has done it as well.

I am most definitely a fan; I believe their is a thread on the 2nd or 3rd page about my love for the Escape Plan as I went to see them live. They are FUCKING amazing live; except for the stupid hardcore dancers which you can avoid by being totally against the stage or far enough back.

I kind of want to see them live when I am not so close just to see the entire experience live. They blow every band I have seen live out of the water.

It was Greg, the latest singer who shit into a bag and threw it into the crowd, I was there and remember it very well, I believe it was one of his first shows with DEP.

I think they've been banned from the Carling Festival after Leeds 04, that was pretty insane especially as the guy climbing the central support beam nearly fell off!

Amazing band none the less, highlight for me was 2 nights in a row watching them support System of a Down in Manchester, amazing both nights.

I hate Mr. Bungle, the only thing I liked by them was the Radiohead covers and the Mario theme.

Blah to that. Mr. Bungle > any Patton project. All are solid, but none compare to the amazing self-titled album of Mr. Bungle. California and Disco Volante are both great in their own respects as well.

As for Dillinger Escape Plan, I've never heard them, or so I think. Can anybody compare them to somebody I might be familiar with?

Dillinger Escape Plan are math-metal (with basically messed up jazzy time signatures, and pretty heavy to boot).

Bands like them are Botch, Burst....ermmm....I dunno really (and these are bands I haven't heard, but I've heard mentioned with them).

Heavier DEP style is Meshuggah, and a more commercial style similar to DEP is Mudvayne (apparently :P)

EDIT: Allmusic.com lists

Meshuggah

Exit-13

Mr. Bungle

Brutal Truth

Praxis

Repulsion

Disharmonic Orchestra

Norma Jean

Converge

The Mars Volta

Between the Buried and Me

Tomahawk

Five Pointe O

Circle of Dead Children

as bands who have similar elements to DEP, but some are a bit tenuous.

Edited by Liam

Thanks for that info, heh, I've actually only heard Mr. Bungle and Tomahawk from that group. I'll probably have to just hear them for myself to make a judgement. I know a lot of newer punk fans are into them, but do they resemble the kind of punk I'd be thinking of? I'm under the impression they have a very fast and heavy sound that probably generates some nice crowds.

Your best comparison to Dillinger Ecape Plan is probably Between The Buried And Me, most noteably their latest album "Alaska".

I wouldn't say Mudvayne were a more commercial version of DEP, theres a different technical style to them, far too many groove jazz styles in the bass and drums compared to a lot of Dillingeres harsh, accurate style.

Your best comparison to Dillinger Ecape Plan is probably Between The Buried And Me, most noteably their latest album "Alaska".

I wouldn't say Mudvayne were a more commercial version of DEP, theres a different technical style to them, far too many groove jazz styles in the bass and drums compared to a lot of Dillingeres harsh, accurate style.

Which is why I said "apparently", as I don't get the comparison, but have heard it made.

Dillinger Escape Plan are math-metal (with basically messed up jazzy time signatures, and pretty heavy to boot).

Bands like them are Botch

Praxis

The Mars Volta

Circle of Dead Children

as bands who have similar elements to DEP, but some are a bit tenuous.

Botch did an excellent cover of "Rock Lobster", other than that, they aren't really worth checking out. Praxis are excellent, but in no way similar to Dillinger Escape Plan, same goes for The Mars Volta and Circle Of Dead Children.