Roy Keane leaves Man U!

Liam

Keane in shock exit from Man Utd

Roy Keane has left Manchester United by mutual consent.

The Old Trafford club confirmed in a statement on Friday that Keane, 34, had left with immediate effect after 12-and-a-half years with United.

Earlier this month, after a 4-1 defeat to Middlesbrough which he did not play in, Keane gave an interview to MUTV where he was critical of the side.

That interview was never shown and it appears the fall-out has contributed to one of United's most dramatic exits.

Keane's representative Michael Kennedy met United chief executive David Gill at Old Trafford on Friday to thrash out details of Keane's severance, and the stunning news was then announced.

Gill said: "Roy has been a towering figure at the Club for over a decade. His dedication, talent and leadership have been qualities that have marked him out as one of the true greats.

"On behalf of everyone at the Club, we wish him every success in his future career."

Keane himself said: "It has been a great honour and privilege for me to play for Manchester United for over 12 years.

"During my time at the club I have been fortunate to play alongside some of the best players in the game and in front of the best supporters in the world.

"At all times I have endeavoured to do my best for the management and the team.

"Whilst it is a sad day for me to leave such a great club and Manager I believe that the time has now come for me to move on. After so many years, I will miss everyone at the club.

"I send my best wishes for the future to the management, players, staff and supporters of the club."

Shit....I knew it was a big deal, but for him to leave, thats a kick in the teeth for Man U, even if he hasn't been playing great.

And yes, I guess this could have gone in the Man U thread, and someone can move it if they wish, but this will get more initial attention at least :P

Edited by Liam

I thought he was leaving at the end of the season because they had a big testimonial planned for him.

I don't get why they were so angry with him for the interview, what he was saying was the truth and things he's probably said to many a player in the past.

Ah well, I don't like him but I thought he was a good player. What do you think he'll do now? Retire? Or give another club a crack?

Edited by LBTN™ Version2

Wow. Although it seemed likely he'd leave sooner rather than later, It comes as a real surprise to see Roy's exit, certainly at this point of the season.

I suppose it's really for the best. As a figure and a captain, he'll be sorely missed but at such a late point in his career, we really shouldn't have been relying on him so much in the first place. We won't find another one like him, anyone currently on the market or those of which we've been linked with, cannot possibly fill the void Roy's left us with. The manager faces a tough transfer outing, a rethink in dimensions. Such a case was always inevitable; let's just hope we're well prepared without him.

Blanc was a decent centre back before joining United mind....

I was expecting him to go but I suppse when he offended half the team after a shit performance the egos got out of check and he was left with little option but to move on. Someones on for a bargain of Campbell proportions now though, even if it's only one more year.

Thank God, he was a cunt and I'm glad he's gone now, I hope he doesn't come back to the Premiership because he's nothing but an absolutle cunt who needs shot in the face.

Purposely ending a players career? I don't care if Haaland had said anything to him what he done was retarded and if it wasn't Man Utd everyone would hate him but they all think it was cool.

Of course 90% of Man Utd fans will just say "He was shit anyways" now that he's left, much like they did Beckham, and Barthez and any other player that has come and gone from Man Utd, yet when they play their it seems that most Man Utd fans I know think the world of them.

I'm glad he's gone. I've always hated him.

I think it's a big loss personally.

Still think he has got it, despite people saying he hasn't. He's not the man he used to be, he can still pull it when needed though. I always rated him, still do, and really I hope to see him stay in the Premiership rather than go to a place where I'll never see him play again.

Roma and Juventus dismiss Keane link

Any chance of an escape to Italy for free agent Roy Keane appears to have dissolved after Juventus and Roma ruled themselves out of the running to sign the former Manchester United captain.

The 34-year-old midfielder left Old Trafford by mutual consent last Friday and is free to sign for any club.

However, Juventus general director Luciano Moggi, when asked about his club's reported interest in Keane, said: 'The Juventus team is already strong as it is.'

It is especially strong in midfield and while Juve are one of the few clubs that could meet Keane's wage demands, they would find it difficult to give him time on the pitch.

The defending Serie A champions bolstered their squad in the summer with the signing of Frenchman Patrick Vieira, one of Keane's bitter rivals in the English Premiership during his own nine years at Arsenal.

Brazilian Emerson is also one of the midfield lynchpins in their squad.

Roma have now also ruled themselves out of the running, in even more categorical terms than Juve.

Roma sporting director Daniele Prade said: 'We have never been in contact with Roy Keane or his agent because he is a player that doesn't interest us, not now or in the future.'

Closer to home, Manchester City boss Stuart Pearce did not rule out trying to set up a cross-city switch for the player.

'I think this club would like to be associated with good players and Roy Keane falls into that category,' said Pearce, who spent three years with the tough-tackling midfielder at Nottingham Forest in the early 1990s.

'Every club in the world at the moment has their name attached to Roy Keane. I think the fact we are in a city where he lives and works means we might be attached as well.

'As long as this club continues to get attached to good players I think that is a good thing.

'We are certainly looking at players who might improve our team - we always are and always will be and Roy is a good player, one who can improve our team.

'He is a good player and that is borne out by the number of teams who have been associated with a player who has only been released by his club for a couple of days.'

Celtic would seem a good fit for Keane, though the Hoops chief executive Brian Quinn has pointed out he would need to take a severe cut in wages for the Parkhead club to afford him.

'There are two separate issues,' he told BBC Radio Five Live.

'One is a footballing issue, whether Roy would fit into Gordon's plans and the formation - because the team is playing very well just now and is very settled.

'But that is Gordon's judgement and we have to take that into account.

'The other is the business side, and we would have to wait and see what is proposed.

'We have heard nothing from Roy Keane, nothing from his representatives and until you see what the proposal is, it is premature to offer a view on that.'

Portsmouth were one of the first clubs to declare an interest in Keane, while Wigan, Everton, West Brom and Aston Villa have all been linked to the player.

Birmingham boss Steve Bruce, who played alongside Keane at United in the early 1990s, ruled out making any attempt to bring the Irishman to St Andrews.

Bruce said: 'I think he has still got something left as a player. I know him well. I wouldn't be surprised if something is already sorted. Will we be trying to sign him? No, I think we can rule that one out, that's for sure.'

Bryan Robson re-affirmed his desire to bring former Manchester United team-mate Keane to West Brom.

Robson said: 'Every Premier League manager would have an interest in Roy Keane - but Roy is the only one who will make a decision on what he wants to do.

'I have tried to phone Roy but all I kept getting was his answer machine. If he wants to come to West Brom, I will try to make it happen with the chairman.' [+]

Edited by Ren

No surprise with the Italian links in the papers this morning. If Figo can end up at Inter Milan, even at his age, Keane could easily work as a short-term fix at basically any club. The only problem is the fact that he's cup-tied for the Champions League and also (if we're to believe everything we read in the papers) his high wage demands could be off-putting to a lot of clubs.

That said, I really can't help but look past him ending up at Celtic regardless of his wage cost.