NBA Off-Season...

Guest StreetzHopin

• Replies 543
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest StreetzHopin

Who needs Defense when you got Shaq? Cuban's still gonna have crazy amount of talent around Shaq.

The lakers of this last year & the year before...

Edited by StreetzHopin

Saying Dallas won't play defense with Shaq has to be one of the most insane comments I've heard in this thread. Adding Shaq to your team gives you an inside presence like none other. Although Shaq barely plays any D nowadays, at least you won't have to worry about guys driving straight to the hoop on Dallas without getting smacked around.

And who is this idiot that keeps saying Nash is a SG? Nash is a great PG, one of the top 5 in the league, and if he comes to Denver you'd put him at the 2? You must be nuts.

T-Mac in Houston is a fantastic move, I'll love to see how he fits in with Yao. Should be a great tandem considering Yao is as unselfish as they get.

Today on Around The Horn, Jay Marriotti said something interesting, "You need 2 Superstars in the NBA to win a title." Seeing as how the Pistons just won a title without any bonafide Superstars, do you agree with his statement or not? He also says Houston contends for the championship next season, and I would agree with him if Houston adds Derek Fisher to their sqaud. They need a PG.

Edited by SeanB

The last team before Detroit that won without at least 2 superstars was what the Rockets in '93-'94? and before them was the Sonics back in '78-'79.

I'd say that proves those teams were the exceptions and not the rule.

I don't think Houston will contend for the title next year as they need to develop chemistry with or without Fisher, but if T-Mac learns to play with a team, they could compete 2 years from now.

Houston will contend next year. Yao's development is going just fine. T-Mac obviously knew what he was doing here and has a great opportunitly here in what could be the #1 Guard/Big man combo in the league. Van Gundy got a chance to coach a great center in the past with Ewing, now he gets a very good Center and a very good guard to go along with him. Van Gundy will get this one pulled off.

Didn't the Rockets have Olajuwon and Drexler?

That was '94-'95. The '93-'94 team ripped my heart out when they beat the Knicks 4-3. Aside from Olajuwon their next best player was either Vernon Maxwell, Otis Thorpe or Kenny Smith, none of which were world beaters. Although Horry and Sam-I-Am were bit parts on that team as well. I still hurt when I think about that series :ohwell:

That was '94-'95. The '93-'94 team ripped my heart out when they beat the Knicks 4-3. Aside from Olajuwon their next best player was either Vernon Maxwell, Otis Thorpe or Kenny Smith, none of which were world beaters. Although Horry and Sam-I-Am were bit parts on that team as well. I still hurt when I think about that series  :ohwell:

Mario Elie was pretty good as well.

Poor naiwf....that was the best chance for the Knicks in recent years.

They had a shot in 99, but Duncan just destroyed them :(

I do agree that you need 2 stars to win a title.....the Pistons this year were just the exception to the rule.

Shaq + Kobe, Jordan + Pippen, Duncan + Robinson, Magic + Worthy, Bird + McHale + Parish.....goes on and on.....

Well the last two Championship teams haven't had two stars. You could argue that in 03 San Antonio had Robinson/Duncan, but Robinson was past his prime and Duncan carried that team. I don't think you need two superstars to win a title, as long as you have great chemistry and solid players it can work wonders.

Well the last two Championship teams haven't had two stars. You could argue that in 03 San Antonio had Robinson/Duncan, but Robinson was past his prime and Duncan carried that team. I don't think you need two superstars to win a title, as long as you have great chemistry and solid players it can work wonders.

Robinson was still one of the better big men in the league even in limited action. If he hadn't been there the Spurs wouldn't have won in '03, as we all saw in '04.

It's only happened 3 times in 25/26 years. That's not something I'd put money on. If great chemistry and solid players was the only thing needed, a team like the Kings would have won a title this century. Detroit '04, Houston '94 and Seattle '79 are exceptions to the rule as I said before.

Robinson was still one of the better big men in the league even in limited action. If he hadn't been there the Spurs wouldn't have won in '03, as we all saw in '04.

Wait are you saying Robinson was playing when they won the championship in 03? Because if you are he's been retired for at least 3 seasons now.

Guest BigDirty

Wait are you saying Robinson was playing when they won the championship in 03? Because if you are he's been retired for at least 3 seasons now.

What?!? He played in 2002-2003, look at this site.

Wednesday, June 30, 2004

Updated: July 1, 1:19 PM ET

ESPN.com news services

PHOENIX -- Robert Sarver completed the $401 million purchase of the Phoenix Suns on Wednesday. Now he might be primed for another $100 million investment.

A source told ESPN's David Aldridge that the Suns are prepared to offer Los Angeles Lakers free agent guard Kobe Bryant a six-year deal in excess of $100 million. The Suns can make an offer any time after 12:01 a.m. ET Thursday, the first allowable time for free agents to be contacted. The source also told Aldridge that the Suns will try to meet with Bryant's representatives on Friday in Los Angeles.

Bryant, who is facing an August trial in Eagle, Colo., on sexual assault charges, can re-sign with the Lakers for seven years and around $130 million. The Los Angeles Clippers are also very interested in Bryant, according to various reports.

Sarver, who owns about one-third of the franchise, will form an operating committee with minority owners Steve Kerr and Bryan Colangelo. Former owner Jerry Colangelo, Bryan's father, relinquished his 20 percent stake but will remain in the team's top management spot. He led an investment group that acquired the Suns in 1987 for $44.5 million.

NBA owners unanimously approved the sale of the Suns to Sarver, the team announced in a brief news release. The transaction includes the WNBA's Phoenix Mercury and Arizona Rattlers of the Arena Football League.

Sixty-five percent of the purchase price was paid at closing on Wednesday with the remainder due in three years, when Jerry Colangelo plans to step down. The price could rise to $415 million if certain incentives -- mostly based on team performance -- are met.

Sarver, 42, grew up in Tucson and graduated from the University of Arizona in 1982. He founded National Bank of Arizona at age 23.

He is chairman and chief executive of Western Alliance Bancorporation. He also is the founder of Southwest Value Partners, a major San Diego real estate investment company.

as Jim Grey reported on Sportscenter earlier, Kobe will most likely stay with the Lakers if Coach K were to become the next Lakers coach.

The Suns have reportedly gotten a verbal agreement for Steve believed to be a five-year package worth more than $65 million.

And VC wants out of Toronto, no surprise there.

Some big stories developing today.