NBA Off-Season...

Guest StreetzHopin

• Replies 543
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The draft special actually is quite good..

See as I said earlier, I don't like Dirk for Shaq.. but a lottery pick is hot money. L.A. has to feel that at the least, the #5. pick is some compensation for Shaq.. especially when you think of the fact the Lakers because of their winning seasons don't have a good draft pick this season nor any past draft picks that are really all star talent. This pick really sweetens the pot.

But I really don't see us making the deal unless Nash goes as well, because it wouldn't make sense on the Lakers part unless they filled that role as well in the process. And Nash was rumored to go there anyway after this season possibly.

Orlando would also be fools not to jump on this.. with the #1 pick and the #5 pick they could do some serious wheeling and dealing draft night.. I could see Finley going there.

I've been thinking Walker and Finley for T-Mac was a good deal considering T-Mac wanted out of Orlando anyways, now that 5th pick sweetens the deal.

I don't think Dallas is getting Shaq for anything less then Dirk. If they want an NBA title, they make the deal, Dirk's not going to lead them to it.

I admit, I'm not a big Dirk fan, or a fan of most of the pussy ass Euro players, give me some good old US ballers, but Dirk is nice, just not enough of a leader to take a team to the Finals. Payton solves the leadership problems, out of the triangle he'll do fine, he did average 15 in the regular season, he just got killed by Chauncey.

Dallas better ante up Dirk, or they won't get Shaq, I don't want to see Laettner or Stackhouse, two players that haven't done ANYTHING team wise in the NBA, in purple and gold.

I say, screw T-Mac and Shaq and just get this Pavel guy. He looks huge and could, in the long run, do just what the Mavericks need: play defense. He's 7'5" and almost 300 pounds if I remember correctly. That's about 300 pounds more than the load of turd they have in Bradley and almost six or seven inches than Danny Fortson, the (in my mind) best center that they have. Instead of getting rid of KEY core players, I think the Mavs should consider this plan of action:

Sign Steve Nash

Sign Marquis Daniels

Sign Nick Van Exel (he said he would come here for cheap)

Draft Pavel

KEEP DIRK.

I think the lineup of Pavel/Nowitzki/Howard/Finley/Nash would kill mucho. And they would have one of the deepest benches with Van Exel, Walker and Daniels sitting there. Maybe they could move Finley to the three, and put in Van Exel at the two. It all depends on if the Mavericks REALLY want Shaq.

Edited by Blitz

Maybe your beloved Lakers should have treated Shaq a bit better and maybe he wouldn't want out

EDIT: Problem with that lineup is

A: We don't want another Bradley or worse, Darko in Pavel

B: Nick and Nash are the only ones playing solid defense

Edited by Maxx

Maybe your beloved Lakers should have treated Shaq a bit better and maybe he wouldn't want out

Well said....and directly to the point.

A: We don't want another Bradley or worse, Darko in Pavel

Obviously you haven't read anything about what's being written about Darko by NBA insiders.

I just got this in an e-mail. Some of these have been reported, but I left them in because there's a little bit more detail

NBA Headlines Around the League

1. Mavericks-Wizards Trade Fuels Shaq Intrigue

In the DALLAS MORNING NEWS, Eddie Sefko reports that "the first dominoes that could eventually lead to Shaquille O'Neal have begun to fall." The "Mavericks on Wednesday evening agreed in principle to a trade that would send Antawn Jamison to Washington for Jerry Stackhouse, Christian Laettner and the No. 5 pick in tonight's NBA draft (ESPN, 7:00 ET)." Multiple sources confirmed the trade and "all suggested that the Mavericks likely would be moving one or two of the incoming assets, maybe as early as today."

2. Wizards, Mavericks Make Big Draft Eve Trade

In the WASHINGTON POST, Steve Wyche and Greg Sandoval report that the "Wizards traded Jerry Stackhouse, Christian Laettner and the fifth overall pick in tonight's NBA draft (ESPN, 7:00 ET) to the Dallas Mavericks last night for reigning NBA sixth man of the year Antawn Jamison." The "Wizards were eager to move Stackhouse and Laettner." The "Mavericks, who are pursuing a trade with the Los Angeles Lakers for center Shaquille O'Neal, wanted the Wizards' first-round pick as part of a package to entice the Lakers to part with O'Neal."

3. Magic Focus On Draft, Dangle McGrady

In the ORLANDO SENTINEL, Tim Povtak reports that the "much-anticipated trade of superstar Tracy McGrady to the Houston Rockets could bring both Seattle All-Star guard Ray Allen and Miami Heat small forward Caron Butler, in one of several, multiteam scenarios still being considered by the Orlando Magic." Orlando GM John Weisbrod "refused to talk about any trade specifics involving McGrady," but "did say Wednesday afternoon that as many as seven teams still are in serious bidding for McGrady, and that he was in no hurry to make a choice."

4. Bulls Acquire 7th Overall Pick From Suns

In the CHICAGO SUN-TIMES, Lacy J. Banks reports that Bulls operations chief John Paxson "acquired the Phoenix Suns' No. 7 pick in tonight's NBA draft (ESPN, 7:00 ET) in exchange for $3 million, the Bulls' No. 31 pick and a protected first-round pick in the next three years, providing it's not in the top three next year and it's not the No. 1 pick the following year." The Bulls however probably aren't "done dealing." Paxson has "resumed talks with the Pacers about acquiring Al Harrington," but so far Indiana is "unwilling to accept any of the contracts the Bulls needed to include to make the trade work."

5. Bobcats' Bickerstaff Eyeing St. Joe's Nelson

In the CHARLOTTE OBSERVER, Rick Bonnell reports that Bobcats coach/general manager "Bernie Bickerstaff didn't waste a minute of his day sweating over what the Orlando Magic will do with the No. 1 pick tonight." Instead, Bickerstaff "was searching for ways to acquire an additional first-round pick, possibly to select Saint Joseph's point guard Jameer Nelson." Bickerstaff has "been calling around the league, looking to swap a future first-rounder for a pick tonight that would get Nelson or another high-quality point guard."

6. Ainge Mulls Celtics' Options, Shoots Down Pierce Rumors

In the BOSTON HERALD, Steve Bulpett writes that "as the Celtics sifted through their many options on the eve of the NBA draft, Danny Ainge was forced to play a little defense. The club's director of basketball operations echoed the word of other sources within the team, saying there is nothing of substance to a report that Paul Pierce will be traded." However, that's "not to say the Celtics won't be dealing with picks 15, 24 and 25 in the first round (and a second-rounder, as well)." As of last night, Ainge "was down to about 10 possibilities -- three of them to move up and seven to move down or deal for future picks."

7. Jazz Need Big Plans For Tonight's Draft

In the SALT LAKE TRIBUNE, Michael C. Lewis writes that "the Jazz have three first-round picks this year, as opposed to the usual one last year," and yet "tonight's draft figures to be much easier to judge." That's because the "Jazz must go big." Utah owner "Larry Miller has said that if Brigham Young's Rafael Araujo is available when the Jazz pick at No. 14, the Jazz will take him. The 6-11 Araujo would be a terrific choice, too, giving the Jazz a physical presence and toughness that they almost never have enjoyed at the center position."

8. Mullin Guides Warriors' Draft Direction

In the SAN FRANCISCO CHRONICLE, Jorge Ortiz writes that "sources around the league have indicated" that Warriors vice president Chris Mullin "would like to take 6-foot-11 power forward Andris Biedrins with the 11th pick in today's NBA Draft (ESPN, 7:00 ET)." Mullin watched the "18-year-old left-hander play in his native Latvia and also had a scout watch him in Croatia, and they came away impressed." Should "Biedrins be gone by the 11th spot, the choices are a lot less clear. One possibility might be 7-5 Russian center Pavel Podkolzine."

The draft itself will be boring, but all of the deals around it have made this a pretty interesting postseason.

Wow, show what you know Maxx.

It was a choice between Kobe and Shaq. We chose the younger star who sells more merchandise. It was a business decision. Shaq saw the writing on the wall, and wants out. Everyone saw it coming, because we didn't sign him to an extension before the season started.

And Blitz, that dosen't help the Mavs, because their problem is defense, not offense. Right now the only people they have at all that play defense are Nash and Bradley.

Right syco, thats why there are people in the Laker offices Shaq refuses to even speak to. He kept his mouth shut while Kobe was fucking off and no one in the organization appreciated that, they're too busy coercing their rapist into staying around

Right syco, thats why there are people in the Laker offices Shaq refuses to even speak to.  He kept his mouth shut while Kobe was fucking off and no one in the organization appreciated that, they're too busy coercing  their rapist into staying around

everyone go read the article by Fiend on ESPN.com for Shaq's p.o.v

Full Name: Pavel Podkolzine 

Position: Center 

Height/Weight: 7-5 / 260 

Birthdate: January 15, 1985 (Novosibirsk, Russia) 

High School: 

Team: Varese (Italy) 

Originally an early entry candidate for the 2003 NBA Draft before with withdrawing his name. Prior to the draft, he was diagnosed with acromegaly, a hormonal disorder that occurs when the pituitary gland produces excess growth hormone (GH). He’s currently treating the condition with medication, though surgery remains another possible course of action.

Career Notes: Was playing for his hometown team, Novosibirsk, in Russian B League, when he signed in December 2001 with Metis Varese of the Italian League. He had very little high-level playing experience and was assigned to Varese’s junior team. His progress and sheer size earned him a promotion to Varese’s team in Italy’s top league midway through the 2002-03 season. Won the silver medal at the 200 European Cadets Championship with the Russian National Team.

2003-04: Playing the full season for Varese of Italy’s top league, he appeared in 22 games, averaging 2.6 points and 2.3 rebounds. Appeared in 14 games in the ULEB Cup, averaging 4.1 points and 3.6 rebounds.

2002-03: Playing for Varese in the top league, he played 62 minutes over 10 games. Compiled 24 points, 20 rebounds and 10 steals in the 62 minutes. Appeared in seven games in the ULEB Cup, averaging 3.1 points and 4.9 rebounds.

2001-02: Played part of season for Varese’s junior team after signing in December 2001.

Strengths: He is a developing player with enormous size and good potential. Owns a nice shooting touch for a big man and decent mobility. According to some reports, he has a great work ethic and shows emotion on the court.

Personal: Speaks English, Italian and Russian. Favorite NBA player is Ben Wallace of the Detroit Pistons. Wears a size 21 shoe.

This is gonna be a star or stud... Now that I look at him, I don't really think he has proved anything. From what I had heard, I thought he was set, and was going to be able to make an immediate impact.

Right syco, thats why there are people in the Laker offices Shaq refuses to even speak to.  He kept his mouth shut while Kobe was fucking off and no one in the organization appreciated that, they're too busy coercing  their rapist into staying around

Because of the way they treated him. Basically, the whole front office, from Jerry Buss to Mitch Kupchak, decided to side with Kobe instead of him.

Should it have been handled differently? Yes, it should.

Stop trying to prove me wrong all the time. I'm here, I hear things you don't.

Wow the NBA draft is going to be so much more exciting this year..

last season we already knew who the first 3 picks were.. this season we essentially know the first 3.. but with Orlando still hush hush.. there's some suspense to it.. plus a lot of deals are about to go down within the next 2 hours..

I'm pumped.. just a few more minutes