Guest StreetzHopin

• Replies 543
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nets considering trading first-round draft pick

By TOM CANAVAN, AP Sports Writer

June 21, 2004

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. (AP) -- The New Jersey Nets will likely trade their first-round draft pick, No. 22 overall, team president Rod Thorn said Monday.

Thorn refused to comment on a report that the Nets would send the pick in Thursday night's draft to the Portland Trail Blazers for backup point guard Eddie Gill and $3 million.

``We haven't done it yet,'' Thorn said Monday. ``That doesn't mean we might not do it later.''

Mark Bartelstein, Gill's agent, confirmed the teams were discussing a trade.

If the deal reported by ESPN.com goes through, the Trail Blazers would have three picks in the first round, the 13th, 22nd and 23rd. The lowest one is their own. The other was obtained from Memphis in a deal last season for Bonzi Wells.

Thorn said the Nets have questions about the talent level in the draft.

``If we do this, it's because there is no one at No. 22 who we think is worth making a guaranteed three-year contract commitment to,'' Thorn said.

New Jersey also has a second-round pick, No. 51 overall.

Trading the No. 1 pick also isn't a big deal for the Nets because they hope to finally sign center Nenad Krstic, their No. 1 draft pick in 2002 who has been playing in Europe.

Gill appeared in 22 games with the Trail Blazers last season, averaging 2.3 points. He appeared in eight games with the Nets in 2000-2001, when they won 26 games in Byron Scott's first season as coach.

Guest StreetzHopin

Done Deal, Charlotte Bobcats now have the 2nd overall pick. There goes Atlanta's chance at getting Dwight Howard...

This is how the Rockets McGrady jersey may look...

tmacrockets.jpg

Edited by StreetzHopin

Guest Takayamanofear

This might make them more dangerous for the expansion draft considering that they only have 1 draft pick now.

Wasen't there talk that Iverson might get traded to. This is one crazy offseason right now.

Guest StreetzHopin

yea when the whole A.I. trade rumor was going around i was wondering if Philly & Chicago would strike a Jamal Crawford & Bulls 1st Round Draft Pick(3rd Overall) for Allen Iverson, but so far nothing.....

Guest StreetzHopin

its not official yet, they have to wait till after the Expansion draft to make sure the Bobcats dont get one of those players who arent protected...

As good as the TMAC/Yao team is going to be, i honestly think the Rockets need atleast 1 more impact player. I mean out west where almost every major team has a 3 player punch (Mavericks:Nowitski,Nash,Finley---T'Wolves:Garnett,Cassell,Sprewell---Kings:Webber,Stojackovic,Bibby---Spurs:Duncan,Parker,Ginobili) its hard to see TMAC & Yao getting past the 1st or 2nd round without another impact player...

Edited by StreetzHopin

Guest bukkake bandit

Rockets would send over another guy too, but I forget his name. And when is Steve Francis ever happy?

Yeah, if the Bobcats get any of the three unprotected players the trade is dead.

Edited by Anthony

Guest StreetzHopin

Bostjan Nachbar is the other player the Rockets would send to Orlando.

Well well well, Derek Fisher may opt out of his contract, and may go to Houston, where he would take over Francis' spot, so we would have Fisher/McGrady/Yao in Houston....

Edited by StreetzHopin

A Mavericks deal sending Nowitski for Shaq doesn't make any sense at all.. almost everywhere down the line Nowitski is better than Shaq. In fact the Mavericks really have no need getting a "scoring' powerhouse as a Center. The Mavericks problem has always been they do not have the stopper down low. The Ben Wallace, Theo Ratliff, Kenyon Martin prototype player. Shaq would just be another Antoine Walker situation.

A good player, stuck on a team full of shooters.

Better Shooter: Dirk

Better Dribbler: Dirk

Better FT Shooter: Dirk

Potential: Dirk

Contract: Dirk

Low Post Defense: Shaq

Low Post Offense: Shaq

Guest StreetzHopin

theres no secret, almost any GM in the league would rather have Shaq over Dirk, i mean hell its Shaq, 300-sumtin pounds, and nobody can stop him....Dirk's a helluva player though.

Bobcats Get: 2nd Overall Draft Pick & C Predrag Drobnjak

Clippers Get: Bobcats 1st & 2nd Round Draft Picks

This trade is just about a done deal....

Done, except that the Bobcats agree to select Drobnjak in the expansion draft.

Orlando's Tracy McGrady could move to Houston in a major trade involving fellow All-Star Steve Francis plus veterans Cuttino Mobley and Juwan Howard.

The deal could involve up to eight players, but is reportedly on hold pending Tuesday's expansion draft for the Charlotte Bobcats.

It is believed McGrady will go to the Rockets along with Howard, Andrew DeClercq, Tyronn Lue and Reece Gaines for Francis, Mobley and Kelvin Cato.

Houston would add a star in McGrady, a three-time All-NBA selection and the league's leading scorer the past two seasons.

The deal might not be finalised until July because of salary-cap complications, the Orlando Sentinal newspaper reported.

Wow.

As a Rockets fan, I am split on this. One hand, the T-Mac - Yao duo would be the best in the West. On the other hand, trading Francis, Cato, AND Mobley might be too much.

There's also talks of Derek Fisher signing with Houston now that he has opted out.

I'm not sure if

Yao - Cato - J. Jackson - Mobley - Francis

beats

Yao - M. Taylor - J. Jackson - T-Mac - Fisher

:ohwell:

Babcock denies Carter-76ers rumors

TSN.ca Staff

6/22/2004

The Toronto Raptors are denying reports that star Vince Carter is about to be traded.

General manager Rob Babcock tells the Toronto Star he has not had any specific trade talks with any team.

A report out of Philadelphia had the 76ers considering a trade which would send their disgruntled star, Allen Iverson, to Toronto for Carter. At least one source in Philadelphia called the report a "fraud".

Babcock was in Buffalo on Monday working out a number of potential draft prospects for the upcoming draft. He also reportedly met with Detroit Pistons assistant Mike Woodson, who is a candidate for the vacant head coaching position.

If Babcock hopes to be liked in Toronto this better be just a rumour. I like AI but no chance in hell would I ship Vince to get him.