No Region Encoding for PS3?

zero

It's being reported in the new issue of Game Informer that the PS3 may not have any regional lockout, meaning you can play Japanese PS3 games on a US PS3 console. Incredibly cool. However, in what has to be Sony's dumbest move since two controller ports on the PS2, they are working on a patent to technology that allows games to be played only on one system, meaning once you put MGS4 in your PS3, it will only work on your PS3. The death of used games and taking a game over to your buddy's house to play. Fucking morons.

It's being reported in the new issue of Game Informer that the PS3 may not have any regional lockout, meaning you can play Japanese PS3 games on a US PS3 console. Incredibly cool. However, in what has to be Sony's dumbest move since two controller ports on the PS2, they are working on a patent to technology that allows games to be played only on one system, meaning once you put MGS4 in your PS3, it will only work on your PS3. The death of used games and taking a game over to your buddy's house to play. Fucking morons.

Yeah, I've known this for a while (thank the uber geek in my class).

The idea of playing it on one console is just stupid, it will limit sales on EBay and you can't get preowned games for cheap. Such a shame they have to do that.

On the upside, finally I can play NCAA football because I can import it from America since we dont get it here.

Guest Dakendo

Jesus, the latter would be HORRIBLE, if it's true. It's bad ass to take games round to your mate's house and play them, and as CKN mentioned, what about renting? There'd also be the complications of, in the case of your PS3 breaking and getting a new one, getting the games sorted for the new station. Seems more trouble than it's worth, to be honest with you.

Guest The Trooper

Well, i guess that means that gamers have a choice between a flawed X-Box 360 or a PS3 that can only play your games.

The difference is that once 1.2 of the X-Box 360 has been released, most faults will be fixed AND their killer apps will be out before the PS3 is out.

It's not a big deal in my mind, I never rent things anyway and I sell games from time to time, but I don't mind holding on to them...

It may not be a big deal to you, but you can't deny that it's a fucking stupid move. I can't really see any redeeming factors in doing this, other than it forces you to pay more money. One of the biggest selling points for the Playstation is it's huge catalogue of games, which is almost negated by this move, if it is true. It means if you don't buy a game as soon as it's released, you're going to have a hell of a time trying to get a hold of a copy that hasn't already been patented to someone else's machine.

I'd hope it is just a rumour, because it sounds pretty fucking stupid to me.

Maybe they'll make rentable versions of the game?

Then whats the point in making non-rentable versions?

Maybe they'll make rentable versions of the game?

Then whats the point in making non-rentable versions?

Non-rentable versions are created to where you can't just sell used games, or trade with friends etc. thus it would allow the rental business to thrive somewhat, as that's the only way you can get a game to try before you buy really. But then people would probably steal from rental stores knowing how people are.

It is a shitty move no matter how you cut it, that's just the only way I can see it even being semi-acceptable.

No, I mean, if they're going to go to the trouble of making a version of the game that is unpatented, then why bother patenting the rest?

I hope its a rumour, becuase I had no idea Sony could stoop so low on the stupidity scale.

Whilst they have actually patented the software, I doubt they'll implement.

Sony Patent

One of Sony Europe's spokepersons issued a response back in November.

While US Sony reps think the best way to deal with gossip is silence, Sony Europe spokespersons have apparently decided to put this particular rumor to rest. According to the London Guardian's

tech blog, SCEE PR manger Jennie Kong blasted the rumor as " false speculation." "PlayStation 3 software will not be copy protected to a single machine but will be playable on any PlayStation 3 console," she told the Guardian.