Celtic on the verge of winning the race to sign Roy Keane

Lineker

• Admin

Celtic are reported to have won the race to sign ex-Manchester United captain Roy Keane.

The uncompromising midfielder was believed to be on the verge of joining Real Madrid, but now appears to have performed a u-turn and agreed terms with his boyhood heroes.

According to The Sun, Keane has decided to take a huge drop from the £90,000 weekly salary he received at Old Trafford in order to make the move to Celtic possible.

If the stories turn out to be true, they will come as a major blow to Madrid, Bolton, Middlesbrough and Everton, who were all keen to land the 34-year-old Irishman following his acrimonious exit from United.

Good. Now we won't come up against him or Vieria. Joy. Plus Celtic might become good again.

I was watching football update last night or whatever, one person was crying that Madrid should get him while the smart, intellectual guy who knew what he was seemingly talking about was asking all these questions "Why do they want him?" "They have fringe players who won't get to play" "Madrid probably won't continue their interest in him." (Even though I never heard Madrid particularly wanted him - I heard they were linked, but I don't remember saying Madrid saying "We want Keane.")

I was watching football update last night or whatever, one person was crying that Madrid should get him while the smart, intellectual guy who knew what he was seemingly talking about was asking all these questions "Why do they want him?" "They have fringe players who won't get to play" "Madrid probably won't continue their interest in him." (Even though I never heard Madrid particularly wanted him - I heard they were linked, but I don't remember saying Madrid saying "We want Keane.")

I think what it comes down to is that Madrid have got a great team but a fucking awful squad. Most of the guys in the fringes obviously aren't anywhere near the level they need to be when they come into the team.

Like in 03/04 when Valencia won the league. When Madrid out some squad players, they got arsed 5 games in a row. And this season in the Champions League when they had already qualified, they put out some squad players against Olympiakos. They got beat 2-1 from a team that couldn't even qualify for the UEFA Cup. Perhaps those aren't the best examples, but the squad players just don't look up to scratch when they play in the first team.

I think Keane could be good for Madrid. What they need is someone who is willing to sit back, defend and organize the whole team.