Crap Acting Performances, In Otherwise-Good Films

Farmer Reil

There are loads of topics about great actors/actresses, but I just watched King Arthur (for the fourth or fifth time), and I've come to the conclusion that just about anyone in the entire world could've played Arthur better than Clive Owen.

He was more wooden than the Saxon shields...

I haven't seen any other movies with him in, so maybe it was just a bad month for the guy, but he was absolutely dire.

(Kiera Knightley wearing about three belts worth of leather and calling it a costume in the last battle made up for it, almost. But still ¬_¬)

So yeah, what other times stick in your mind, of films you've really enjoyed, except for one or two particular actors?

Michael Madsen was unremarkable in Sin City, which was a major disappointment. And whilst I didn't HATE Lucy Liu in Kill Bill, I wish Tarantino would have gotten someone else to play O-Ren.

Orlando Bloom in Troy. Pitt wasn't great I admit, but compared to Bloom, Pitt was sensational.

Orlando Bloom in Pirates of the Caribbean. He had all the emotion of a stick.

There's bound to me more I can think of, possibly involving Orlando Bloom.

I didn't find Hayden Christensen bad at all either until the overly dramatic "NOOOOOOOOOOO" at the end of III.

Back to Madsen's Sin City. I've already stated the reason I like it, and how I thought he played it perfectly to capture that sort of feel to that part of the film. But don't you think that his role was more do to the writer and director than his acting ability? Granted he had to act it, but he can only act what is written and what the director tells him. I still believe he was a perfect type 50's Noir-esque dirty cop, maybe even ala Orson Welles like.

Orlando Bloom in Troy. Pitt wasn't great I admit, but compared to Bloom, Pitt was sensational.

Orlando Bloom in Pirates of the Caribbean. He had all the emotion of a stick.

There's bound to me more I can think of, possibly involving Orlando Bloom.

Having loved the original story, I only really liked Sean Bean and Eric Bana in Troy.

I actually thought Clive Owen was the best part of King Arthur...although for entirely different reasons.

Danny Glover in Saw. People say Cary Elwes was bad in it but I thought he did a really good job. Danny Glover though....I mean...damn.

I thought Ioan Gruffudd & Jessica Alba sucked in Fantastic Four, but the rest of the cast and the story was pure gold. To me atleast.

Julian McMahon was the best out of the bunch, though. The guy just oozes badass-ness.

I didn't find Hayden Christensen bad at all either until the overly dramatic "NOOOOOOOOOOO" at the end of III.

You should blame Lucas for that, as opposed to Christensen, and even then, it was James Earl Jones who did the NOOOOOO that we heard, so blame him then. :P

Michael Madsen was unremarkable in Sin City, which was a major disappointment. And whilst I didn't HATE Lucy Liu in Kill Bill, I wish Tarantino would have gotten someone else to play O-Ren.

I agree with you about Madsen. After seeing him be absolutely awesome in everything else I've seen him in, maybe I was just expecting too much.

I can't disagree with you more about O'Ren, though. I think you're way off there.

That wasn't, Hayden, actually...

... it was James Earl Jones who did the NOOOOOO that we heard, so blame him then. :P

...er, fuckoff.

As for Kingdom of Heaven, holy shit there are a lot of good actors in there that are fucking INVISIBLE.I didn't recognize Doctor Bashir out of uniform, and EDWARD FUCKING NORTON? WHAT THE FUCK. The dude makes like 9 figures and you hide him behind a fucking mask for the whole fucking thing? Fuck off.

I always thought Bloom was under-whelming in Lord of the Rings. It may have been because of the awesomeness of the rest of the cast but I thought he sucked.

I've been underwhelemd by everything Bloom has done. People are all like, "He's an amazing actor." But I totally don't see it.

I agree with you about Madsen. After seeing him be absolutely awesome in everything else I've seen him in, maybe I was just expecting too much.

I can't disagree with you more about O'Ren, though. I think you're way off there.