"Chop Suey!" by SOAD

Benji

Many people have different interpretations of this song, as I have discovered from chats on MSN and at work today. So I thought I'd ask you how you interpret the lyrics? Or do you at all?

The reason I ask is I was listening to the lyrics earlier and realised how it could be construed as saying soldiers at war are just like expendable chess pieces, I'll expand on certain lyrics here if anyone cares enough, but I'd like to see what other people think too ^_^

Wake up

Grab a brush and put a little (makeup)

Hide the scars to fade away the (shakeup)

Why’d you leave the keys upon the table?

Here you go create another fable

The intro, the scars comment is more literal than most of the song, pointing to scars and pain from war, as well as politicians hiding (or putting make up over) their own reasons for war, which also leads to the 'fable'.

I don’t think you trust

In, my, self righteous suicide

I, cry, when angels deserve to die, die

Not trusting politicians, they're all weasels etc etc, self righteous suicide is the ideal of being a hero by dying for your country, therefore being an 'angel'.

Father, father, father, father

Father into your hands, I commend my spirit

Father into your hands

Now this could be read two ways, first placing your trust, as a soldier or a civilian into your government, or, in the literal sense, dying at war and going to your ideal of heaven.

Why have you forsaken me

In your eyes forsaken me

In your thoughts forsaken me

In your heart forsaken, me oh

And then the realisation it was all for nothing, you are no hero, just a guy who died at war, a statistic like everyone else, 'in your thoughts' forgotten.

That's the basics of it, like I said, if people want to tear me apart, go ahead, I just want to see what people make of it.

I'm not going to try and interpret them, as I don't generally do that, but SOAD are the perfect example of a band (another example being Tool) where there are so many different interpretations and readings, and not one is usually prevalent.

So you can usually read it how you want to, and as long as you can back up why, then fair enough.

I'm not going to try and interpret them, as I don't generally do that, but SOAD are the perfect example of a band (another example being Tool) where there are so many different interpretations and readings, and not one is usually prevalent.

So you can usually read it how you want to, and as long as you can back up why, then fair enough.

I disagree in the sense that there is a general meaning to what each songwriter was putting into it, but because the words they use and the way they say it is where the different interpretations come in. So, I agree to an extent, but I also feel that each songwriter(s) had a definite message in their lyrics, they just won't tell anybody. :P

But in that same sense, a lot of songwriters are purposely ambiguous so that the songs can be read in several ways, even if they obviously have a more definitive vision in thier head.

I'm inclined to go with TheArsenal's friend.

The "Father into your hands I commit my spirit" line, followed by "Why have you forsaken me?", plus the fact that it's described as a "self-righteous suicide" definitely speaks of a guy killing himself by crucifixion in mimicry of Jesus.

I kinda' figured it had something to do with crucifixion either way, but it's interesting that you bring it up at this time of year.

I think people read too far into songs like this, there wasn't a major war going on when the song was written was there? Either way, it's either just a fun song or I'd go with the upfront meaning of religion from the Bible quotes.

You realise that wars don't have to be going on for it to be anti-war? And that you can pretty much guarantee there is a war somewhere at any given time?

Reading into songs is what some people like doing, but this just kind of came to me and I started wondering what the actual meaning was.

I think people read too far into songs like this, there wasn't a major war going on when the song was written was there? Either way, it's either just a fun song or I'd go with the upfront meaning of religion from the Bible quotes.

Essentially I'd imagine it was about a specific event, i.e someone doing a religous symbol in a similar way to Jesus but with strong connections to the rest of the world at the same time.

Since it's my belief that the Bible and all religion should not be taken literally and is a complete metaphore (I feel really strongly about that) I always imagine anything about religion to be both about that paticular story or moment and also comparing to other things which happen in this world.

Urrgh. Booyah!