Jon Stewart to Host Oscars

Ananas

Jon Stewart to host '06 Academy Awards

January 5, 2006

LOS ANGELES-- Jon Stewart has been tapped to host this year's Oscars, the Academy of Motions Pictures Arts and Sciences announced Thursday.

The Academy Awards show's producer said Stewart has many of the qualities of previous masters of ceremonies.

"Jon is the epitome of a perfect host-- smart, engaging, irreverent and funny," producer Gil Cates said.

Stewart, 43, hosts Comedy Central's "The Daily Show with Jon Stewart," which has earned seven Emmys and a Peabody award. He also won the 2005 Thurber Prize for American Humor for his book, "The Daily Show with Jon Stewart Presents America (The Book): A Citizen's Guide to Democracy Inaction."

Stewart, who will host the Academy Awards telecast for the first time, also has appeared in several movies, including "The Faculty," "Death to Smoochy" and "Big Daddy."

"As a performer, I'm truly honored to be hosting the show," Stewart said, then joked: "Although, as an avid watcher of the Oscars, I can't help but be a little disappointed with the choice. It appears to be another sad attempt to smoke out Billy Crystal."

Stewart follows a long line of standup comedians who have hosted the Oscars. Over the years, Bob Hope, Johnny Carson, Whoopi Goldberg and Crystal have held down the podium.

Speculation swirled after Chris Rock's departure about who would replace him. Frequently mentioned candidates included Goldberg, Steve Martin and late-night hosts Jay Leno and Conan O'Brien.

Rock drew younger viewers to last year's telecast, but his barbs skewering stars like Jude Law, Tobey Maguire and others alienated some academy members. Rock is currently producing and narrating "Everybody Hates Chris," a sitcom on UPN based on his life.

The 78th annual Academy Awards will air March 5 on ABC from Hollywood.

That sounds like a pretty good choice, and like T.C. Douglas, I'm glad that it isn't old-school Billy Crystal, Steve Martin, or Whoopie Goldberg( :puke: )

Edited by Laice_

Nothing against Jon Stewart because I think he'll be a great host but Chris Rock should've definately came back. It's not his fault Jude Law and Sean Penn can't take jokes.

I didn't see the show because I generally avoid stuff like that, but isn't it pretty much accepted that Rock sucked as a host?

Nothing against Jon Stewart because I think he'll be a great host but Chris Rock should've definately came back. It's not his fault Jude Law and Sean Penn can't take jokes.

I didn't see the show because I generally avoid stuff like that, but isn't it pretty much accepted that Rock sucked as a host?

requently mentioned candidates included Goldberg, Steve Martin and late-night hosts Jay Leno and Conan O'Brien.

Upon my first reading I thought this meant Bill, not Whoopi Goldberg. Although I'd actually watch if Goldberg did present the Oscars.

Now they just gotta get Conan to host the Emmys and all will be good.

He made it official on Thursday's Daily Show. This will fucking rock and should be hilarious if he's allowed to be himself and go all out. For the first time in years the host is actually a good choice. Now let's hope he doesn't pull a Letterman and fuck it up.

TGC